• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    60C938E1-5F8B-4521-B830-CF8D3021020D.jpg

Buck only until Saturday, then doe season starts. This would have been an 8 pt, but one brow tine was broke off. 70 yd, 300 Blackout to the shoulder, dead right there, Barnes 110 gr blacktip. Passed up spike, 4 pt, and 5 pt.

Been invited to a farm with a hog problem Friday night. Have to go over during the day so we can be shown where the horses are and see the property. Owner claims to see hogs “every evening” and wants hogs killed. He is a close friend of my brother.

Attachments

• 60C938E1-5F8B-4521-B830-CF8D3021020D.jpg
      60C938E1-5F8B-4521-B830-CF8D3021020D.jpg
      426.6 KB · Views: 396

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Really nice set of antlers Bruce. Have helped with several this year and they were nowhere near that big. (that much mass)
    What was the body weight of the deer ??
    Did that black tip exit ??
    How much bone did it hit ??
    Hope you can get on some hogs. If the guy has plenty that would make another trip back tp Ga. worthwhile.
    Good hunting. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    140 lb deer per processor. Was not there when it was processed, but could not find exit hole. Saw two hogs. One was rooting, but when we went around a group of trees to get closer, I did not see it. Did not stay long as we were deer hunting next morning. Hogs come in and push on horse feed buckets hung on fences to tip out food, Talked to owner’s wife...said she has seen hogs 3 nights this week. Some rooting but mainly can see where hogs get under fences to get in horse pens.

Long story short about the horse and cattle ranch, but owner trusts me around the livestock and said I am welcome to come back after deer season all I want as long as there are hogs. He owns the nursery where I have killed some armadillos for him in the past. Killed an armadillo last night for him. 220 acres. Owner drove me all around to show me where hogs have been seen. Last night we stayed in the yard scanning for hundreds of yards. An electric buggy would be very useful hog hunting...spot and then drive buggy closer. Hogs are used to vehicles I was told.

Second hog: owner said would you like to see a hog I caught? Sure, not knowing what to expect. Took us into a horse stable and inside a stall was a male hog. Still had some stripes on him. His name is Rocky. Caught about a bit over a week ago and is rapidly gaining weight as the owner’s wife bottle feeds him several times per day. Likes his side rubbed and falls against the owner’s leg in ecstasy. Is starting to nip at people’s legs, so he is gonna be neutered shortly.

Owner was bush hogging, saw something small running in the grass, jumped off tractor and caught him by hand. Piglet sqeeled and mother hog came charging. Pushed her away with booted foot long enough to get up on tractor. There were other piglets there running off.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Back from my Georgia hunt. Doe days started Saturday. Does seen until Saturday and then none seen Saturday and Sunday. I wanted a 2nd deer (2 deer is always my goal each season, but I typically take 3), so I took a 4 pt about an hour and a half before Sunset on Sunday. Overall, I saw more bucks than does. I feel I would have seen more does, but the guy planting food plots for my brother (brother normally does it himself, but was gone on a 2 1/2 month trip out west looking for rocks and minerals and gems) only planted one type, some type of winter rye or wheat. My brother plants a mix of 5 kinds so there's at least something to appeal to more deer. The deer would stop and take a bite or two or not even stop, but wouldn't hang around and eat for a long time like they normally do. Hanging around would sometimes attract more deer.

Fist deer 300 Blackout as mentioned above. 2nd deer .223 AR, 65gr Sierra Game King handload to the shoulder at 98 yd. Dropped right there, but was paralyzed and couldn't move body, only head and neck. Bullet exited. I hastily exited the stand and went over so I could end it.

A total of 3 different four point deer were seen over the 10 times I went out. One (not an old deer) had his 4 points way above his ears and an outside spread wider than his ears. I said I was not gonna shoot him and neither should anyone else (saw him 3 days). Maybe he'll have a nice rack later on. 3 different mature does (one of which was seen every day until doe season started), 2 yearlings, 1 spike (saw him every day) 1 5pt, 1 6 pt, my 7pt, and one monster buck (not seen long enough for me to get a shot or count points).

My brother only hunted one morning while I was there. At 0735 (legal shooting time, about 15 minutes before official sunrise that day) I watched a deer sneak by his stand; deer was about 20yd from the stand. Asked my brother what he saw...nothing he said...said he was awake :nod:.

To get to the deer hunting area takes a 20 minute walk from my brother's house. Inbetween is a steep valley. 1st and 2nd day I have to stop halfway up the valley to catch my breath. 3rd day I do it without stopping until I'm out of the valley. 4th and later days no stopping and the walk is easy. I'm 69 years old.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Rut in first week of November. Since I don't hunt after that first week or before, I've never paid any attention to what happens afterwords. Sorry.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <snip>
    To get to the deer hunting area takes a 20 minute walk from my brother's house. Inbetween is a steep valley. 1st and 2nd day I have to stop halfway up the valley to catch my breath. 3rd day I do it without stopping until I'm out of the valley. 4th and later days no stopping and the walk is easy. I'm 69 years old.

I am 64 and 5'4". My son is 33, 5'10" and cross trains. When we deer hunt, a lot of walking is involved, thru weeds and in rough terrain. I can't keep up with him the first couple of days. I can barely keep up the third day. I am OK the 4th day on. It has been that way for the past several years. I assume with me it is insulin resistance, being made better by the "hard" exercise.

Top Bottom