• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was looking around the net and came across a site selling scopes. I saw two for sale that were fixed 6 and 10 power. I am not in the market but was curious what the advantage of these are? Lighter? More durable since they have less moving parts? Like I said, just curious.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know that 30+ years ago the rap on some variable power scopes was the the point of impact could possibly shift across the magnification band. Advice was to always zero on power you expected to use most. And yes, keep it simple and lighter was and still is a good idea. I hunted this weekend with an old Leupold M8 fixed 6x that I've had for 25+ years. For me the field of view "memory" of always 6x helps, but if you buy quality I doubt the mechanical shift of zero is still an issue......but I would dang sure check it on the range!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In the last 10 years or so,I have heard about way more scope problems associated with tracking than POI shift due to power change. Personally,I have had none because nowadays I own exclusively Leupold and Zeiss. I am not saying that problems could not arise with these two brands,just alot less chance.
    Tracking is when you click your scope up/down or right/left and it does not "do what you told it to do". Lesser quality scopes are fairly prone to this problem. Some shooters do not even realize it. I have seen people at the range shooting and clicking,over and over until they are on zero. They are not even awhare that their scope has a tracking problem. Of course this is not a major problem if you are gonna leave your scope adjusted to that same POI.
    The real way to tell if your scope has a tracking problem is the way the factory does it. Mounted in a solid position,they click the scope the equal (usually 30+) clicks up,right,down,left and see if it returns to zero. Same with down,left,up,and right. This will quickly show if the scope or sight has any tracking problems whatsoever.
    Scope power settings - - -> If you purchase a quality scope with variable power settings why not have 3X-9X at your disposal verses simply just 4X or 6X. I own all variable power scopes,some are never zoomed all the way up except to scan or ID with,not to shoot. But at least I have those choices. ---- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a 8x56 Kahles on my 243. I bought it long ago because the cheap ass Simmons scope that was on it would not stay zeroed (POI) when going from 3.5x to 5, 6, 10x. That's when I started buying Quality scopes, and haven't looked back. But that is the reason I bought mine. Having enough magnification to see close and afar w/o worry it was going to screw-up.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO . . . a high fixed power scope is better for ranging with the proper retical. Also a zoomable scope that has a first focal plane retical is better for rangeing.
    Otherwise,your scope should be paired with how you use your weapon. --- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I rarely use more than 5x when deer hunting. Years ago a fixed 4x was the most common scope.
    All of the scopes I've bought in the last 30 years have been variables, mostly Leupolds.
    I would hate to have to hunt with a fixed high power scope.

Luv2Hunt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Murf, I have 2 Leupold that are 6x 42 and love them both. I traded into the first one that is an older M8 and I bought the second one a couple years ago, it is a FX3. The FX3 is just as bright as my VarXIII 3.5-10 X50 with a 30mm tube that I paid over twice as much for! I compared them side by side last hunting season at “last light” at my hunting lease! In the past I found that I was barely if ever moving my big scope off of 6x anyway and now I know that for half the price I can get a lighter scope with the same performance, I’m hooked! I use my binoculars for scanning, identification, and whatever I need higher amplification for (with much less mass moving around). I’ve been told that fixed power scopes have fewer lenses for the light to travel through so they are naturally brighter which also makes me believe they are lighter, cheaper to make and more dependable. I primarily hunt and like the thicker reticle so that is why I like fixed power scopes. I also have a smaller 4x32 Zeis on my AR that is pretty nice for the range, haven’t used it hunting....yet. If you want to test them or look through one let me know, and I’ll try to meet you so you can have a look at one.

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So for a variable power scope you have first focal plane and second focal plane.

With a first focal plane your point of aim and point of impact will be the same for all zoom variables.

With a second focal plane scope your point of aim and point of impact will be different, how much depends on distance.

You don't have to worry about first or second focal plane with a fixed power scope.

The other issue will be is parallax.

Some scopes are adjustable and some are set, which most are set between 50-100 yards. Parallax is where when you look through your scope and move your eye around a bit, the crosshair will move with your eye. Parallax is bad because if you don't take the same cheek weld everytime your point of aim and point of impact will be off also. Minimizing parallax is of utmost importance also.

Top Bottom