• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at building a 6.5 grendel for long range plinking 500-600 yards. What are everyone's recommended barrels for accuracy?

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I currently have a bear creek arsenal 18" barrel. It has an MOA guarantee and it is MOA with factory ammo. With my handloads it improves to .7-.8 MOA. It gas mud length gas and I have an adjustable gas block for it. Very soft shooting gun. No brake just a flash hider. I've shot out to 800 and hit about 80%.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've built one for a customer and one for myself with Odin works 20" barrels. We've both been very happy with them. I've only shot mine at ERGC a couple of times. Both times with the Hornady black, 123gr. Easily sub MOA with very little effort.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've built one for a customer and one for myself with Odin works 20" barrels. We've both been very happy with them. I've only shot mine at ERGC a couple of times. Both times with the Hornady black, 123gr. Easily sub MOA with very little effort.

Do any shooting with the Wolf steel case stuff? Kind of intrigued by 6.5G but not sure if I want to jump into another more expensive AR caliber (more expensive than 5.56 at least).

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Do any shooting with the Wolf steel case stuff? Kind of intrigued by 6.5G but not sure if I want to jump into another more expensive AR caliber (more expensive than 5.56 at least).

I've got a Robinson arms XCR with a 16" light barrel that's been great for the few mags of the Wolf Grendel I've put through it. I'm getting 2+ moa with a 4x ACOG. Pretty happy with that for the price. Sgammo has it for $.26 a round with their shipping

Hispeed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the one I'm running. And it loves Hornady ELD-M 123gr.
    3d41e553215ccbded14227699bd5cdfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all feedback. I've looked pretty hard at the Odin Works seem to be consistently accurate for the money. The Satern is more than I was wanting to spend though in sure it's dead accurate.

Doc, how was the fit and finish on the Bear Creek barrel? From what little I can find on them the reviews seem to be all over.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hard to beat Ballistic Advantage... their .308 barrels are sub MOA, I have five of them.

I have two Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel barrels, one 20" and one 18" but have yet to build them... but with their MOA Guarantee, I'm not worried.

For the cost, I just don't think you can beat them...

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've been happy with several different BA barrels. Haven't tried the Grendel yet. Faxon has some offerings as well.

CaptGene

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No question in my mind that Shilen is the best. I built two 6.5G. One with Shilen and one with PAC (?) Barrel. Shilen was hands down the better Barrel even though cost was about the same. You can see I have already put the other barrel maker out of my memory.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did purchase from alexander arms an 18 inch barreled 6.5 grendel upper. I have not taken it to the range yet. The only ammo I currently have is the berdan steel and varnished steel case from wolf. Brass boxer cases are through the roof in pricing at the moment.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just picked up an AR performance barrel pretty cheap. Figured I’d try the round out before investing an arm and a leg. Once it’s put together I’ll let everyone know how it does.

Top Bottom