• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi AK folks!
    Just figured I would post a few thoughts on my recent purchase of a NIB Npap M70 Zastava AK rifle. Most of you guys know the differences and nuances that come with the Yugo as opposed to your standard AKM offering.

The little button in the back for disassembly is kinda cool in my opinion, and should it fail will not hamper the function of the rifle at all.

Fit and finish are decent. Fit on my example is excellent as it seems straight to the naked eye anyway. Still have to zero it to myself. Finish is ok. The park finish is ok but seems like it may wear out sooner than later. I have touched up a small scratch with Birchwood flat black and it blends perfectly. Whoever dremmeled out the magwell at Century must have had a good day or they invested in a good jig that gets it right. Mag wobble is none existent with magpull, surplus and drums I have tried.

Century must have send some of their builders to some classes cause in my opinion this rifle is built just as good as offerings costing a lot more. Rivets all look good, nice and domed and none that caved the receiver.

I replaced the paper clip with a FCG retainer plate and I actually have more wiggle in the FCG pins than with the pin. Not enough to where they will walk out and not a big deal since the paper clip tends to fail sooner or later anyway.

Only other imperfection I noticed, was when the front sight post was pressed on, a little metal pushed out of one of the sides. nothing that impacted the rifles function whatsoever but for my ocd I went ahead and filed it flush to the rest and touched up with flat black finish which blended perfectly. Like it was never there.

Accuracy, I cant say much as I have not taken it as far as I have wanted to but she seems to shoot where I point her. Interwebs consistantly say that this is a 3-4 MOA rifle so not too worried bout it.

Barrel is not chrome lined but unless you are rocking corrosive or really dumping rounds thru it, it should not be an issue. To the naked eye it seems to have a larger outer diameter than euro versions. I may be incorrect.

This thing is over built to say the least. The gas block, front sight post, rear leaf, top cover, receiver, everything screams overbuild. Also translates to heavy but I got the wood stock version so thats to be expected. The underfolder is probably lighter.

Speaking of wood stock, so if you look at the reviews on AKOU or Hickcock45 you will see that there were issues with cheek slap due to the high comb of the rifle. I went in knowing that but I bury my face as far forward and rest my nose on the side of the top cover to achieve the same sight picture each time, so when I am zeroed, it will hit whatever I am shooting at. But anyway to my surprise my example came with a more traditional sized and shaped warsaw pact style buttstock. So cheek slap should be eliminated to those that like to have a cheek weld further back. It does not however have a rubber pad or a provision for a cleaning kit. Oh and it is still mounted in the Yugo fashion.

Mine does have a rail that fits not only yugo designed mounts but regular euro mounts as well. So no more hunting for yugo specific optics mounts. At least in my example.

Maybe I got lucky or maybe Century got their stuff together, time will tell. But I am more than pleased with the quality thus far of this tank like Yugo rifle. All markings are nice, deep, uniform, and relevant except for the "please read owners manual before use" marking. Besides that the Zastava, Serbia, etc are all nice and clear. Gone are the days of Centuries electro pencil I guess.

I like traditional wood on my rifles and the Yugo has nice Teak? I am not sure, seems to be a hardwood. Handguard and buttstock match nicely. I am toying around with the idea of stripping and making it a bit darker. It is a dark blonde right now finished with some sort of clear coat

On the topic of wood. I had an extra upper handguard gastube retainer that i needed to install in it. The wood was cut for it but the piece was not installed and the upper handguard portion was a bit loose for my liking. After a quick 2 minute installation of the retainer, that sucker is nice and tight in there with no wiggle anywhere.

I burned thru 90 rounds as quick as I could just to check function and no issues at all. With the slant break, shoots like any other slant break equipped AK. Again no cheek slap and the slant comp did what a slant comp does.

Seeing as there is not much collectors value in Yugos at the moment, this may be the first AK I trick out a bit with not permanent modifications. Simple magpul stuff mostly. Zhukov folding stock being the biggest. A buddy recently got one and said it is totally worth it.

Thats pretty much it folks. For $550 BNIB from Classic Firearms, it is a very good price, considering Armslist and locally folks try to sell them above new prices for a used gun. It is a bargain in my book and if they were going for 7-8 hundred I think the Zastava Npap is worth it in my opinion. No its no Arsenal, but a mighty fine Kalash.

Merry Christmas ladies and gents.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On sale for $529 at Atlantic Firearms. Treat yourself to a great Christmas present.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is some of mine. You can really tell the difference in the buttstock.

Attachments

• 76D5E1BF-EA1B-426C-86BC-F4F34E623F5E.jpg
      76D5E1BF-EA1B-426C-86BC-F4F34E623F5E.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 405
    • 17419211-ACA1-4ADA-A0EA-D8E02EE00D4B.jpg
      17419211-ACA1-4ADA-A0EA-D8E02EE00D4B.jpg
      158.9 KB · Views: 442
    • B6D1035C-ECB8-4E22-8EB1-87594C0B86FC.jpg
      B6D1035C-ECB8-4E22-8EB1-87594C0B86FC.jpg
      197.6 KB · Views: 442
    • 44A9C581-110A-417D-ACDC-7A8E6C665BCD.jpg
      44A9C581-110A-417D-ACDC-7A8E6C665BCD.jpg
      192 KB · Views: 410
    • C0307434-AEBA-495D-BBCD-C1DFD9035130.jpg
      C0307434-AEBA-495D-BBCD-C1DFD9035130.jpg
      268.4 KB · Views: 447
    • 74252009-008F-4763-B01D-D5515A0E2757.jpg
      74252009-008F-4763-B01D-D5515A0E2757.jpg
      158.9 KB · Views: 388
    • 73A818C5-E231-4B97-B2DE-948E0A0BA552.jpg
      73A818C5-E231-4B97-B2DE-948E0A0BA552.jpg
      219.1 KB · Views: 393
    • 558C2400-A433-47AA-BF7C-370A746DA523.jpg
      558C2400-A433-47AA-BF7C-370A746DA523.jpg
      144.5 KB · Views: 393
    • F2EB41B6-D6F6-4EAB-AA58-A24C36652732.jpg
      F2EB41B6-D6F6-4EAB-AA58-A24C36652732.jpg
      158.7 KB · Views: 411
    • D58C2897-CD78-4C95-9033-7D09974B3808.jpg
      D58C2897-CD78-4C95-9033-7D09974B3808.jpg
      125 KB · Views: 410

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The one bummer is that they must have changed out the design of the front sight post. Although it is hallowed out it is not form cut or drilled for the flip up night sights. I really wanted to get a set and mount them on this rifle.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last pic. So after looking at it and thinking about going full bore with it. I like the steel and wood look on an AK even if incorrect, just like that classic look to em. Considering none of the mods I made to this Yugo are permanent I think I am done messing with it for now.
    Whats done
    Upper handguard retainer spring installed to eliminate movement when firing or when practicing

Trigger job done to smooth out the trigger and slick up the action.

Hungarian style muzzle device which is very effective

Hungarian style wood pistol grip which mostly matches the wood already on there and gives a nice solid grasp. Still need to darken it up some how if anyone has any tips. I got one coat of BLO drying on it now.

Filed and refinished the excess metal that was squeezed out when the FSB was pressed on.

Installed a FCG pin retainer bracket instead of leaving the stock paperclip. That and the trigger job were the only internal changes.

Thru a Russian AK sling on it.

That't about it for this project. For 550, it has non permanent mods in case someday we decide to sanction Serbia. It can be thrown all back in original trim. Overall for the price point I am very impressed with this rifle. It is over built. And though anything man made and mechanical can fail, this puppy was designed and built for the long haul it seems. I'd highly recommend this rifle to anyone thinking of getting into the AK world. Just read a bit before you buy because there are some Yugo'isms and this is not your standard AKM. Better in some regards, worse in others. Again for the price, you can't beat it.

Attachments

• yugo.jpg
      yugo.jpg
      262.5 KB · Views: 389
    Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Very nice! I love my M85, built like a tank, chrome lined, takes any type mag, surprisingly accurate (only shot it out to 150) and turned out to be a great investment as I got a deal from Buds for under 500. Only mods I made were a Tapco G2 trigger, rail with red dot, and the SB-47 brace.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats a deal right there. The m85 is the 556 right? Wish they made a 545 version I would sbr and krink clone it. Yugos are awesome cause even though there are many variations they are easy to sbr and convert to krink style carbines if so inclined. I should have picked one up a while back when they had basically a ready made krinkov without a stock. Simple SBR and side folder triangle and bam, bin ladens gun.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys the more I have messed with this rifle, the more and more I am falling in love with it. I had always dismissed the Yugo rifles cause of their incompatibility with common AKM parts. But I tell ya, this thing is built like an Abrams. Round count will tell whether this rifle holds up or not. I still have not even hit the 200 mark with her yet.

Only minor things needed to be done to the rifle, NOTHING that impeded function, just knit picky stuff that I wanted to remedy.

Weak point like most lower end AKs is the non chromed barrel. I know a lot of people do not care about that and it is supposed to actually make the rifle more accurate. Come to find out in my research that Serbian issued rifled do not have a chromed lined barrel either. Whether to cut costs or because no one uses corrosive ammo anymore is anyones guess. I do wish they gave us more info on the barrel. I hear it is Green Mountain, but is it 4140 or 4150, Fenocite treated? That would make a difference to me.

For around 5-550 these can currently be had new. Jump all over it if you can, you wont be disappointed.

Merry Christmas

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Round count update. Sitting right around 500+ rounds now. No weird wear marks, no wear marks at all actually. Flawless function, consistent strong ejection. Minute of man accurate with a 6 o’clock hold.

I don’t know much on the mystery barrel but even with a few back to back mag dumps, I did not need a glove and it wasn’t overheating. No handguard heat transfer but did seep some oil or varnish or blo a little. Barrel was hot for sure.

Runs clean like most AK rifles, no issues at all. Boring reliable so far. Quickly becoming a favorite rifle. Heavier built than an AKM, but not overbuilt like the VEPR. A rifle cheap enough and accurate enough to beat bush with and not leave you exhausted or worried about scratching it up.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for the update. Glad it is running well! Yes mine is the 5.56 version so I can use my existing cache. Came with the krink on it. Only issue to me is the thing is very very VERY loud and I would be worried to shoot it without double hearing protection.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah this little M70 really surprised me for the price point. I am no expert but know a good thing when I see it and shoot it, and Zastava can sure make an AK. Time and round count will tell the full story but so far I am impressed. Would like to Krink one out one day, go full SBR mode with it, but that is a pipe dream for the future.

CaddyMan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've the got the underfolder version....or as they call it, the DF version. I've yet to fire it but it seems to be well built. I'd like to scoop the full stock version like you have- for the hell of it. Nice rifle. 29830848_10100286246652262_841564244_o.jpg

Attachments

• 29830848_10100286246652262_841564244_o.jpg
      29830848_10100286246652262_841564244_o.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 247

Latest posts

Top Bottom