Votes: 9 56.3%
    • Gen 5

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It's been a while since I had a glock 19, but I've always appreciated the reliability and am considering getting another one. I remember liking the gen 3....never really saw the point in the finger grooved grips but I didn't see it as a big deal either.

Am I missing something.....is the 4 or 5 any better than the old reliable gen 3? What gen do you prefer?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like Gen 4's. The texture and mag release is better than Gen 3 for me. I had a Gen 5 for a week or so, but my handloads kept getting stuck in the chamber.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I heard this complaint several times at the Glock match in Taladega. Seems the new match barrels are causing handloaders a lot of issues.

Interesting. My loads were even shorter than normal, to fit in my CZ's. I never did any research on it (especially since I got it just a couple days after they came out), so I didn't realize others had the same issue.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Gen 5 barrel has a tighter throat which minimizes the gap with jacketed bullets (.355”). My loads using jhp/fmj plunks just fine. What causes issues with reloads are .356” bullets. I have to significantly shorten the OAL with coated bullets (.356”). Bullet profile dictates OAL. Some are pointy some are blunt.

nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I just saw that the G26 Gen 5 is coming out on 22Jan. It doesn't have the front cutout. Maybe that's the answer....buy some G19 and/or G17 mags to go with it? Hmmmmm. Something else to think about.

9mm

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    match = tight tolerances and a more picky gun,

Gen 4 or 3 is just fine and reliable.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I like the grip texture and slide finish of the Gen 3, but much prefer the mag release on the Gen 4. Finger grooves never bothered me. Handled a few Gen 5s in the stores, felt strange to me... can't tell if the front cutout would bother me or not, as I didn't get to shoot it.

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll be purchasing a glock 19 soon. Trying to figure out if I should get gen 4 or 5. Held both and they both feel great in my hand. Anyone shot both and noticed any difference? Trigger action?

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'll be purchasing a glock 19 soon. Trying to figure out if I should get gen 4 or 5. Held both and they both feel great in my hand. Anyone shot both and noticed any difference? Trigger action?

I shot both. trigger is slightly bump-less on G5. still a Glock trigger and nothing to write home about. if you shoot enough Glock, you will be familiar with Glock knuckle. its a callous that forms on your strong hand middle finger knuckle from rubbing the trigger guard. I dont get that anymore with G5 frame as I can freely move my grip slightly lower to prevent rubbing on the guard. with G4, your grip is locked in. accuracy with my handloads are about the same and I am not a good enough shot that I can tell the difference. But apparently, Glock redesigned the barrel on G5 to meet the requirement of Army's MHS (modular handgun system) of 90% 50 rounds in 4" circle at 50 meters. so "technically", it is more accurate with FACTORY loads using a solid fixture. Glock will not pour money on new barrel design for nothing. but many internet "experts" believe that the "marksman" barrel is just a marketing gimmick. last but not the least, the flared magwell. its a great addition IMO whether concealed carry or competition but it will not make you an instant reload master if you dont practice. some experts also reported that their pinky finger get "pinched" at the cutout from reloads. I have not experience this issue maybe because I insert the magazine inline with the frame. I can see how one can get pinched when inserting the magazine at a wonky angle but that is not the guns fault.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a loaner Gen5 17 for about a month. I think I'm going to pick up a Gen 5 19. I sold my last Gen2 and only have Gen3s right now other than my G26 Gen4.

Top Bottom