• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know their way around all the internet TV providers? I'd really like to say bye to cox but there are channels I really like.

Do any of the internet TVs have things like Fox News, Fox Business, Weather Channel, Discovery, History, ESPN channels, National Geo and Comet?

I heard Sling has a good collection of normal cable shows, anybody know?

Had Netflix for a while but after watching everything that interested me there wasn't a fast enough turnover for programs.

Other than cox what is everybody happy with?

Rick

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is always the android tv boxes kinda like the fire stick but the fire stick sucks because the processor is slow. The android based TV boxes can be had on ebay pretty cheap. I have some friends (retired) I worked at NADEP at with and I am always having to help them. They have tried it all and just bought the https://www.stoppayingfortv.com/ and I think that is a rip off. Kinda expensive and all it is an android box with Kodi loaded. I should have started that business. LOL

The free way to get everything is a tv box with https://kodi.tv/. I hacked a fire stick and side loaded kodi and then had to run some unix commands to prevent the firestick from updating and messing up all the work getting kodi setup. It worked but the fire stick is SLOOOOW piece of crap.

I know kodi is not for everyone. You will need to be pretty savy to get it going. I noticed that the stop paying for TV has kinda like this script to setup things for ya but still not seamless. Like I said I am over the friends house alot fixing software issues.

Also to make this work well you will need pretty fast internet. They have already figured out that this high dollar stop paying for tv thingy is bandwidth hungry and they are gonna pay more money for faster internet.

I live in Santa Rosa county and we have MediaCom yes they suck just like all of them but for the next two years the deal we have will be cheaper than the Dish Network and ATT DSL we had.

No way with me working offshore is my wife gonna deal with an android tv box and keeping it updated. Ha ha so mediacom it is for now.

I don't watch alot of TV and if I was not married probably would not own one. But gotta make the wife happy. :)

Good luck nothing is for free...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    we are moving and the new cox deal is $112 a month with their fast internet so we chose to go that way. we do have firestick w kodi I have no idea how to use and apple TV

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is always the android tv boxes kinda like the fire stick but the fire stick sucks because the processor is slow. The android based TV boxes can be had on ebay pretty cheap. I have some friends (retired) I worked at NADEP at with and I am always having to help them. They have tried it all and just bought the https://www.stoppayingfortv.com/ and I think that is a rip off. Kinda expensive and all it is an android box with Kodi loaded. I should have started that business. LOL

The free way to get everything is a tv box with https://kodi.tv/. I hacked a fire stick and side loaded kodi and then had to run some unix commands to prevent the firestick from updating and messing up all the work getting kodi setup. It worked but the fire stick is SLOOOOW piece of crap.

I know kodi is not for everyone. You will need to be pretty savy to get it going. I noticed that the stop paying for TV has kinda like this script to setup things for ya but still not seamless. Like I said I am over the friends house alot fixing software issues.

Also to make this work well you will need pretty fast internet. They have already figured out that this high dollar stop paying for tv thingy is bandwidth hungry and they are gonna pay more money for faster internet.

I live in Santa Rosa county and we have MediaCom yes they suck just like all of them but for the next two years the deal we have will be cheaper than the Dish Network and ATT DSL we had.

No way with me working offshore is my wife gonna deal with an android tv box and keeping it updated. Ha ha so mediacom it is for now.

I don't watch alot of TV and if I was not married probably would not own one. But gotta make the wife happy. :)

Good luck nothing is for free...

Thanks Ken, whatever language that was in. I'm not necessarily looking for free but with my basic cable TV, internet and land line bill being $225 a month something needs to change.

RH

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow 225 yea that's a little excessive.

We are paying mediacom 99 total with taxes a month for tv and internet.

Have you called and threat to switch to something else and get them to drop price? I use to play that game with ATT DSL all the time.

Maybe go with Dish Network and just internet for a year.

I'm gonna start playing the new customer game. Switch to something else every year or two. They always seem to give the new customers the deals and screw the ones that stay for a long time.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use Sling and it's a good deal, I pay 19.99 per month. I don't get Fox News but I know their adding channels all the time. For less than $20 per month I can't complain. Sling is basically cable/satellite just over the internet, some channels even offer previously aired content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use Sling and it's a good deal, I pay 19.99 per month. I don't get Fox News but I know their adding channels all the time. For less than $20 per month I can't complain. Sling is basically cable/satellite just over the internet, some channels even offer previously aired content.

Who is your Internet Provider and what speeds do you have and monthly cost?

we are moving and the new cox deal is $112 a month with their fast internet so we chose to go that way. we do have firestick w kodi I have no idea how to use and apple TV

Not a bad deal Frank... That's why we changed to mediacom. New customers and get a good rate for a few years. LOL

It's a game that has to played in our favor!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Who is your Internet Provider and what speeds do you have and monthly cost?

Not a bad deal Frank... That's why we changed to mediacom. New customers and get a good rate for a few years. LOL

It's a game that has to played in our favor!

I use Centurylink, which is the only internet provider in coden. It started out at $40 per month for stand alone internet but has quickly risen to $74. I need to call and play hardball with them again to get it back down. Not sure my speed off the top of my head. But I stream a lot; sling, Netflix, Hulu, amazon, and it all works fine. My parents even piggy back off my Netflix account.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We change providers every time they try to raise their bill. Our internet is with Century Link, 4 tv’s with Direct satellite and paying $155 for both. The wife and grandsons are the only reason we have satellite tv if it was up to me I would put up an antenna and go with internet tv service of some kind

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    related topic, I have Uverse from ATT for phone and internet. Is there a cheaper internet service around. An antennae is fine for TV and watching more channels means wasting more time.

moonpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with Cricket Wireless as my cell phone provider and one of the perks was that I qualified to get DirectTv Now online , about eighty channels, for about $48.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got Direct Tv to drop my bill in half when I threatened to drop them. I can live with $74 a month and a hacked firestick. Kind of a pain in the ass but I'm sure it will get better.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can get Youtube on your TV, this is a GREAT movie if you don't mind closed caption.
    Burmese Harp

https://youtu.be/bbejd7WA5kA

Not to spoil it but a Japanese film from 1956 about the close of WW2 of surrender of a company of Japanese soldiers to superior force of British soldiers when its learned that the Empire of Japan has surrendered. One soldier is a much beloved harp player that volunteers to relay the news to a holdout company of Japanese on a mountain but fails to convince them to surrender.
    This is the beginning.
    A Very good story that's well done.:rockon:

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We're Cox victims as well. I miss living in Las Vegas or Nashville- metropolitan cities where the yellow pages list 4, 6, or even 8 competing cable providers. We're internet only and happy that way. We don't miss broadcast news not available online. There is plenty of live news on Youtube; just not local. We DO NOT miss the overwhelming number of commercials on tv anyway. Netflix & Youtube are just low-tech enough for us to figure out. Hell, my 8 Track Player still flashes '12:00' o'clock....

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $50 antenna in the attic and Cox for Internet only over here ($50-ish for the Internet connection). I went from a few hundred channels with nothing good on to about 20 with nothing good on.
    The real benefit is that it now takes far less time to flip through all the channels, realize there's nothing on that I want to watch, turn the TV off and go do something else.

But I also installed a Dell micro form factor PC in the entertainment center and I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad and have all the Internet has to offer right there in the living room.
    That's worked out really nicely.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $50 antenna in the attic and Cox for Internet only over here ($50-ish for the Internet connection). I went from a few hundred channels with nothing good on to about 20 with nothing good on.
    The real benefit is that it now takes far less time to flip through all the channels, realize there's nothing on that I want to watch, turn the TV off and go do something else.

But I also installed a Dell micro form factor PC in the entertainment center and I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad and have all the Internet has to offer right there in the living room.
    That's worked out really nicely.
    I use an antenna also. I use AT&T for my phone and internet and think I am paying too much. Eventually I need to get something better.
    TV is a time waster for me, but I do watch a lot of the scientific, historical, and weapons relate things on youtube and now vimeo.

Top Bottom