• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I see that Midway has this kit on sale for $247 plus there’s a $25 rebate for a net of $222.
    That’s a good price isn’t it?
    Is this a good way to start out or are the accessories cheap stuff that I will replace anyway? What else would I need besides powder, brass, primers and bullets?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been a Rock Chucker Fan for about three decades. I just bought the Press then added goodies. Handgun to .300Wby Mag. No major issues, just minor spring or primer cup wear. Easy to learn on. Probably some cost saving with the kit as opposed to seperate items. Can't help with current prices just "value" as a great tool.

Be safe, follow instructons and if possible get up with someone who is proficient reloading and get some hands on education, it helps a lot.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I was doing a little checking around. If I buy it thru Midway at $247 there's a $25 rebate from RCBS for a net of $222.
    But, if I buy it thru Cabela's at $299, there's a $100 rebate for a net of $199.
    I guess my question is - are these accessories garbage or worth the extra money over buying just the Rock Chucker Supreme press for $112 plus a $25 rebate for a net of $87 ?
    Can I do better with that $112 difference ?

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great deal IMO. Just the press and powder measure alone are over $200. Add a case cleaner and an Impact Bullet Puller and you're golden

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only RCBS item I ever bought that I didn't like was the powder trickler. I found it was slower then just tapping lightly on the scoop to bring charge weight up slowly when using a scale. If you just going to use scoop measurement/weight you don't need it at all. If someone has a med issue with shaking hands it might steady the powder drop.

I never bought a stand alone primer seating tool, Press did the job fine. Personal preference choice.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    pretty good deal. the only thing I see that I wouldn't use is the lube pad...there are far better ways to lube cases. I do like hand priming as opposed to press priming unless it is on the Dillon and the kit has a hand primer. There are a few things you may need that aren't there depending on what you are going to load. There are some aftermarket items that may make the RCBS more user friendly. The spent primer collection..blows IMO. The Redding presses are a little more friendly in that area. The powder drop probably could use the $7.00 baffle...probably doesn't come with it. Don't know if the drop comes with both drums...but that might nice to have if you are loading pistol and rifle. A VLD case mouth reamer and some of the other tools that you use with the handle might come in handy....primer pocket reamer..then the Lyman tool ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/135615/lyman-case-prep-multi-tool ) comes with all of it and it isn't expensive either and it all stores inside. Your going to need something to clean cases too.

Last edited:

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Didja get one Well? If you're doing this for rifle loads, get that Hornady Locknload OAL gauge and a dummy cartridge .... that's where the real
    "rubber meets road" accuracy stuff comes in... there are plenty of articles on the in's and out's.. I shoot for 1-2 thousandths off the lands. Kaferhaus loads his a bit long so when the bolt is closed, the bullet is actually jammed in the lands...

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I found a product very similar to this that I use on my Rock Chucker for spent primers. Even with its quirks it is superior to what comes with the press. Since I don't use the press priming system I think it makes things a little easier. If you have fat fingers you may have an issue but I assure you it is self correcting. Spent primers roll down the tube to a large box on the floor. Look around...mine didn't cost this much...but still worth the money spent.

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/3d-printed-improved-primer-catch-for-rcbs-rockchucker-supreme

Top Bottom