SIG MCX upper on M16 lower...It's Alive!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Installed a Parker Mountain Machining sear trip lever in my 11.5" 5.56 MCX upper (SIG will not sell this part to civilians even with proof of full auto ownership). It connects the MCX bolt carrier to the auto sear in the M16 lower. In and of itself, it doesn't make a full auto firearm, a full auto lower is required. The MCX upper comes already machined for the trip lever.

Installed a Geissele SSF trigger group in my M16 lower so it would fire with the MCX upper (GI M16 trigger group would not push the firing pin lock out of the way to allow the SIG firing pin to be hit by the hammer).

Removed the A2 stock and buffer assembly from the M16 lower.

Installed the SIG MCX to AR adaptor in the M16 lower.

Pull all together and dry fired functioned check...all good.

Fired 40 rounds today in full auto in burst from 2-10 rounds...perfect functioning! Semi auto functioned as it should. Bolt locked back on empty mags. Examination of all parts showed nothing wrong.

I certainly didn't "need" to take on this challenge. I figured since the MCX and AR trigger groups and takedown pin positions are the same/similar, to mate a MCX upper to M16 lower and have it function might be possible. I'd seen so many SIG Shot Show and advertisement videos showing full auto MCX firing, that I decided to figure out what makes it possible. Watch enough SIG videos and here and there if you freeze the video you can get glimpses of what's inside the full auto MCX. What really made it possible was an after market company making trip levers, SIG giving me an MCX upper to AR lower adaptor, and friends helping with building and experiments.

For all the pics or it didn't happen people, kendive will be making a video of MCX full auto firing soon.

In the upper picture, to the right, is the trip lever sticking out where it will contact the auto sear when mounted on the M16 lower. To the left is part where it contacts the bolt carrier. The bottom pic shows it put together with a SIG folding stock folded. The bbl has a Midwest Industries blast diverter on the end of the bbl to help throw the sound away from the shooter and others shooting on each side. Takedown of the upper remains the same...the bolt carrier group simply slides out. On a semi auto lower, the trip lever does nothing...just sits there not moving. On a full auto lower, when the selector is set to AUTO, the auto sear will be moved and come in contact with the trip lever working with the auto sear spring.

DSCN3342.JPG DSCN3343.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3342.JPG
      DSCN3342.JPG
      116.3 KB · Views: 1,694
    • DSCN3343.JPG
      DSCN3343.JPG
      144.9 KB · Views: 1,234

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jealous.

Is the adapter two parts? I've not seen one in person and was trying to figure out how you got the shelf over the top of the buffer extension and got the bottom detent into the lower.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Adaptor is 4 pieces. Screw threaded part into the lower where a buffer tube would normally screw in. Hold back (large part with picatinny rail) part in contact with back of the threaded part. Drop buffer piece into front of the threaded part. Drop bolt in the hole in the threaded part...bolt goes through buffer and threaded part and screws into the back part holding all together.

DSCN3326.JPG DSCN3327.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3326.JPG
      DSCN3326.JPG
      98.1 KB · Views: 931
    • DSCN3327.JPG
      DSCN3327.JPG
      62.1 KB · Views: 1,080

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dam it, now there is something else I want and it's all your fault. Luckily some parts are made of almost-unobtainium. The slightly more common isotope of unbotainium. Daezee, I look forward to videos of you shooting your latest, Marry Shelley creation? Also the comments when you post on AR15.com

Nate are there any deals on SIG uppers?

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dam it, now there is something else I want and it's all your fault. Luckily some parts are made of almost-unobtainium. The slightly more common isotope of unbotainium. Daezee, I look forward to videos of you shooting your latest, Marry Shelley creation? Also the comments when you post on AR15.com

Nate are there any deals on SIG uppers?

I don't have a source for MCX uppers. I've seen them on GB but I think they're still a little on the high side. Cheapest I've seen is $900 for a complete one but can't get confirmation on which has block/carrier it is

Top Bottom