• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Understood . . . I guess that I am trying to understand what the younger guys,different warefare guys,are thinking.
    Waaaaaay back in the day we used small snap closures,mainly from the WWII issue stuff,or Austrian, Belgium, German,pockets,pouches,and packs. The latter all had,what we called,slide thru buckles. The American stuff with the small snaps ( NOT "press the dot" stuff) had a cover flap so most of the time we disabled the snap. We used alot of BAR mag pouches. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I understand what you are saying. Although I do not agree with the whole body armor in a civilian environment thing,especially the vests that carry a multitude of gadgets,I certinly respect you guys decission to wear body armor in the civilian environment . . . although . . . it is not for me.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Understood . . . I guess that I am trying to understand what the younger guys,different warefare guys,are thinking.
    Waaaaaay back in the day we used small snap closures,mainly from the WWII issue stuff,or Austrian, Belgium, German,pockets,pouches,and packs. The latter all had,what we called,slide thru buckles. The American stuff with the small snaps ( NOT "press the dot" stuff) had a cover flap so most of the time we disabled the snap. We used alot of BAR mag pouches. --- SAWMAN

I have had to make adjustments over the years myself. back when I joined the Marine Corps, we were still using Vietnam era 872 gear. Everything had metal snaps. They were a pain. I am more inclined to appreciate the new designs and the simplicity of use of products made over the past several years. Molle fasteners and Velcro closures have made things much easier to mount and access.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I noticed this AM that Sportsman's Guide had a couple different plate carriers.
    They looked kinda plain. Don't know if they were molle or not. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I just got my AR500 Armor® Testudo™ Plate Carrier - Gen 2 in multi-cam. Much better than what I had. Much easier to put on and take off. Not as many places to mount some pouches. I was able to mount everything I had on the other plate carrier except for two small pouches. I will post some pics tomorrow.

ETA: Look for my old plate carrier to be up for sale very soon.

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Might be a silly question, but. Does anybody make a level 4 steel plate? All the level 4 plates I see are composite or ceramic. I prefer steel for the shelf life and drop durability

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Might be a silly question, but. Does anybody make a level 4 steel plate? All the level 4 plates I see are composite or ceramic. I prefer steel for the shelf life and drop durability

Have you considered Level III+?

Manufacturer
    AR500 Armor

Armor Level
    Level III+

Armor Threat Rating
    Level III+ multi-hit protection against 5.56x45 M193, 5.56x45 M855/SS109 at 3,100 FPS (+/- 30FPS), 7.62x51 M80 Ball (ie .308) at 3,000 FPS (+/- 30FPS), and 7.62x51 AP (Black Tip) at 2,800 FPS (+/- 30FPS)

Dimensions
    10" x 12"

Armor Construction Material
    Ballistic steel core

Armor Shelf Life
    20 Years

Thickness
    0.26"

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-body-armor/ar500-armor-10-x-12-asc-level-iii-body-armor.html

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes. The level III+ will be any new sets I buy. Just thoughtif there was a level IV steel I would at least give it a look

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Do you have a link? I couldnt find it on their site

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    About how much does that rig weigh and does it include side armor?

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    About how much does that rig weigh and does it include side armor?

No side armor. Weight: 29 lbs. (includes 2 steel 10"x12" plates, 5 full 30-round PMAGs, and 4 full 17-round Beretta 92 magazines)

The weight is distributed pretty evenly. It is much more comfortable than my old carrier.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What about helmets and other protective head gear ?? If you are that serious about protecting 1sqft in front and 1sqft in back,why not the most vulnerable part of your body. Ears,eyes,brain,deserve some love also.
    Wondering also,what about the two areas between the plates,your underarms and down the side of your chest. What about the femoral, brachial,and carotid artery ?? You bleed out pretty fast from a hit in those areas also.
    JJ has a plate carrier that he puts on every time I go out to his house to shoot. Is he trying to tell me something ?? --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    What about helmets and other protective head gear ?? If you are that serious about protecting 1sqft in front and 1sqft in back,why not the most vulnerable part of your body. Ears,eyes,brain,deserve some love also.
    Wondering also,what about the two areas between the plates,your underarms and down the side of your chest. What about the femoral, brachial,and carotid artery ?? You bleed out pretty fast from a hit in those areas also.
    JJ has a plate carrier that he puts on every time I go out to his house to shoot. Is he trying to tell me something ?? --- SAWMAN

https://www.bulletproof-it.com/bpi-...edium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=Ach+Helmet

https://www.chasetactical.com/product-category/armor/armor-ballistic-helmets/

Ballistic helmets, such as the ones in the links, are advantageous for additional protection. Many do not have these due to their cost. They are not cheap. Personally, I have considered buying one on several occasions, but never pulled the trigger. The odds are more in favor of you being hit in the torso as it is the largest mass area. In a SHTF situation where you are having to move about and dealing with many people untrained with firearms and not being proficient in accuracy, they are likely to target your torso, not your head. Of course, a stray round can end up anywhere. When it comes to PBA, you cannot cover every area. The main areas to protect are the front and back as they are, as I said, the largest mass areas of the torso and that is where your vital organs reside. You have to prioritize your load-out and determine just how much weight you want/need to be carrying. Armor plates add up as does your ammo and magazines, not to mention other things like a IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) and a water/hydration supply.

Maybe, one day, I will add a ballistic helmet, but for now, I will have to do without.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Any thoughts on using a plate carrier with plates, keep it slick then use a molle tac vest over the carrier and have the ammo and gear on that? Kind of a layered approach. The actual tac vest itself weighs next to nothing compared to everything else. The ammo and gear would all weigh the same

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Any thoughts on using a plate carrier with plates, keep it slick then use a molle tac vest over the carrier and have the ammo and gear on that? Kind of a layered approach. The actual tac vest itself weighs next to nothing compared to everything else. The ammo and gear would all weigh the same

Seems sort of self-defeating. Why put on two pieces of gear when you can wear one piece with everything? If there are times you are not going to have the need to have armor plates, then you can either have a separate chest rig or remove the plates from your carrier. Personally, I would only have one rig and train with that as you would need to get accustomed to it as far as the weight, you load distribution, and how you are going to access everything in an expedient and efficient manner.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bump. I keep seeing "cheap" carriers on Slickguns. Anyone have experience with carriers in the $50 range? Of course that does not include plates.

With PCs, you get the comfort you pay for. You don’t necessarily have to get a thousand dollar rig, but don’t go “cheap”. Your back and shoulders will regret it.

Top Bottom