• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any 22 hornet fans here ? I've been a hornet guy for a lot of years . The hornet has more energy at 200 yards than a 22 magnum has at the muzzle . I have a few ,my favorite a the moment is a CZ 527 followed by a model 43 winchester and a L46 sako. One of the reasons I like the hornet is that it's so much quieter than the other center fire 22s most folks think you are shooting a 22 rimfire. That tends to be less upsetting to the none shooting folks that live around you. So what brand of hornet do you shoot?

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad is a big hornet guy. A couple christmas' ago I bought him a ruger model 77 in 22 hornet. Laminant/stainless. He loves it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Never owned a 22Hornet. Hunted with a couple of guys that used them to great success.
    A guy brought one as a backup gun on a prairie dog shoot some years ago and ended up using it much more than his primary chambered in 25-06.
    A guy at my club uses one in silhouette competition. It is a 14" T/C Contender.
    For me, I believe that I would rather have a varmint weight bbl'ed gun chambered in 222Rem. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    222 is a fine round I just like hornet for it's reduced sound foot print. I can shoot it in more places with out upsetting folks that live near by.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My Grandpa had a 22 Hornet but when he died back in 65 my uncle got all the guns. I wasn't but 7 going on 8 so I had no say in who got what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sweet round but , pun intended at 50 cents a round "Not enough Bang for your Buck" and I bet reloading them is not fun. BUT if ammo was about the same as .22 mag or .17HMR I would have a couple of them.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reloading them isn't to bad, and at 6 to 7 hundred rounds to a pound of powder they are cheap to load. Case life is a little on the short side I usually get 5 to 6 loadings on a case. I think the reason is because it head spaces on the rim. When one is converted to a K hornet the case life will just about double. That in my opinion is because it then head spaces on the shoulder instead of the rim.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I picked up a beautiful old Savage 23d deluxe a few years ago. The factory receiver sight caught my eye from the used gun rack. It was purchased as a hobby gun for the challenge of loading the hornet.......which sad to say I have dabbled here and there, not settling on a particular load. I have 40/45 grain sierras and Lil' Gun. Need to pull it out of the back of the safe and get back to work.

garryj

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Years ago I had a Taurus Raging Hornet 8 shot with, I believe, a 10" barrel. Very accurate out to 100 yards and fun as all get out to shoot. It's no harder to reload than 223. The fine ball powder I used(H110 or W296)was kind of hard to work with though. Traded an Inland M1 Carbine for it and turned around and sold it about a year later. Now I wish I had them both back.

Garry

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a new hornet today, a browning micro hunter. It's as new in the box . I've been looking at it for a while but didn't won't to pay what the gentleman wanted for it. I ran in to him at lunch today and he ask if I was still interested in it. Well of course I was , we settled on a price and I have a new toy.

Last edited:

DieselT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love the 22 hornet round so much that I start reloading for it , it’s very easy to reload
    Way more powerful than 22 wmr, quiet no recoil but at 100-150 yards still rings the gongs pretty hard. I chrono my loads today
    With Hornady 40g vmax 2611 fps with h110 2550 average but still not close to max load ,also I like it cause unlike the 22wmr or 17hmr you can reload it

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Grandpa had a 22 Hornet but when he died back in 65 my uncle got all the guns. I wasn't but 7 going on 8 so I had no say in who got what.

Now that it's been awhile, ask that Uncle if you could have it because of fond memories of Grandpa.
    I ended up with my Grandpa's Marlin 336 that way :)

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Now that it's been awhile, ask that Uncle if you could have it because of fond memories of Grandpa.
    I ended up with my Grandpa's Marlin 336 that way :)

My uncle gave his only son the guns and all his fishing gear which my cousin let rust. Before he died he split the old homestead and gave me first choice of which parcel I wanted. I bought my cousin’s share and let my sister give me half of hers in lieu of cash for my half of our Moms estate.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody shooting a K hornet ?

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 221 Fireball is worth taking a look at, but mainly only available through a custom chamber. I chose the Fireball over the Hornet because of brass availability.
    Lapua started making brass for it and it carries a few hundred fps over the hornet with only a grain or two more powder.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to admit, I’ve never tried 221 in a rifle length barrel. But I have 3 222 Remington rifles and they are all very accurate.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not poo-pooing any of the above mentioned chamberings . . BUT . . couldn't you accomplish the same thing,alot cheeper,with a downloaded 223/5.56 ??? --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not poo-pooing any of the above mentioned chamberings . . BUT . . couldn't you accomplish the same thing,alot cheeper,with a downloaded 223/5.56 ??? --- SAWMAN

With out a doubt you could , but it still wouldn’t be a Hornet. Folks tend to have a favorite caliber and or type of rifle , in my case it’s a small bolt action 22 hornet.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Understood. Sometimes there is just something about a certain gun.
    There are guys at my club that shoot them little 224's at my club for the silhouette matches.The Donaldson Wask,K-Hornet,Bee,222Rem,etc.
    Them little guys will really pop a steel target at the 100yd line.--- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Top Bottom