• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have been thinking of getting some plates and a carrier to keep under the bed for possible bumps in the night. For those with experience what can you tell me about choosing the right ones. I will not be doing obstacle courses with them or jumping out of airplanes with them but do want something functional for obvious reasons. I am 6' tall and 230lbs. I have no clue what my budget would be. What do I need to know?

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have two Highcom Security plates. They are stand alone Level IV plates, multi-curve shooters cut. They are in a Tag Banshee carrier. I initially purchased them for similar reasons as you, bump in the night, etc. But I also use them at work.
    I went with Highcom because of the price and the discount I got at the time.

At the time I was first looking, I researched ceramic plates and the AR500. The AR500 steel plates needed to be Rhino-lined to decrease spalling. I also didn't like the weight of the AR500 plates. My carrier and the two plates is around 16 pounds.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Bump. I keep seeing "cheap" carriers on Slickguns. Anyone have experience with carriers in the $50 range? Of course that does not include plates.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have and use a Condor Modular Operator Plate Carrier (MOPC). I know a couple other guys who run them as well and are very happy with them. They are right around $60 but can sometimes find them a little lower. I like it a lot. It has held up really well to some pretty hard use. The right amount of adjustment points to get it fitting just right as well. I would ask yourself what kinds of features you are looking for in a carrier. The MOPC can either be run with or without the cummerbund. The cummerbund has built in carriers for side plates. If running without it there is webbing with heavy duty buckles. You can run kangaroo pouches in it if you want to keep it slim or can molle anything on it you want. You can take off or leave the shoulder pads on it. The only thing I did to mine to make it better was use small bungee cords on the back of the cummerbund to keep it tight because I can't stand a loose carrier. Hope this helps a little.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bought this setup about 2.5 years ago as a patrol deputy to carry in my passenger seat in case of an active shooter situation. I don’t have any use for it anymore since I transferred off of patrol about 6 months later and was issued entry gear.

Banshee carrier, 2 10x12 curved shooters cut AR500 plates, 2 HSGI taco pistol and rifle mag pouches, HSGI taco double rifle mag pouch. (Holds 2 pistol mags, 4 rifle mags total) I paid around $450 and thankfully never had to use it, I’d take $350 for it.

D296393F-6E9F-4568-BDBD-3305C7AEA2DA.jpg

Attachments

• D296393F-6E9F-4568-BDBD-3305C7AEA2DA.jpg
      D296393F-6E9F-4568-BDBD-3305C7AEA2DA.jpg
      177.2 KB · Views: 428
    Last edited:

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought this setup about 2.5 years ago as a patrol deputy to carry in my passenger seat in case of an active shooter situation. I don’t have any use for it anymore since I transferred off of patrol about 6 months later and was issued entry gear.

Banshee carrier, 2 10x12 curved shooters cut AR500 plates, 2 HSGI taco pistol and rifle mag pouches, HSGI taco double rifle mag pouch. (Holds 2 pistol mags, 4 rifle mags total) I paid around $450 and thankfully never had to use it, I’d take $350 for it.

View attachment 70124

What Level rating is the armor? Thanks.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    things that go bump in the night don't usually carry a rifle do they? I thought that plates were more for rifle rounds? My bump in the night has soft Level IIIA that should protect up to .44 Mag and very maneuverable with. Then you can also drop in a plate if you think it may be necessary and the soft armor shields against spalling...that reminds me that I need to pick up some plates for my side panels.

I use a carrier from BDS Tactical. I don't know if any of this is correct...just what I do for around the house. It seconds as a range protector when I maybe around unfamiliar people in training events and slide in the plate if transitioning is taking place.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I also use the AR500 armor plates. The ones I have are level IIIA. I want to upgrade them to the lightweight level III+ 10"x12" plates, but that is not a priority right now. I bought my plates back when AR500 first started selling them. That was just over six years ago. I bought my plate carrier setup from Tactical Tailor around the same time. I bought the separate components and put them together so that I could custom-tailor my rig.

Front
    6VVO0CW.jpg

Rear (w/ hydration pouch)
    gJ7Z3d4.jpg

Last edited:

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm considering getting some armor to wear while deer hunting. Twice this season I've had other hunter's rounds come close enough to hear them ripping up the foliage around me. Not sure I would actually need Level IV to stop conventional hunting rounds but the former owner left enough 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag cases in the shoot houses and under tree stands to give me pause about which Level to go with.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    With all of this talk about plate carriers and re-assessing mine, I made a decision to upgrade. I just ordered a AR500 Armor® Testudo™ Plate Carrier - Gen 2 in multi-cam. It will be much easier to use, put on, and take off. Most likely, I will have my present carrier for sale soon. Of course, that is without all of the pouches.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yeah I think for the majority of us "non-door kickers" this would suffice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I know that I am old and waaaaay behind the times . . . but I really can't understand all this talk about wearing armor plateing.
    First - - -> It protects 1 sq ft in front and 1sq ft in back . . . THAT'S IT !!
    Second - - -> I feel that I should be doing other things besides putting a plate carrier on if I am woke up in the middle of the night.
    Third - - -> If out and about I feel that I should be doing other things besides putting on a plate carrier when the shooting starts. NOW . . . all this could be different if I was gonna run towards the gunfire. But why do that.
    Fourth - - -> When I jump out my truck at Tom Thumb to run in for some fried chicken livers I probably would not bother slippin' into my armor plating. And if it was in the middle of being robbed I would most likely just drive off (even as much as I like fried chicken livers)
    Fifth - - -> You "operators","trainers",and people with their first or last name "tactical ". VELCRO SUCKS AND COULD GET YOU KILLED !!! Why ?? IT'S LOUD!! Can you think of any scenario where you would want your position concealed. I can think of several and my last name is not "tactical ". In that period of time when you would prefer stealth,now you find you gotta tear away a bunch of velcro to get to your extra mag,or tourniquet for that gushing femoral artery hit you just took.
    Go to a quiet place and get into all 27 pockets of that turtle shell. How quiet were you ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are using plates with a shoulder arm, the real time length of pull for the buttstock may be longer when wearing the armor. Apparently some military types have special ways of shouldering their rifles because of the plate armor.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I know that I am old and waaaaay behind the times . . . but I really can't understand all this talk about wearing armor plateing.
    First - - -> It protects 1 sq ft in front and 1sq ft in back . . . THAT'S IT !!
    Second - - -> I feel that I should be doing other things besides putting a plate carrier on if I am woke up in the middle of the night.
    Third - - -> If out and about I feel that I should be doing other things besides putting on a plate carrier when the shooting starts. NOW . . . all this could be different if I was gonna run towards the gunfire. But why do that.
    Fourth - - -> When I jump out my truck at Tom Thumb to run in for some fried chicken livers I probably would not bother slippin' into my armor plating. And if it was in the middle of being robbed I would most likely just drive off (even as much as I like fried chicken livers)
    Fifth - - -> You "operators","trainers",and people with their first or last name "tactical ". VELCRO SUCKS AND COULD GET YOU KILLED !!! Why ?? IT'S LOUD!! Can you think of any scenario where you would want your position concealed. I can think of several and my last name is not "tactical ". In that period of time when you would prefer stealth,now you find you gotta tear away a bunch of velcro to get to your extra mag,or tourniquet for that gushing femoral artery hit you just took.
    Go to a quiet place and get into all 27 pockets of that turtle shell. How quiet were you ?? --- SAWMAN

Bill,

Plate carriers are not for every occasion. Primarily, for civilians, they would be worn in a couple situations. First would be training. You should train with what your loadout would be in a SHTF situation. Second would be a SHTF situation. That is why I have a carrier setup. It is much like having a concealed carry weapon and likening it to an insurance policy. It is better to have one than have not. Granted that plates only cover a 10'x12" area front and back (if using them in both locations). That is to protect the vital organs. Some guys will go as far to have armor plates (usually 5"x5") on the sides as well as some carriers are designed to accept these while others are not. Also, as far as the Velcro situation, when you are engaged in a firefight and having to pull out a fresh magazine, you are not in "stealth mode" at that point. You would always have your primary and secondary weapons loaded with fresh magazines before any engagements. In the instance of having to address a wound and having to rip out a first aid kit or tourniquet, again, you are not in stealth mode at that time either. Velcro will make no difference other than being able to quickly access what you need. You have to have magazines and any other accoutrements securely fastened and pouches with Velcro closures are your best choices. Rifle magazine pouches with elastic bands are excellent choices. I have three of these on my rig along with an AR-15 double-magazine pouch with a Velcro closure.

atJUA9n.jpg

This same configuration will transfer over to my new carrier when it arrives.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Skdtac is running 20% off through tonight. They've got some good plate options at a good price.

It's one of those things you don't "need"...... Until you do.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Top Bottom