• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've never embellished my Navy career, but I once was a Corpsman assigned (per diem) to a "house (compound of many small buildings) of ill repute" on the island of Curaçao, Dutch West Indies. Took some meds off the ship with me to treat some of the ladies...better than our Marines catching something such as pediculosis pubis. The ladies appreciated my help.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Anything to avoid punching bores, eh doc?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That sounds like embellishment to me. Pics or it didnt happen.

Did have pics (actually slides), but they were lost when my home burnt. Wife and I stored them separately from other photos lest my mother see them. Many very beautiful girls, many in late teens/twenties...just a temporary job for them during off college time; very open about what they did. From many countries. Place was called something like Casa de ________ (Spanish word for joy or happiness or pleasure) if I remember correctly. I did not partake, although it would have been free for me. A doctor did visit once per week, but I knew that in-between that something could have been caught and transmitted.

I am sure we have some older Marines on the forum, so they will understand the early 1970's "Marine mindset" about such things. It was officially off limits and surrounded by a brick wall with broke off bottles along the top of the wall. Marines thought a Marine might try and climb over the wall and get cut, thus they wanted a Corpsman there from about early afternoon until about midnight. Per diem meant I could make some extra $, as I could still get a meal or two on the ship.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So you think what? That the site is lying about what the CIA says?

I correctly observed that the website "splinternews" is HEAVILY slanted to Left "stories", and you ASSume I believe/Think a certain way. Hmmm... Jumping to so many conclusions must be tiring.

Every single "story" on that site is about something negative from Republicans, Trump, ICE, etc... No BALANCE. Hence, heavily Biased.

As for the CIA, they seem to have stated a FACT. He was in the Army during those years. He never actively DEPLOYED to that specific AOR.

Just because the "Story" quotes a bunch of tweets/snippets that label him a "Gulf War Vet", doesn't mean anything.

Was he in service during the war? YES.
    Did he ever deploy? Apparently.
    Was it to the sandbox? Apparently not.
    Did anyone ask him, to his face, and record him lying about it? Apparently NOT.

If so, then perhaps that fact would be more newsworthy than just laundry listing what a bunch of other people tweeted.

Big pile of digital horse-shit... aimed at manipulating the weak-minded.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1) If 25 years later, his service record is still widely misreported, I must think that that is the way he wants it. He's had plenty of time to get the correct information out. Decades. There is no such confusion with my service record, or that of any other veteran that I know.

2) When incorrect information about his service record was stated on the senate floor last year, he had an obligation to correct it, because now it had become part of the Congressional Record. Lying by omission is no different then lying by commission. Unless of course he simply wasn't aware of the misrepresentation because he wasn't at all following his senate confirmation proceedings, which I find a highly doubtful state of affairs, given the stakes.

3) I see no evidence or allegation that he deployed anywhere whatsoever.

4) The 2 stories immediately following this one were:

A. Texas Charter School Apologizes for Quizzing Students on ‘Positive Aspects’ of Slavery

B. Missouri Governor Eric Greitens Charged with Another Felony

If a person continued looking farther then that, then I'd say they were intent on finding a reason not to believe direct quotes from multiple media outlets and a video of the information being presented on the Senate Floor and being made part of the Congressional Record, and therefore no amount of factual information would sway them from this task.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I correctly observed that the website "splinternews" is HEAVILY slanted to Left "stories", and you ASSume I believe/Think a certain way. Hmmm... Jumping to so many conclusions must be tiring.

I assumed nothing. I asked a question based on your response to the link. How you choose to answer is your choice.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If only he could rely on some people whose job includes issuing press releases to clear up such confusion and set the record straight, or if he only knew a phone number for a reporter somewhere, or if he had a chance to meet any of the 51 members of Congress who praised him for his combat service and who have been repeating that misinformation...

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, Droshki and LowRiderRed, you two are blaming Pompeo for "not" auto-correcting people for calling him a "Gulf War Veteran"?

Did he serve in the military during the Gulf War?
    Would you tell someone who served during World War II that they aren't a World War II Veteran unless their duty-stations meet some certain criteria?

Seems like Droshki already made his opinion known in this very thread earlier:
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/s...-embellishment&p=382521&viewfull=1#post382521

Maybe he wasn't serious?

Who cares. Bottom line is still the same: Pompeo served his Country in the Armed Forces. If people want to label it a certain way, that's on them.

And no, I don't give a shit about social media quotes. You honestly expect the Director of the CIA to go around saying "uhm, wait a minute folks, let me just clarify, since that comment you made might be mis-construed by nit-picking haters, so let me stop what I'm doing and grammar-police the masses, humbly, of course, because I wouldn't want to offend the snowflakes, or be counter-accused of chest-thumping grand-standing my Service."

Something ridiculous like that?

Oh that's right. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Gotta find a fault to pick at, correct Lefties? Follow your media Pied-Pipers...
    By all means, continue to let the hate flow.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interestingly enough, this information was edited out of his Wikipedia page "on 21 April 2018, at 19:25", which is 2 hours ago.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, Droshki and LowRiderRed, you two are blaming Pompeo for "not" auto-correcting people for calling him a "Gulf War Veteran"?

He's had 27 years to correct this information.

Did he serve in the military during the Gulf War?

Yes, but by all available accounts, his service has been embellished.

Would you tell someone who served during World War II that they aren't a World War II Veteran unless their duty-stations meet some certain criteria?

I wold tell a non-combat veteran that their service was non-combat but equally valuable, so that there was no need to embellish it, no matter what war or conflict.

Seems like Droshki already made his opinion known in this very thread earlier:
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/s...-embellishment&p=382521&viewfull=1#post382521

Maybe he wasn't serious?

See above

Who cares. Bottom line is still the same: Pompeo served his Country in the Armed Forces. If people want to label it a certain way, that's on them.

If 51 Congressmen enter incorrect service characterization into the congressional record, I do feel that the veteran or service member has an obligation to correct. Somebody in his position has staff that can handle this for him quite easily.

And no, I don't give a shit about social media quotes. You honestly expect the Director of the CIA to go around saying "uhm, wait a minute folks, let me just clarify, since that comment you made might be mis-construed by nit-picking haters, so let me stop what I'm doing and grammar-police the masses, humbly, of course, because I wouldn't want to offend the snowflakes, or be counter-accused of chest-thumping grand-standing my Service."

Something ridiculous like that?

Oh that's right. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Gotta find a fault to pick at, correct Lefties? Follow your media Pied-Pipers...
    By all means, continue to let the hate flow.

I hope this helps clarify my position on military service embellishment. This was the exact premise of the thread: If you were a supply clerk, own it, there's nothing wrong with it, and never a reason to embellish one's service.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just to be clear:
    -He served his Country in the Armed Forces during the "Gulf War"
    -He never lied about his service.
    -You think he's not a "Gulf War Veteran"
    -You think he should've continuously corrected everyone every time they mis-phrased their description of his service.

Hmmm. Sounds like nit-picky weak-sauce school-yard whining.

I appreciate the reality-check you fellas provide. Sometimes I forget how narrow-minded, two faced, and hate-focused people can be... Then you guys start another feeding-frenzy on someone/something tied to the current administration, and here we are again.

Holy Shit. The way you talk about it, folks might think this guy wears a fake Medal Of Honor and gives himself parades.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the Wall Street Journal said that I "fought in the first gulf war", I would correct them. As many times as necessary. Because I have integrity.

I actually did some quite interesting and valuable work during that war and contributed to it in a unique way, but I did not fight in it, and I would always correct anyone that stated otherwise.

Top Bottom