Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    45 ACP
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, live in Crestivew
    Awful tough to beat the Dillon 550.

2. Likes Az-Vic's Post:

22LR
    I'll second the Lee Turret press suggestion. I usually shoot a couple hundred rounds per week, but only reload every few weeks, usually about 500 to 1000 rounds at a go, mostly .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Definitely beats using a single stage press for that quantity, but not as expensive in both money and shop space as the progressive presses.

4. Likes Patrick's Post:

22LR
    I'll through another two cents at it. I got into hand loading a few years ago with the sole purpose of saving a little bit of money, and to put together some hot round combinations. I bought a RCBS partner press kit that came with everything you need to start, except obviously dies/components. I don't load large quantities, and I dont get out to the range very often. Im loading 40, and 357 sig. My little single stage and plastic beam scale work just fine for my application. Yes it's slow and tedious, but im okay with that because I enjoy the process. For example I made up some 135gr Nosler JHP in .40 that are moving at 1401fps avg and 589ft/lbs out of a 6in barrel Glock24c, and .357sig(same gun KKM barrel) 124gr GDHPs at 1555fps avg w/667ft/lbs for half the price of factory stuff that doesn't perform as well! If you are looking a bulk operation this probably isn't for you. When I do get behind the bench I might crank out a 100-150rds over a couple of hours, but then again, I enjoy the process!

I started out with a Lee Classic Cast single stage, moved up to a Classic Turret (4-hole) and finally graduated to a pair of Hornady LNL progressives. I started out loading and shooting about 100/week, but since retiring, I am loading and shooting 1000+ rounds of 9mm per week along with a 200-300 45 ACP and 40 S&W. When loading for my rifles, I still use the single stage as these are more precision loads. I am glad I started with the single stage as it taught me a lot of the details and gotchas of reloading early on and has made me a much better loader in the process.
    Protecting this country and it's communities isn't just the job of soldiers and police, but of every patriot who is capable.

7. 2 Like bohica793's Post:

22LR
    I'm fairly new to reloading and use a Redding T7 turret press. I load for 9mm and 45 ACP. It may change, but I'm not interested in loading a large volume of rounds quickly. I am really enjoying the T7.

9MM
    I have a Lee Turret Press and it works fine for me. I shoot mainly bolt actions so it's not like I need any higher capacity.

I am grateful for the experiences that a single stage gave me before moving to a turret or progressive

11. 2 Like Jester896's Post:

12 GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    I am grateful for the experiences that a single stage gave me before moving to a turret or progressive
    I was about to say this same thing. Also, one of the tools I can't do without is my digital caliper.

22LR
    I would say you want at least a auto indexing turret press like the Lee turret press. Or the Lee Pro 1000. You could easily crank out 300 rounds in a session. If you need more than that a month then get the XL650.

Remember Dillon 650's are an investment. Most of the lee products work well, but you will loose a lot if you sell.

Like with all tools, decide what the job is (how many rounds per month) then pick a quality tool that will last a lifetime. If you get tired of it, you can get most of your money back.

22LR
    I started on my Lee Turret press, I just bought the RCBS kit this weekend, Next wil be a Dillon 550. then I will have a machine for everything I reload for. A good sinle stage is great to learn on. Look for a Lee kit it shouldn't be more than 150ish and it has a lot of good stuff. I have a Lee scale I can give you if you just get a press. I just upgraded to a Hornaday powder dispenser and a M1 tumbler.