• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HQH2O

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought of posting this in Gunsmithing but hoped this community would have more specific insight.

First off- this is my first pistol, and I've put fewer than 200 rounds through it. I pulled a very boneheaded move while familiarizing myself with my pistol tonight. In disassembling my 17 Gen 4, I put the slide back on without the barrel or recoil spring. I had a very interesting time getting the slide back off, and once it was free I inspected it for any kind of damage. What I noticed is that the firing pin now has the slightest amount of play in it, whereas when I bought it there was none. It moves perhaps a millimeter or two, but I'm very concerned that I've compromised the integrity of the firing pin. I even looked over the spacer sleeve and it seemed fine.

This forum came highly recommended to me, and I'd very greatly appreciate some experience or knowledge before I go running to a gunsmith over nothing.

EDIT: Thank you all for your advice and input. I followed Glock31c's suggestion and put 100+ rounds through it yesterday with no problem.

Last edited:

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Put it back together take it and shoot the crap out of it. If no failure don't worry bout it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's fine, as a side note if you happen to do it again somehow the easiest way to get it apart is to put the slide all the way to the rear and remove the back plate allowing you to remove the striker and the slide will come right.off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Don't feel bad, I've done the same thing more than once with different Glocks I've had and It never had any affect mechanically with the firearm.

HQH2O

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your in Pensacola and want an armorer to look at it, contact me and I'll do it for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I edited my post to include that I put a bunch of rounds through it and it seems fine. I do happen to be in Pensacola.. Do you do sights as well? I'm looking to buy a pair of those in the near future.

HQH2O

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I have a sight pusher. I am not a shop however. But I'll install sights or other parts for tips lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha I follow. Gonna do some homework on sights and decide what best fits my needs.

Top Bottom