Target Sports

Where plink or shoot recreationally in Okaloosa?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Eglin AFB base claims at least 80% of total land in Okaloosa, so usually I just head to Walton Co. I'ts a long drive. I'm not going to be apprehended & confiscated by sneaking on to Eglin with weapons. Who'd have figured it's a Federal felony?
    I've been to all the local ranges of course, but sometimes you just want to mess around (melons,cans,etc.) and plink. There's precious little private property where the owner casts his liability to the wind to allow a stranger to shoot. Anyone know of an "informal" sand pit or backwood where people have been shooting for years?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    There used to be all sorts of places that people used to shoot back in the 80s. I went about every weekend to a clay pit in the area.
    There was one next to Pine Forest High School, one on the road to the Crist Steam Plant, one off of Hwy 87. I used to even shoot on the transmission line off of Chicago Ave. (that one probably wasn't legal)
    Its a shame but I don't know of a one now.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They had to add the pipes after idiots were arching bullets way off the property into a residential area, at least that was the word on the street.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was all excited tillI read that on their site, I will not go there for rifle that is for sure, I think pipes are stupid and LOUD and it is only 100 yrds anyway?

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There used to be all sorts of places that people used to shoot back in the 80s. I went about every weekend to a clay pit in the area.
    There was one next to Pine Forest High School, one on the road to the Crist Steam Plant, one off of Hwy 87. I used to even shoot on the transmission line off of Chicago Ave. (that one probably wasn't legal)
    Its a shame but I don't know of a one now.

Yea when I was in the AF at Eglin. I remember shooting just north of I-10 on 85 where Lowes is now. Those were the days!!!

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's why I started the thread. In the day, just anywhere kinda remote would do. Sometimes the cops would even show up & watch or even asked to shoot something that amused them.. Unless there was a problem, there were no problems. Sigh.....

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Growing up here in the late 60's and 70's you could shoot almost anywhere. You didn't have to be way out in the woods, but back then we didn't have near the population we have now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pawpaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Baker?! I figured that there would surely be a corner by the woodline somewhere up there to shoot. Even now, the only real metropolitan aspect of this county is the traffic, lol. If you can't even shoot in Baker, I know that this truly is the end of 'back in the day'...

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No more “back in the day” I had a couple of deputies come check me out when I let my brother-n-law and nephew shoot my AR15 on my property and range. They were checking out a report of shots fired. They were polite and were quick to tell me I hadn’t broken any laws but I already knew that even though my in-laws didn’t.
    You run the chance of a ticket or worse if you pull up at a clay pit and shoot as they are private property and you can be charged with criminal trespass with a fire arm. It all depends if you get caught and who catches you.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No more “back in the day” I had a couple of deputies come check me out when I let my brother-n-law and nephew shoot my AR15 on my property and range. They were checking out a report of shots fired. They were polite and were quick to tell me I hadn’t broken any laws but I already knew that even though my in-laws didn’t.
    You run the chance of a ticket or worse if you pull up at a clay pit and shoot as they are private property and you can be charged with criminal trespass with a fire arm. It all depends if you get caught and who catches you.

Two main reasons I bought my own property. Iinvestment and a place to shoot.

diesel2256

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Used to be in the same boat until I got some land in Defuniak. On holidays, you can hear gunfire in every direction. One of my neighbors thought I was shooting full autos -- nah, just a quick finger and a sweet trigger on the AK.

Top Bottom