• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys, its Friday night and I am bored as usual. Have been noticing lately that most veterans I run into whether local or in other places tend to embellish their military service?

Is it just me noticing this or have you all seen this as well. I spent enough time in the military to know when someone is pissing on my leg about something, especially when it comes to Army subjects. The whole "oh cool man you served? What was your MOS?" The classic "oh I was a scout recon sniper" comes up way to often. I can hardly contain my laughter. Or the "I was Special Ops" or "I can't talk about it" etc etc.

I don't understand it. If you were a bearded, barrel chested, freedom fighter then cool, awesome, good on ya mate. If you were a finance clerk in the S1 shop then why don't people own it? Service is respectable and commendable regardless of what you job you did. If you are a veteran you did more than most Americans have done and if you are a combat veteran then you have done even more regardless of whether you were a pipe hitter or a paper pusher.

Saying you served and having never served is a whole other rant, but I am talking about the guy who did his time in whatever field, in whatever branch that insists that he was some secret squirrel special operator. I just do not get it. If you tried to go Special Forces and did not make it then hey man you tried. That's more than most can say. If you never even gave it a shot and claim to be it, it is pretty transparent to anyone that served, not just Special Ops guys.

I have yet to meet the cook in the wild. That is to say, I have yet to sit at a bar enjoy the atmosphere and have a good conversation with a veteran who was just a normal guy in the service. All I have met are Delta, Seal, Ranger, Sniper, SpecOPs guys. Never met a guy that said yep I ran the dining facility or man I was the best helicopter mechanic there was. I respect folks who served this country, in any capacity.

Eh, I am just bored and figured I'd stir it up a bit.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a great uncle that openly admits he was a cook in Korea. He said any time the eggs were scrambled basically meant they were bad, They waisted nothing. That and the train seats were tiny back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've had SEALs in the back of my helicopter.... Ips post facto.... Ima SEAL too. Right? That's how that works isn't it? Did I mention my helicopter was black?

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Baseball cap. Oakleys. Beard. Long hair. Sleeve tattoos. Suunto watch. Tactical gloves. Dump pouch. Multicam. Infidel patch. I think thats what comes in the Operator starter kit on Amazon :)

cmtoef11b

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because they all regret not being a Grunt .... and know they are POGs (personnel other than grunts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    worked for a contractor in the early 70.s doing spec. ops. does that count , My job was NDI for Aro-Eng. Div. to make such that helicopter was safe to go. So can I say I was spec. ops. I have downed a lot of helicopter's with just a pin. Just 5 cents jj

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a lot of them do that because of that way civilians react when you say "I was an Army cook from '84 to '88. They're like "oh, ok." Or they ask "you see any action?" and you tell them no, then that's pretty much the end of the discussion. There is so much general military worship in the US, in our area, but not everyone is able to get that type of attention in a one on one discussion when you tell them "I was a supply clerk at NAS Pensacola for four years got out."

I have no problem telling anyone what I did because while there were some cool things I did and some that were boring, in the end it probably is pretty cool sounding to most people. But the attention is uncomfortable to me. So I just tell people that I was in intelligence and if they ask, I say I did go to Afghanistan. That's about all I really say in person.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd of gladly traded places with any pogue (REMF) when I was freezing my ass off in the field. "Headquarters Battery", they rarely saw the woods.

I was "Special Forces", no really. Pershing Missile units were considered a "special force", even had our own shoulder tab. They don't give those to just any dog face !

Attachments

• 56th%20FA%20Bde%20patch%201.jpg
      56th%20FA%20Bde%20patch%201.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 308
    Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it depends on who you are talking to. Service member to service member, just about everyone embellishes out of fun and both sides are OK with it if you stay within the limits. It's all part of telling the story. Walked 3 miles becomes 5 miles, becomes ran 5 miles in full gear....

Service member talking to civilians. You can get away with some serious BS :D I find I usually dumb it down and put things in terms they'll understand and try not to overdo it 'cause most just want some kind of answer and then lose interest.

I'll end with this. I read an article a while back that said at any given time, somewhere around 5% of the living population will have EVER served in the military. That includes Active, Guard, Reserve, and spans generations. So, if you EVER served you are in that 5%. Something to be proud of. If you actually pressed on to 20+ years, I have to believe you are in an elite group that is likely less than 1% of the living population. :usa2:

Last edited:

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not ashamed of what I did in the Army. Wanted to be a helicopter pilot but couldn't because of poor eyesight so ended up like this guy. Same rank and same tour of duty but 10 years after the hostilities ended. BTW, being a company clerk had its own fringe benefits. :D

Attachments

• radar.jpg
      radar.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 313

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Times and things change in the late 60s and early 70s you didn't admit you were in the service. If you did you were shunned and look down on and called vile names . Now days ever other old guy you meet is a Vietnam veteran. In my mind anyone that served in any capacity is equal.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my mind anyone that served in any capacity is equal.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. Anyone who served voluntarily or drafted, earned the title of Veteran. I hate that so many embellish or outright lie about their service. I've met more "spec ops" guys than I have cooks or supply. It's laughable how many claim to be SEALs, Rangers, SF, RECON, etc. Most that hold that title keep to themselves about it. They know what they did and don't need any claps on the back or attaboys from strangers. I've worked at a couple gunshops and that's all I ever heard about with military service. I kinda wanted to say either STFU and buy the gun or move along. No one wants to hear your BS. Now that I've gotten riled up about it I need some coffee....

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    One of the things I learned in my Spec. Ops. job was you could trade a LB. of coffee for most any thing on base. and for 5 lb you could all most get the whole base. You didn't buy any thing you just found what some one wanted , then stated trading . Just my 5 cents jj

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    had a buddy that worked at Donohue liquors downtown before it was sold & torn down, one of the locals that would
    come in and drink there was a seal(supposedly), and everytime some one mentioned knowing a seal, this guy would always ask his name(like he knew them all)...and would pass judgement if they were a wannabe, or a real seal

my buddy said he would have loved to have a real seal(animal) in the back of a van, and tell him there was a seal outside in the van, just so the guy would ask his name, and go meet him in the van...and see a real seal...

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Maybe it's time from discharge dependent? The more time goes by, the taller the tales become? One day you're getting out as a parachute packer, next thing you know, 10 years of re-telling later and you were an EOD seal. Lol
    I see a close relationship to the proximity to the bases around here and what they do, so obviously Naval aviation, Army stuff and Air Force things.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any time I am asked, my response is "bulk fuel; pump gas, kick ass, and never spill a drop". Of course that story is a complete fabrication of my service, but I just like how it flows off the tongue.

Top Bottom