• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back when I got my HK91 (new,for $680) there were no G3's on the market. I had a buddy that had one and got to play with his a bit. Loved it. It was more like a finely crafted piece of precission machinery than a battle rifle. German designed and maliciously machined thru and thru.
    The only drawback to this gun is a fluted chamber that is somewhat a PITA to reloaders,although I reload for mine. Actually one more - - -> is ejects the brass farther than any other weapon I have shot.
    I would really like to purchase a quality scope for my gun. A scope that would make the gun proud. Maybe a Heinstoldt or an older Steiner.

Red, you were borned too late to be able to play with all the good stuff. And you clearly missed the war that was not so much politicslly correct. A war where you could "get to it" and REALLY do your job. --- SAWMAN

I think you are right sir, I always said I should have been a LRRP in Nam. Now we just roll around till we get blown up and shoot up buildings and mountains.

There is the rare occasion when we have got the drop on a few of them. Almost always at night and it took a lot of walking lol. Their early warning system is spot on. They got in the habit of leaving pieces of food just outside our entry/exit points so that when we would walk out on ambush the dogs would bark and they would know that Americans are on the hunt. Then the chess game began.

Needless to say there would have to be a dog "clean" up day every so often.

Anyway yeah I see some of those old flyers and they used to sell guns at Sears?? A few decades from now some guy is gonna say....they used to sell AR15s at Walmart??

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welp bored again....so lets talk about the MP5. Both regular SMG and SD versions. I only have experience in a military setting with these two versions so can only speak on that. Never even seen a civilian version in person.

Fit and finish on the HK is superb. Well, its an HK. Drum rear sights and full protected front post. Take down is simple enough and the little SD tends to get very dirty.

The SD version is a bit heavier than its non suppressed brother for obvious reasons. The integrally suppressed barrel unscrews easy enough and has a good bit of weight to it. I do not remember ever running it wet, but even when fired dry with super sonic ammo all you could hear is the action cycle.

Not sure of the velocity you get out of the SD but I remember standing on the 50m line while a buddy fired from 100m, and you could hear the projectile whizzing thru the air to the tgt, almost like you could see it. Never got to try sub sonic ammo in it which would have been cool but eh.

Reliability: Our examples were flawless, utterly reliable. Semi, full auto, didnt matter they just ran and ran. The SD gets very dirty and very hot during extended use and I was surprised when I broke it down to clean it that it was still running with all that gunk and carbon build up.

Accuracy: Never took it past 100m and that was about the limit of where I would have felt comfortable engaging a man sized tgt. The group was very large to say the least at 100m silhouette.

As most can guess the MP5 whether SD or un suppressed is used for a specific purpose. Usually reserved for a specialty type of action requiring, the good ol speed, surprise, and violence of action on a fixed structure. Its compact and makes for very quick tgt transitions and easy follow up shots due to the little to no recoil on the SD. Small enough to easily transition or sling to free up hands for other tasks.

Low pressure of the 9mm compared to the 556 inside a house is also nice.

Though dated in design by now it is still a cool little SMG and the SD version is a very innovative and feature rich design for its time.

I am seeing a trend in shifting away from SMG use in U.S. ranks besides specialty teams that rarely use them anyway. I think a common nice SMG in the ranks would be a decent addition. In the house he who gets the shot off first wins and you'd be hard pressed to find a rifle, even an M4 with 10in upper that you can build that kind of speed with. Other considerations of course being adjacent rooms and buildings, over penetration with the 556, and even suppressed that 556 is making noise that others will hear. If you can manage to hit your OBJ without being detected and get in the structure with an HKMP5SD, the guys in the next room will only hear bodies hitting the floor.

Anyway that is my short take on the HKMP5. Not much to it, reliable, and a special purpose weapon for sure. I do not think I would ever spring for a civilian model cause I would have to SBR it, and even then its just not my cup o tea. So 5k for a civi model with a 16in barrel. I'll pass.

Have a good night fellow firearm enthusiasts

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey its Friday. I bought a new rifle and am enjoying a celebratory adult beverage to some recent good news. So what better to do than to talk about guns right?? How about the SCAR 17 HVY. My experience only extends to the SCAR in a military setting/configuration. No clue on the civilian version but guess its mostly the same besides the full auto and shorty barrel

So lets get started.....

Most that no the SCAR know it is an FN design as a 762 nato battle rifle for special operations troops. It is not purpose built as a DMR or sniper rifle but takes place of a guys main long gun. I have had the pleasure of humping the SCAR 17 around on a couple of deployments.

Mine was FDE in color, outfitted with the shorty barrel, sorry do not know the length. Had a Magpul AFG. Magpul single point sling, Spectre Elcan 1-4 optic, and an LA5 for laser/night time work.

I did not use a taclight often enough to justify the extra weight of an already heavy rifle. I mounted a suppressor on it initially but figured when stuff starts its noisy enough and I do not want the extra weight.

They have specific rounds for the rifles. We were not de-linking MG belts. I do not remember the nomenclature beside we were told they were built for accuracy. Fair enough. While getting a good zero I noticed check weld is important and the SCAR has a height adjustable comb. I had it lifted one notch and had a consistent sight picture. The Elcan is a pretty nice piece of kit and parallax "free" so that helps.

Groups during initial zero all fell into the same hole. I never really measured at 100 meters but my example was a 1-2 MOA rifle. The optic and ammo help alot I am sure. After a good zero and using the BDC for a 762 calibrated Elcan. 500m shots are effortless. I do not know what magic is in that round but it reached 500m very fast and had some oompf behind it still. I am sure you can score hits easy out to 800m if you can see that far on 4x.

Fed by 20 round mags the shooters firing hand immediately reverts to muscle memory of any M4. Selector, bolt release etc are in the same positions so there is a lot of familiarity to it. Ambi selector as well. Even has an M4 style pistol grip. Only learning curve is the charging handle.

The charging handle reciprocates and is usually mounted stock on the shooters left side. This turns off some guys as they like to ride thumbs high for height over bore reasons and tend to get their thumbs smacked. Easy fix, put the charging handle on the other side of the rifle and operate AK style. A bit of learning curve but you get used to it quick.

Internals, I do not know how to explain it but it reminds me of an AK. It is a heavy mass of bolt carrier with a piston extending from it. Very simple to take down and very simple to put back together. Though I found it flawless reliable anytime I maintenanced my rifle, I lent it to some guys that have never fired one on the condition they did not mess with my sights, they wipe it down and refill my mags. They brought it back no problem looked a bit too oily for my liking but figured eh it'll run, its a SCAR. Well it did not, I do not know how they re assembled it but I could not get past one round. Gas setting was correct and all. I tore it down to field strip, put it back together and it ran like a top again. Mystery to me. I don't know maybe too oily.

Basic combat load. I would carry 7 mags on my person and 4 more in an assault pack. So a sacrifice from standard 210 556 to 140 762 accessible before I am asking the guy next to me to swap me out some mags. Would also carry extra rounds in the truck or ATV. If worst came to worse then I would de link some MG ammo but luckily I never got into anything that serious.

Effectiveness, well its a 762 nato battle rifle. It is a super potent round in a package designed to be your main long gun. I am not a big guy myself so I feel the weight of it. A big 6ft gym guy will be able to wield that puppy way faster than I ever would. Just have to know your limitations. Everyone wants to be number 1 man in the house but sometimes with a heavier rifle or light MG it is best to leave 1 and 2 spots for the dudes rocking the m4 with 10in barrels as usually they are lighting fast comparatively speaking. However it is not outside the realm of possibility to be 1 or 2 man but follow up shots are not nearly as fast, no matter how big you are.

The platform itself is very modular and barrels can be changed with ease for different length and shooter preference. I have seen guys rock the 20in barrels and say they love it cause it hardly kicks. A 20in Scar barrel I could use as a pole vault so I kept it as short as possible. SCAR specific 40mm grenade launchers are available but again weight becomes an issue so if you got the tag your it, you usually just slung a 320 over your back and fastened a belt bandoleer with various rounds. Mostly HE.

They make a 6x Elcan in 762 calibration but again it is bigger and you lose FOV in close in situations so I always opted for a 762 Elcan in 1-4 magnification.

Would I recommend buying a civi version? Sure if you have a couple of G's to throw around. It is a fantastic rifle. Having had some time behind one and being the civil servant I am, I cannot in good conscious throw over 2k at a rifle. I mean I would have to buy the rifle at 2k or over, then I would have to buy the Elcan which is another 2k, I could leave the LA5 out cause I am not buying any night vision, and I would not like the 16in barrel. So over 4k for a SCAR HVY clone? Not unless I hit the powerball then sure.

Updated pic of my SCAR as I carried had it configured. Note charging handle AK style

Attachments

• scar.jpg
      scar.jpg
      113.4 KB · Views: 133
    Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any Nam guys have experience with the Stoner 63? I read that was an amsome lmg so long as it was cleaned a lot. Kinda like our current SAW I guess, runs great clean but is worthless dirty.
    Anybody here got some insight on the UZI, either in service or civilian versions, I have always wanted one cause the history
    Heck let’s go back further, anyone have any write ups from personal experience on the svt40, Johnson rifle, M3 grease gun, sten, or Thompson? Never got to play with any of those.
    M2, mk19, mk47, mk48 gpmg, even a m249 write up. I have shot several but never carried it enough to really have that much to say about it othe than I would sacfrice my body to keep the saw clean lol.
    Never got to see an xm8 but know dudes from 10th Mountain and the 101st Airborne got to test some. Shame never saw a civilian version.
    What kind of cool stuff have you run into in your government sponsored vacations?

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Thompson made under the Thompson patents by Kahr. Its a fun shooter. Probably 500s round down the tube and not a singe misfire. Bolt is built like a steel brick. Recoil is less than a 22lr due to the weight of the gun. For the weight to round perspective the 30 round stick mags are way more efficient and keeps the rifle balanced. Change out if a breeze with sticks, the 50 round drum makes the rifle front heavy and it a PITA to change out, but for the look you cant beat it.

at 25 yards you cut a ragged fist sized hole in the target as fast as you want to pull the trigger. With a little bit of sight adjustment you can "lob" rounds into a target at 100 yards but the 45acp is moving so slow at that point you can fire, wait and hear it hit paper. Effective range is probably 75 yards max.

As I said at the start its a very fun rifle to have and shoot, gets lots of looks at the range. When I take it out I usually let a few different people shoot it just so they can say they have shot one. Last time it was at the range I let an older gentleman shoot it and he was all smiles the rest of my time there.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well here are some thoughts on the MK48 GP MG. Though I have not seen any civilian semi only versions like the M249 yet I am sure it is only a matter of time.

To sum it up, it is a bigger version of the SAW minus the place to insert a mag. We usually carry 50 nutsacks to 100rd boxes. Sometimes it is carried with just a starter belt and a ready to load belt on the left side. Bit cumbersome for a 762 round but if you are a big guy it usually dont get in the way plus it is a handy place to place your favorite beverage. Usually an energy drink of sorts.

I do not think that the MK48 has the cyclic rate of its little brother, cant be sure, just felt that way. One thing I can be sure of is reliability between the two I found to be night and day. The Mk48 ate everything in any condition, in any weather.

Made out of mostly stamped parts and a nice thick barrel the Mk48 maintains a relatively light profile especially when compared to the 240L. Yep its easier to hip fire and shoulder fire than the Lima 240 which is supposed to be the beez.

I never got it hot enough to where I felt the need to change barrels though it very quickly changes out. It is a very modular weapon like all other U.S. military weapons. As the pic shows we kept it simple for this specific excursion. Note the spent brass and links :)

Minimal rail system for the night laser stuff and maybe a forward grip to aid in run in gun. Bipod folds but left usually extended to hit the dirt quick and lay the scunnion. Carry handle folds away but as you can see we left it up cause we were running around a lot, and if needed to displace, gunner or closest to MG would carry it off to another position.

I don't think linked 762 has changed much since the Nam days with every 5rd being a tracer, though sometimes we come across some belts that every other round was a tracer. I think every 5th is sufficient to walk round onto an area or point tgt. As far as accuracy goes, well its minute of man at least, and this puppy reaches out something sweet. Army procurement did something right for a change and started getting these MGs into our boys hands. Not that the 240 was bad it was just too much gun for the round and most soldiers. The Mk48 is small, powerful, and hits every bit as hard as the ol Mag 58(240).

Used to be the MG guy was "out of the loop" so to speak while on a long hump. Usually put the MG team between fire teams or behind a squad, both the gunner staring at the ground and the ammo bearer staring at the ground cause the weight just sucks. They always come to life when something happens though, and it isn't really their job to be "on point" anyway. With the Mk48 not so, there is at least one more head on a swivel.

I used the MK48 enough to love it but not enough to know everything about it. Bout all I know is it is super reliable, light, and all around is a better gun than the 240B or Lima versions. If you have experience with the 249 the Mk48 comes natural.

Attachments

• mk48.JPG
      mk48.JPG
      1,012.3 KB · Views: 149

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opinions on the long serving sidearm of the US Military? The good ol M9 Beretta.

I guess bottom line it does what it is supposed to do. It is reliable, fullsize, and if need be you can beat someone with it.

In the few different Army units I have served in I have seen them configured a number of ways. Mostly different holster configurations and grips. having small hands myself I always preferred the standard grips that came with them.

I am sure you recent vets from the current generation have seen officers and senior nco's buy their leather holsters at the local FOB shops thinking they are so cool having a M9 slung under their shoulder and a spare mag under the other just so they did not have to walk around the rear areas with a long gun. Those holsters of course kept the pistol pointed straight in the face of anyone walking behind the person lol.

Employment: I will be honest, I only ever had to unholster my sidearm when I was clearing a small cave I had to crawl thru. Never had to discharge it though and thank God never ran into anyone or booby traps during that little adventure.

All I remember before going in was checking the slide mounted safety like 5 times to make sure it was off and made sure my flashlight was working. I had a bad habit of re-engaging the safety during mag changes or if it just got dragged around or bumped into stuff.

I do remember the only guy that I have served with to ever shoot someone with one was by accident. He was a MG gunner which usually had a drop leg holster M9 and this guy ended up shooting his squad leader in the arm. No one was seriously hurt though.

Depending on the unit assigned to and training received. We would keep our M9s in a retention hip holster, chambered with the safety off. No sense in drawing a secondary under pressure and having to remember to disengage the safety. This would freak everyone out in the rear areas whenever we would be lucky enough to visit. They would point out, "your safety is off" and the MPs would be the worst. lol. Same whenever we would have our shades on top of our head.

Back to the pistol. Functionally speaking it was a great gun albeit large and heavy. After much "focused" and scenario focused training it was determined that the M9 was just not going to cut it for the type of work we were doing. Not saying that a transition to secondary is always in the cards, but there are times when meeting with elders or other folks where you wanna look as non threatening as possible but be able to produce a reliable a capable gun while you fight your way out to better arms. So certain units switched to one of the striker fired polymer wonders with no safety. Just a simple fighting mans gun.

The M9 is nice just dated. The locking mechanism is akin to a P38, it is accurate and all around a good pistol in my opinion. For the average guy that will likely only un holster it just to dust it off it does the job I suppose but it would suck to really need a back up and be fishing to unleash from the holster, then take the safety off then sight up. Heck I even saw some units out there that actually used the lanyard loop lol.

M9 still holds a place in my heart because it is the first handgun I ever fired and I learned all the fundamentals on. Not sure on this P320? replacement as I have not even seen one yet.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I think that there is a love vs. hate issue with the M9 and M9A1. Personally, I like the platform. I have a number of 92s as well as a M9, M9A1, and now a M9A3. A lot of guys, including my little brother, do not like the weight or the trigger on the Beretta 92s. I have no issue with it myself. The 92/M9/M9A1 is not for everyone. It is, however, a dependable firearm.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Absolutely a reliable weapon. Id prefer to take a farther shot with a M9 in SA than any Glock for sure. I am going to get a M9 one day just as a plaque wall hanger someday. I do very much like that Mec Gar makes 18rd flush fit mags for them now too

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for your posts. Sure is neat to hear your thoughts on some of the newer weapons. Yeah my M9 was flawless. Carried it every day on duty (SP) we carried with a round chambered and the safety off. Very accurate, the first DA shot was a little heavy but that's why we practice lol, and as you know if you actually have to use it you def will not notice under stress. Several of us could shoot one ragged hole in the 9/10 ring on qualification days. I plan to get one also just to show my kids what dad carried on duty back in the day. From what I have read I will have to buy one and then replace some of the now plastic internals to have one comparable.

I got to handle the MP5 and the UZI while working out of the embassy in Manila. Never got to shoot either one but from just that experience I would have grabbed the HK. I did get to shoot a G3 on the range a few months ago and wow what a fine piece. Like you said there are times you get what you pay for.

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used an M9 while on the shooting team while stationed at FLW about 7 years back. I've handled and fired one before that, and even carried one for a bit on my last deployment but never put as many rounds down range with one as I did getting ready for the All Army Shooting Competition. I was very happy with mine and would like to get one some day. It was accurate (I was able to create some decent ragged holes out to 25-35yds) and I had maybe one stovepipe out of about 600rnds during the train up. It was easy to take apart and clean and the manual of arms was easy to understand and get proficient with.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jeff Cooper would roll over in his grave .
    There was never a problem with the 1911's. There was however . . a problem with the training. If the US military took the time to train it's troops properly with the older 1911's they would find it more useful than any "spray and pray" sidearm.
    In my time,I played an extremely small part in the switch from the 1911 to the Beretta. With a "stop over" with the Glocks on the way. It was politics and the question of training. The "no safety" Glock had most everyone, except the above average trainer, scared shitless. The adaptability of our troops was severely underestimated.
    Just my opinion.
    Enjoy those 92's. Me . . . ?? . . . I will never own one or fight with one. ---- SAWMAN

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAWMAN, I picked up a 1911 many years ago and never regretted it. It is my go-to whenever I may need it. The M9 would just be another one for the collection, as meager as it is. Now, IMO the M9 is not a "spray and pray" firearm. My uncoordinated ass was able to get some real good shot groups out of it. Granted, it was a controlled environment with no one shooting back but I think that many people don't give the M9 the credit that its due. Is it better than the 1911? Hell no, but it is a decent to great firearm in the right hands with the right training. I understand that holds true with any firearm out there. Not trying to start a debate or argument. I will always choose a 1911.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Try this on for size - - -> Ask any fan of the US military using the 92's if they would still be as big fan if the 92 was a single stack holding a max of 7rds. ( ????? )
    AND - - -> If your only choice was the Beretta 92 or the Glock 17,which pistol would you rather FIGHT with. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally, if I had to choose between a single stack 92 or a 1911 I would go with the 1911 even though the 92 would be better for a south-paw like myself because you can switch the mag eject. The double action is a good feature, but not necessary. Most of the guys that I have served with never really handled a 1911 and liked the 92 plenty. I think that they may go with the single stack 92, but I just don't know.
    For a fight, I would go with the 92 because I know what I can do with it as opposed to the Glock, which I have very little experience. I have put about 900rnds down the barrel of a 92, both for qualifying and competition. I have MAYBE 100rnds with a select few of the Glock line. I know that the Glock family is known for dependability and accuracy. I have seen some amazing shots with Glocks. I have also seen some amazing shots with the 92. As a secondary firearm I would go with the 92.

That's only if I can't get to my 1911 or Makarov.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Agreed SAWMAN. Never had a problem with the 1911. It is the first pistol I ever shot, and the one I learned all the basics with from my grandfather. It is also still what I reach for first to defend what is most precious to me. When I was active duty the 1911 was no longer issued so the M9 was it.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey its Friday again!! What better thing to do when bored and feeling under the weather than chat about guns. Especially my favorite style of firearms, the military style.

So a few thoughts on the ROMAK III PSL 54C.

I have been fortunate enough to handle both the military issue and civilian issue PSL rifles. Couple of little differences between the two but the meat and potatoes are identical.

The flash hider on the civilian version is often pinned onto the muzzle. The military version will have a detent plug and spring much like a regular AK.

The bayonet lug is shaved or completely absent on most civilian imports. It was present on every military version I came across.

That is where the differences end for the most part. There may have been some changes to the civilian for 922 compliance but I am unsure of the complete list. The civilian PSL I have handled had an amazing trigger. Could have been better but they did not put garbage in there by any means. Considering the purpose of the PSL is to be a marksmen weapon and not necessaraly a "precision" rifle it does a good job of covering that base.

The rifle is built around an RPK style receiver with bulged front trunnion and reinforcing plates at the rear of the receiver. The action is identical to that of an AK47 just bigger to accomadate the bigger x54r round. Rifle is fed by 10rd magazines and lock to the rear on last shot.

Thumbhole wood furniture varies in color but usually laminated examples. Operating the rifle is exactly the same as your standard AK. On non illuminated scope variations you can easily still use the standard iron sights if you had to. The action cycles very smooth on every example I have played with and you can tell little details were put in to up the fit and finish quality. These are not long barrel WASR rifles by any means. Actions are "tight" with minimal slop and greasy cycling.

The 4x TiP scope was originally tritium illuminated but so many were made during the 70s that the ones floating around now have no trace of glow. I have heard you can replace them if you are really dedicated but eh. The integrated range finder is a nice touch to get quick ranging and shots off. I beleive it was set to 66in height objects. Index tgt along the range reticle and where it fits get your number and that is your distance. Easy peasy. You can then adjust your elevation knob in increments of 100m or just use the BDC calibrated for the caliber. Since the scope is offset of the bore you will have to adjust the windage for shots past 100m or use the stadea lines. Oh course this is all time and circumstance dependent.

Again this is not a precision rifle, but a rifle that is very effective is employed properly and the user knows how to either adjust on the fly or know his hold overs for distance and lateral deviations. An easy way for a basic set up is to get a good 100m zero. Dial in then slip and reset turrets. Now you know you are spot on at 100m on the big inverted V. Beyond that either using the integrated range finder or laser range finder, map out for yourself a range card on likely avenues of approach, key terrain, etc etc. This of course if you are in a static position. But a solid 100m zero will do you well if you come upon a chance tgt while walking around.

The 7.62x54r round most would agree has almost the same properties of our 30-06 round. So in essence if you were to get a 5rd mag or block for a 10rd which are available, you could hunt with this rifle. It is long and unweildy but if effective especially from a static position.

This sucker is loud. I mean loud, and kicks something fierce. I guess between the potent round and all that BCG mass flying back into the shooters shoulder that is to be expected.

IMO a PSL 54c is as close as you can get to a currently issued, foreign military rifle you can get your hands on right now. Its is semi auto only both military and civilian and I honestly could not remember any differences between the Iraqis Romaks and the PSL 54's you can find stateside every now and then. Caveat to that. There are some FPK, TGI imports, or kit builds on American receivers that unfortunately do not have a good reputation. You want the Cugir, Romanian ROMAK rifle, built in good ol Romania and imported by CAI.

Picture is of yours truely in Baghdad Iraq circa 07 or 08 I do not remember anymore. Have a great weekend all.

Attachments

• psl edited.jpg
      psl edited.jpg
      317.9 KB · Views: 96
    Top Bottom