• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Agree that it is really good looking. Seems like a pretty good price for this rifle given where AK prices seem to be today.

But, as an AK newbie I'm interested in that quality of American vrs combloc. As I understand it, the heavier stamped receiver is a definite plus, (also it's combloc) however, I'm curious about the American made barrel vrs the combloc. Also, I don't see anything about the American barrel as being chrome bore. Not that chrome bore is that important if not using corrosive ammo.

Also, what about James River Armory? Any comments on their products?

They must have been pretty popular. I checked Classic's site this AM and they are "sold out".

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    It's a kit build, keep that in mind from the start. That said, these are built from Yugo / Serbian M72 parts and JRA does good work on their AK builds, so this would probably be a safe bet if you like the Serb style guns. Keep in mind these don't use standard AKM furniture.

As far as the barrel - depending on who you ask, some people will take nothing but combloc cold hammer forged / chrome lined. Admittedly, the CHF barrels will probably outlast your great great grandchildren unless you shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds a year. That being said, a decent quality (Green Mountain, for instance) American AK barrel will do just fine. From what I've seen, American barrels tend to be more accurate than combloc barrels but they are less durable, relatively speaking. The average shooter will never know the difference. I gotta admit though - I'm in the CHF or bust crowd. Can't help it. :)

Top Bottom