• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are everyone's thoughts / experiences with the Ruger American?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's fine if you keep in mind how cheap it is. My tikka runs circles around it as far as fit/finish/accuracy, but it is also close to 2x the price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Several deer and hogs have been taken with my Ruger Americans. All have proved accurate (I reload). When the trigger weight adjustment screw was moved on every one to lighten the trigger pull, nothing happened. Sawman took the trigger groups out of each, shortened the trigger pull spring about 1 1/2 coils, put grease on the moving parts, and properly torqued the action to the stock. All were now in the 3.x pound range with no creep. I've owned 5.56, 300 Blackout, and .308.

I've seen some in which the stock pressed against the side of the bbl near the front end (mine haven't)...just use sand paper and remove a touch of the stock to make it free floating. I've never had any magazine problems.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah . . . my Ruger American shoots ok I guess. With the trigger set at 2lbs 13.5ozs and absolutely no creep at all I shot these two groups with my 300BLK at 50yds. I have shot probably 10groups that are <1/2" at this distance. One group was <.300". (All groups were 5 shots)
    BUT . . . . . Tika does make a fine gun for the money. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20160111_125146.jpg
      20160111_125146.jpg
      384.4 KB · Views: 317
    • 20160512_103251.jpg
      20160512_103251.jpg
      690.6 KB · Views: 265

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It is nice to get a compact threaded rifle for around $375 though... it's half the price of the model 7, or 700... I enjoy shooting mine.
    67fa9c46c6a7b2c5afbb971f52d57e51.jpg

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own the Ruger American in a .308 and Ranch .300 Blk and have no complaints, sure the finish has tool marks but I don't want a fancy hunting tool, just one that shoots accurately.

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for the wrong section.

Thanks for all the comments I have been looking for a cheap 7mm-08 now for awhile that is compact. Thinking as far as bang for my buck this my be the route to go. Let my GF & nephews use it when they hunt so the lack of finish I am okay with. Seemed like the bolt is pretty sweet on them as well

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ruger American Compact (12.5" LOP) . . love 'em. Remember,these guns have a $150. - $200 trigger in them. You just gotta make it happen. Of course . . . if this will be a "loaner gun" you might want to give careful consideration to any trigger mods.
    I firmly believe that most of the bad talk about the mags is operator error. You have to make sure to load it properly. Do not try to overload it. And insert it square and hard until it clicks in place.
    For the money . . . I reccomend them. Especially in 7mm-08. And especially if you handload for it. --- SAWMAN

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger American Compact (12.5" LOP) . . love 'em. Remember,these guns have a $150. - $200 trigger in them. You just gotta make it happen. Of course . . . if this will be a "loaner gun" you might want to give careful consideration to any trigger mods.
    I firmly believe that most of the bad talk about the mags is operator error. You have to make sure to load it properly. Do not try to overload it. And insert it square and hard until it clicks in place.
    For the money . . . I reccomend them. Especially in 7mm-08. And especially if you handload for it. --- SAWMAN

I don't hand load. Maybe one day in the future. Will have to do some research into the trigger mods. I imagine I will probably use this gun myself quite a bit. I shoot a browning a-bolt 300 win mag almost exclusively but would not mind shooting something a little easier on the shoulder.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My only complaint about the American is the bolt does not lock on safe so it can open when walking around... now, this is also a problem with many rifles, but keep it in mind... not a huge issue, but an issue none the less.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That is absolutely a valid complaint. I missed killing a hog when my gun went click instead of boom.
    He stepped out of the cotton at about 10yds. My bolt handle was turned slightly upwards and no firing pin strike.
    After that I did some expieraments with primed only cases. The handle does not have to be turned upwards more than about 1 -1.5 inches for the striker not to make contact.
    This is why I did not choose to put an aftermarket bolt lift and knob on my gun. ---- SAWMAN

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first .308 was a Ruger American when they first came out, Great reviews, since then I have moved on to more expensive .308's and sold my RA to one of my hunting buddies and to this day he is still killing deer and hogs with it. Great starter gun until you know what you want, gotta like the adjustable trigger, big plus in my book. From there I went to a Savage 10 , and up and up and up, you know the story.

Just-a-man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Picked it up today for $299.99 before tax. Plan to try and have a scope on it before next weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bought an American Predator .308 because it was the only threaded .308 with a 18" barrel I could find. Have been working a few different factory ammos through it. Hornady ELD 178gr have worked the best so far. My last 2 shots at 200yds yesterday and a 300yd shot just to measure drop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom