• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like a prom night love child between several guns running a train on an AK and this was the result after 9 months...

With the current state of imports, I wouldn't plan on seeing it any time soon. Century is the sole importer for them and they're pushing the hell out of their RAS47 and C39V2 junk. Importing doesn't appear to be as much as a priority for them as it has been in the past.

It's interesting to see some development on a new round for a military. Personally, I won't go to any of these boutique type calibers such as the Grendel, Creedmoor or Blackout just because of the price per round. I don't have the time, space or shoot enough to get into reloading at this point. Maybe in the future I'll take the plunge. For now, I really enjoy the collecting aspect of guns with the occasional range day.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed I would not buy one of those supposed better calibers cause it’s costs way to much. Unless I was a serious hunter or reloader then maybe. Those exotic calibers can be easily handled by their militaries though I guess.

Interesting take on the platform. Kinda like M&Ms though I saw a vid of that attempt failing a relatively easy torture test.

I had read somewhere that American manufacturers are trying to stump imports in a round about way to eliminate competition and we are forced to buy their inferior offerings. Don’t know how true that is. I would love it if the U.S. could make an AK as good as the Russians or Bulgarians, even the Serbians or Romanians. Unfortunately there is something keeping us from achieving that. Whether it’s loss in the pride of American mfg and product quality or the folks with the right skill set are not in the business yet. Seems everyone just wants a quick buck these days which is a shame. If workers in combloc factories churned out some of the stuff America is turning out and dared call it an AK, I imagine a few folks would be churning other stuff in a gulag

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a James River Armory built variant as well as a milled Century build. Both rifles I had to work on both quite a bit on final fitment to get them to where I feel they should have left the factory.

I have never had to do anything on any AK built on a foreign wartime factory floor. No filing, bending, dremellimg, nothing.

My JRA and Century examples are now great but that is after quite a few man hours of work. I can see how curious potential AK guys are turned away from the platform with some of the junk being peddled at lgs. $700 for an IO? I am no Rob Ski but I know the platform enough to recognize garbage

Maybe why that’s why guys are heavy into the AR world. You can put em together on your kitchen table while watching your fav shows and so long as you are using decent parts you know that AR will run great right off the batt

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Red, I agree. I'm sure that U.S. Manufacturers can made a good AK, I just don't think they are willing to do it at the price point of the rebuilt Eastern European AK's that we have flooding the market. I'll bet if Norinco could still bring in their MAK-90 variant, it would sell w/o changes until the cows come home daily, and twice on Sunday. You don't hear of smashed rivets, dented receivers, or canted sights on any of the old chi-com AK's...just sayin'.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I've read about chi-coms from an AKfiles member in Europe is that they're considered the RAS and C39 of the AK world. Quality really went down after they were banned here. I don't have first hand experience but I thought it noteworthy to pass that info along. Interesting to say the least.

We could produce a good AK here in the US, but I don't think it would be able to compete at the price point that say a WASR 10 sells for or even Arsenal's SLR series. Call it greed or whatever but they won't get the return on investment like they would want. That's why the RAS and C39 are using inferior parts to cut corners and maximize profits. Plus, we're definitely a niche market. Many American's don't like them and they have a negative stigma to them. They've been our enemies weapon of choice since Vietnam. Take me for instance, after multiple deployments with the Army, I swore I would never own one. I've now owned over 10 different variants and have found myself kind of addicted to them. Contrast that with only 2 AR's in my collection.

I have no doubts that Century is trying to push their AK's over imports. They control the flow and what variants they want and at the price they want. I don't see them cutting off Romania or Serbia anytime soon but they control the numbers and can do as they wish. I doubt either of those countries will be banned from import so it would have to be Century's decision.

With the Russian ban in place now all the Saiga's and VEPR rifles will rise in price. Especially FM VEPR's and Arsenal converted Saiga's. I don't see that ban being lifted any sooner than the Norinco ban.

Top Bottom