• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The U.S. Army is expected to transfer upward of 8,000 surplus M1911 pistols for civilian sale in fiscal 2018.

That’s based on this year’s National Defense Authorization Act, a massive defense policy bill recently approved by Congress and awaiting President Donald Trump’s signature.

The legislation includes an entire section — Sec. 1091, to be exact — detailing how the iconic firearms can be transferred to the entity that oversees the Civilian Marksmanship Program, a government program that allows eligible civilians to purchase surplus military weapons.

The section is from an amendment introduced by Rep. Mike Rogers, a Republican from Alabama, whose district includes the Anniston Army Depot and the Anniston regional office of the CMP.

Specifically, the bill would allow recently confirmed Army Secretary Mark Esper, previously the top lobbyist at defense contracting giant Raytheon Co., to transfer 8,000 or more .45-caliber M1911/M1911A1 pistols, spare parts and related accessories to the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety as part of a two-year pilot program.

The program would cap the number of transfers at 10,000 a year and also require the Army secretary to send an annual report to Congress on the number of pistols transferred, number of pistols sold and information on any crimes committed with the pistols.

For now, officials at CMP are sitting tight, according to a recent message on its website.

“We are waiting patiently and quietly to see how the NDAA 2018 turns out,” Mark Johnson, CMP’s chief operating officer, wrote in a note last month to customers. “All prescribed steps have been taken by CMP to fulfill the mandated requirements for receipt of the 1911s from the United States Army. CMP is in a constant state of readiness. The CMP has no further information at this time.”

The .45 entered service in 1911 and was replaced in 1985 with the Beretta M9, which is now being replaced by Sig Sauer’s P320 pistol as part of the Modular Handgun System, or MHS, program.

The Obama administration as part of the fiscal 2016 NDAA authorized transferring 10,000 .45s out of an estimated 100,000 remaining in the inventory, though the effort didn’t result in any actual sales, according to an article this week on Guns.com.

The CMP is popular, with more than 5,000 shooting clubs around the country affiliated with the program, which offers for sale a variety of historic rifles, including the M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield and M1 Carbine.

“Depending on type and model, manufacture dates range from the early 1900s for some M1903s to as late as 1990 for some .22 caliber rifles,” according to its online catalogue. “Just as they vary in age, they also vary in condition and amount of use. Some appear to be new or barely used, while others show plenty of battle scars and character (dings and dents).”

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The demand will be greater than the supply and that will keep the price very high on them, the going rate for them will be what you would pay for an high end pistol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At one point in my military career I had 140 1911 pistiols in "my" armory. We use about 30 for training young sailors in the basics of marksmanship. The rest were just there for storage.
    These were great pistols,easily capeable of COM shots at 15 yds. They were all extremely loose and rattled badly. But they never failed unless limp wristed.
    Before I left that assignment we got word from the Naval Wepons Depot in Crane,Ind. to send all back that we did not need for training.
    I would love to have a couple of these guns. They would be great as a truck,easy chair, or bedside weapon. --- SAWMAN

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At one point in my military career I had 140 1911 pistiols in "my" armory. We use about 30 for training young sailors in the basics of marksmanship. The rest were just there for storage.
    These were great pistols,easily capeable of COM shots at 15 yds. They were all extremely loose and rattled badly. But they never failed unless limp wristed.
    Before I left that assignment we got word from the Naval Wepons Depot in Crane,Ind. to send all back that we did not need for training.
    I would love to have a couple of these guns. They would be great as a truck,easy chair, or bedside weapon.

I would too and pay for them for what I paid for them back in the late late fiftys and very early sixties, which was around $20.00 mailed to me with no 4473's forms to fill out

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sounds like a cool opportunity to own a piece of American history. If we can ever get the Garands and M1 Carbines back from Korea, we would be swimming in surplus goodies.

I am no 1911 fan but I would try and scoop one up if possible just for the historical significance. They may be a bit costly but this aint the 50s anymore and neither are pay wages. Figure for these the cheapest you will find them will be the CMP cause afterwards guys are just going to jack up the price like they do on everything else.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My guess is most would sell via CMP web sales...hand picked/low serials/real old ones in great shape (if they still exist) will be auctioned through CMP for higher $$$. A certain amount will go on the shelf every week....something like that.

chibooey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Received an email today from CMP on the 1911 requirements. No dates yet but it shows progress.

CMP 1911 Information
    To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
    All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
    Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting:
    1) proof of U.S. Citizenship,
    2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club,
    3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity,
    4) a new form 2A with notary,
    5) successful completion of a NICS background check,
    6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.

The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
    Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
    No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
    CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
    Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
    Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
    Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
    The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
    Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
    When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
    As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got the same email. They'll have to be dirt cheap for me to go through that nonsense. Way more trouble than when I bought my Garand from them.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got to pay for all the "OVERHEAD" that's why the price when from the $20.00 they cost back in the late fifty's and early sixties to way more than there are worth from what they want to get out of them :noidea:

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Why the onerous process?

They are wanting to deter those that want to buy these pistols only to resale them for profit. Those that want one of these pistols, like myself, will jump through whatever hoops that are required. Personally, I am already a CMP customer and have maintain my approved club affiliation in order to keep in good standing. I will have to provide a few more documents for the pistol purchase other than what I have provided in the past. Not a big deal.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just so much more bullshit from a government already overflowing with bullshit.
    Somebody else can have mine. Somebody that will blindly jump through all the hoops . . . even if they are moved at a high rate of speed by the "CMP Board Of Directors".
    Just wait !!! ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The board is probably already salivating at getting a few mint Garands from the Phillipines and South Korea. Put them up for auction and profit,profit,profit! I did not think that the purpose of the CMP was to make gobs of money.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Just in.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    www.thecmp.org

chibooey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand that they are trying hard to prevent bad guys from getting their hands on one of these 1911's and they are afraid of bad publicity. They are setting up a separate system for pistols than they had for rifles because the laws are different, they are doing their own background checks which is overkill, but I get it.
    The part that really aggravated me is the requirement for "store front" FFL's" to do the second background check. So home based FFL's aren't trustworthy in CMP's opinion? Does CMP feel the ATF is untrustworthy also? I have found that home based FFL's are just as through, if not more so, than employees in a big box store. But all have followed the law completely.

The cost difference between home based and store front FFL's can be significant. I already expect these 1911's to be priced high and to intentionally add increased cost because of their paranoia in unacceptable.

Top Bottom