• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I need opinions and personal experience.

What is the best IWB holster brand and style? At present I have a Comp-Tac MTAC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also have an MTAC. But once I went to Kydex, I never used the MTAC again. The best IWB holster is the one that's comfortable and safe. If it's not comfortable, you won't carry your gun. If it's not safe, you'll shoot your ass cheek. There's also a trade-off between comfort and ability to get to your gun. If the gun "disappears" on you and it's super comfortable, but when you need to draw it, you can't get to it...kinda defeats the purpose. I wear a custom Kydex IWB just in front of my hip around the 3 o'clock position. I know I can get to my gun because I've shot dozens of IDPA matches from this very holster. Probably has about 200 draws out of it between matches and practice. Depending on your gun, you may want something different. Some guys like a Glock 19 in the appendix position. Some guys like a LCP on the small of their back. All comes down to individual preference. Let me know what gun you have and I'll see If I have an IWB you can demo for a few weeks to see if you like it.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I also have an MTAC. But once I went to Kydex, I never used the MTAC again. The best IWB holster is the one that's comfortable and safe. If it's not comfortable, you won't carry your gun. If it's not safe, you'll shoot your ass cheek. There's also a trade-off between comfort and ability to get to your gun. If the gun "disappears" on you and it's super comfortable, but when you need to draw it, you can't get to it...kinda defeats the purpose. I wear a custom Kydex IWB just in front of my hip around the 3 o'clock position. I know I can get to my gun because I've shot dozens of IDPA matches from this very holster. Probably has about 200 draws out of it between matches and practice. Depending on your gun, you may want something different. Some guys like a Glock 19 in the appendix position. Some guys like a LCP on the small of their back. All comes down to individual preference. Let me know what gun you have and I'll see If I have an IWB you can demo for a few weeks to see if you like it.
    I have been carrying a Shield 40sw, but I just got a Shield 45acp. Looking for something for the new 45acp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to look to see if I have any of the .45 shield demos laying around.

Luv2Hunt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry a glock 43 in an Alien Gear at the 5 o'clock. When it is adjusted right it is a dream to carry, all day long, even in the car on a long drive with the seatbelt on.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Alien gear 100%. 1911 iwb at 3:00 all day working construction and wouldn't change a thing. Best customer service. Completely adjustable and they stand behind their product 100%. 3 alien gears cost what 1 crossbreed cost. I gave my crossbreed away. Been wearing this one for 6 years now.

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    User preference.

I've been through several suggested manufacturers and always end up buying CrossBreeds. I will never buy another IWB that is not a CrossBreed.

I find that they use a thinner kydex and less of it. This means they are not as bulky as some holsters and will conform to your body easier.

I drive to Iowa and/or Michigan, 1-2 times a year and I will wear my holster at 3 o'clock without removing it the entire trip. No other holster has been that comfortable for me.

305RSlc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another one for user preference. I tend to lean towards accessibility over comfort. After trying a few, I settled on Alien Gear over crossbreed due to price as mentioned above. After being broken in, it's a dream to carry a g19 all day. The biggest item I'd change on it is to get the belt buckle straps as opposed to the plastic clips it comes with as they stretch and distort over time.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I haven't tried plastic clips with alien gear but have metal clips on all 3. Now have 4 since Christmas. The metal clips still hold as tightly as they did when new and no advertising on the clips like crossbreed. Alien gear 100%.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I use a T.Rex Arms IWB holster for everyday carry and I love it. Iv got a shoe box with a half dozen different holsters that I didn't like for whatever reason. I haven't tried the new Alien Gear one, but I have some friends who love it.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I can't speak for aliengear but I've owned multiple crossbreed holsters for full size and for shield..

For my shield I forget it is there. Extremely comfy and they back their product. I once bent the kydex pretty bad from something no fault of their own and I called them up to ask if they could fix it. Shipped it to them and it was as good as new when I got it back with no charge. Great company.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Those clinger holsters look good and have a descent price. But they dont offer a left handed model

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Zombie thread but whatever.
    I’ve had MANY holsters with MANY MANY carry guns.
    Currently loving G-CODE Haley Eclipse Super Mojo or something like that. It’s awesome either at either 4 or 1230. It’s the first holster that has made AIWB even a possibility, I think that speaks to its conform and convenience. From gym clothes to dress shirts, day at the office, day on the road, or a quick trip to the stop-n-rob, it allows me to carry my super special shield build anywhere, anytime.

Last edited:

averagejoe

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of IWB. That being said, I do own 2 and at various times use them both.

I am a huge fan of Tucker Gun Leather. I have a number of their holsters and use their "answer" holster as one of my IWB's. Pay extra and get the leather lining, it is well worth it. I went with their kydex style clips and have been very pleased with it. The leather they use is outstanding and it is quite comfortable.

My second rig is an appendix carry G-Code holster with a Mag Caddy. This is taking some getting used to. One suggestion I would make is that if you are going to use kydex, go get a can of silicon spray lubricant and coat the inside. I have found that doing this saves the finish on the weapon and limits the wear on the holster.

Top Bottom