• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have been wondering why you hardly hear about these rifles, I got one a few years ago and it shoots very well and accurate. It is much easier to shoot than an AK to me for some reason. Lighter and seems to be less recoil,and a way better trigger. So how come there are not more of them around ?? Any input or experience from the AK fans ? And Yes I realize it is not an AK.

Attachments

• index.jpg
      index.jpg
      7.2 KB · Views: 307
    • images.jpg
      images.jpg
      10.2 KB · Views: 302

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a czechpoint vz58 that I really liked. Down sides; cost, less aftermarket. I've seen a couple of the century versions and wasn't real impressed with the overall quality, but I've also heard of others that were happy with them. It sounds like the standard CAI crapshoot.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I guess I got lucky, only issue is 1 bad mag out of 5. Otherwise it works great. I am wondering why I like this and I don't really care for AK's that much.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I could find one not built by Century, I would be interested. I have a VZ61 Scorpion that needs a friend. Along the same kind of lines would be if I could find a VZ52/57. Been hunting for one of them for a couple of years. I digress though, I want everything. Back on topic, I've got a buddy that has Century 2008 in a folder configuration and he said it gets hot really quickly if you do a mag dump with it. Otherwise, he likes it. IIRC he paid about $500 for it and that was maybe 2 years ago. I dig the beaver barf furniture on them too.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I guess I got lucky, only issue is 1 bad mag out of 5. Otherwise it works great. I am wondering why I like this and I don't really care for AK's that much.

A lot of folks feel the same way - personally I've never shot a VZ, but they sure look fun. They have more in common with the SKS than the AK as far as operation goes; I've heard it's a smoother shooting experience overall. What kind of AKs do you run?

JoeCorrado said:
    IIRC he paid about $500 for it and that was maybe 2 years ago. I dig the beaver barf furniture on them too.

Yeah, they blew them out a couple years ago. It was a package deal, something like the rifle + four mags, a mag pouch and all the usual combloc goodies (oiler and such) for around $400 - $450. Kinda regret not getting one, especially one of the folders.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would get one given the opportunity someday. I think they are great rifles. Great alternative to the AK. Like others noted, the system is a bit different, but they are nonetheless reliable, milled, quality rifles.

I fired the real deal overseas and while smooth shooting on single, flipping the fun switch will take you for a little ride more that an AK does. I don't know why. Seems like it cycled faster than most AKs, the gas type is a bit different and maybe the way the BCG and bolt reciprocate, you have no piston counter balance just a chunk of metal slamming to the rear if I remember right. Fun to shoot either way and would not hesitate to own one and run around the mountains with it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The originals were designed as improvements over the other Soviet Bloc versions. Milled receiver and different internals, bolt hold open.
    Mag compatability was a issue as was feeding them with import surplus 5.45X39 (it was cheaper then 7.62X39 at the time) but drying up. That killed my intent to buy one even though they were selling @> $450.. I don't know if they come in other calibers now.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The originals were designed as improvements over the other Soviet Bloc versions. Milled receiver and different internals, bolt hold open.
    Mag compatability was a issue as was feeding them with import surplus 5.45X39 (it was cheaper then 7.62X39 at the time) but drying up. That killed my intent to buy one even though they were selling @> $450.. I don't know if they come in other calibers now.

Don't think they made them in 5.45. If they did, I completely missed that. Czechpoint has some 5.56 models though.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased one of the $399 package deals a few years ago. Lighter than the AK and runs just fine. I keep it around just so I have a weapon that shoots that round. Sold the AK and pocketed the difference. I wouldn't trade my AR for one. I'd like to have one of the higher quality versions some day.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I originally had the folder, just put a fixed stock on it and tried it again today, everyone who shot it both ways seemed to like it better with the fixed stock. Easier to sight and hit with that way.
    ps: I don't think I have ever owned a semi auto that did not get hot over a 30 rd. mag dump ??

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got two 2008's, both by Century. One fixed stock and one folder. They run terrific. If my memory serves, the builds on these were contracted out, not done in house by Century. I generally don't interrupt any poo-poo talk cuz it just leaves more for me! I've ran plenty of AK's, but ever time I think I like one I pick up the VZ and it's over. My fixed stock is easier to shoot fast but you can't beat the folder for portability. The folding stock with a paracord wrap is way more comfortable than it looks. The short stroke piston system is simple and definitely speeds up the recoil impulse compared to AK. It's comparable to a Bennelli recoil shotgun system vs Beretta gas. The system also has a linear hammer which makes the receiver smaller. But means you to have to run the trigger like a striker fired pistol, including reset. They run well constructed aluminum mags which are still available through century for $16 last I checked.

My fixed stock has a NEA railed top forend cover with an RMR. My folder has a Bonesteel top cover but I mostly run it with irons.

My advice is, if you love your AK, be happy. If you're new to 7.62x39, don't pass an opportunity to try one whether it be vz2008 or Checkpoint.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A VZ58 is on my very lengthy WTB list. I just never see them out in the wild or for sale.

Ridgerunner, I agree that any semi auto would get hot after a mag dump. My buddy just said it got abnormally hot compared to other rifles. I've never shot one so I have no first hand experience. Just passing along his experience is all.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A VZ58 is on my very lengthy WTB list. I just never see them out in the wild or for sale.

Ridgerunner, I agree that any semi auto would get hot after a mag dump. My buddy just said it got abnormally hot compared to other rifles. I've never shot one so I have no first hand experience. Just passing along his experience is all.

They're are a couple of models in stock at czechpoint

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    WOW They have really gone up in price, I'm liking mine even better now.

The czechpoints have always been more. Think arsenal vs century. Their pricing has been fairly consistent over the last few years. I got a pistol awhile back and fit and finish was well above the few century versions I'd seen. If you've got a century that shoots though, they sold them for a heck of a deal.

wags68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just bought a csa/czechpoint vz58 and this rifle is AWESOME! Shoots circles around my AK. Fit and finish are excellent!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never fired a VZ58 and have never heard anything negative about the design. Mags are not as plentiful and probably spare parts are harder to find for it. I am an AK person that has decided to try the AR in 6.5 g. Aftermarket everything up the flagpole so to say for the ARs. A decent quality made AK will cost the same as a decent AR now days. The 6.5 g cartridge when fired in an alexander arms upper will shoot better than I can. Less felt recoil for someone with aging and back problems; I will start to shy away from the ex-combloc guns. Eventually i may sell them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom