• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    why do you kill them? do you eat them? sorta like possum on the half shell
    Most kill them over issues of their gardens being destroyed. Armadillos dig up gardens looking for small critters to eat.
    Diet and predation
    They are prolific diggers. Many species use their sharp claws to dig for food, such as grubs, and to dig dens. The nine-banded armadillo prefers to build burrows in moist soil near the creeks, streams, and arroyos around which it lives and feeds. The diets of different armadillo species vary, but consist mainly of insects, grubs, and other invertebrates. Wiki

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Most kill them over issues of their gardens being destroyed. Armadillos dig up gardens looking for small critters to eat.

Well I get them all the time in my yard, I sic the dog on them, she alerts me and I calmly herd them out of the yard into the wild ( it is pretty funny to watch)or into a cage and take to release elsewhere. I know they make a mess in the yard so I have pretty much armadillo proofed the yard except for the most industrious ones.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    why do you kill them? do you eat them? sorta like possum on the half shell

I do not eat them (I do not eat the coyotes or rats I kill either). One Florida study I read found 58% of the dillos sampled had the bacteria that causes leprosy, so I don't even handle them without gloves, preferably put a shovel under the body and carry it that way. Admittedly, leprosy can be cured with modern antibiotics, but why go through that? They dig up the yard and they dig burrow holes that I, my grandkids, and goats could step in and cause injury. I've only sprained my ankle luckily and not conked my head on any trees when I've fallen. There are (were, after going after them for years) a lot of dillos where I live.

Here's one link (of many) on the subject: https://naturalsociety.com/armadillos-spreading-leprosy-in-florida/. I've never had my yard torn up that bad as in the accompanying photo.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK, I was certainly not trying to say you should not shoot them on your property but I sorta like the little fellas and only kill them after all else has failed but that is me and not your situation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I was certainly not trying to say you should not shoot them on your property but I sorta like the little fellas and only kill them after all else has failed but that is me and not your situation.

With dogs they tend to stay away. Coyotes apparently also prey on them. I like them also, but then I like squirrel, but kill everyone that I can.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    When I first moved here, FWC issued me a "gun and light permit" so I could shoot them at night. What a pain that was...you had to call a toll free number before you shot, letting them know the nearest intersection to your house in case someone heard the shooting. The permit only allowed .22 rimfire. As a suppressor owner and no close neighbors, no one was gonna hear to complain anyway. Later I did visit every neighbor in 360 degrees to let them know I might be out at night and why in case they heard me. They didn't care and gave me permission to shoot dillos and coyotes on their property if the direction was safe to do so. By that time, the gun and light permit requirements were greatly eased by FWC.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I first moved here, FWC issued me a "gun and light permit" so I could shoot them at night. What a pain that was...you had to call a toll free number before you shot, letting them know the nearest intersection to your house in case someone heard the shooting. The permit only allowed .22 rimfire. As a suppressor owner and no close neighbors, no one was gonna hear to complain anyway. Later I did visit every neighbor in 360 degrees to let them know I might be out at night and why in case they heard me. They didn't care and gave me permission to shoot dillos and coyotes on their property if the direction was safe to do so. By that time, the gun and light permit requirements were greatly eased by FWC.
    If on your own or private property with permission I did not think you needed one for things like hogs and such.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If on your own or private property with permission I did not think you needed one for things like hogs and such.

That's mostly the way it is now (depends upon the animal...for a "game" animal such as deer, one still needs a permit), but earlier one needed a permit for a "gun and light" and the animal was specified and you were told what firearm one could use in some cases. I was at a mitigating wildlife damage seminar when the change was announced by the FWC officers present, doing away with gun and light permits for animals such as dillos, coyotes, hogs. Before that I even called FWC "what if a coyotes is attacking my goats at night?" I was told that I would need to call them before I could shoot and have a gun and light permit for coyotes IF shooting from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise; no permit needed if shooting during normal game shooting hours. There's the "Tallahassee" way and then there's the "country" way of protecting your possessions...S S S.

nhoj_yelbom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    if you need some help with hogs or any pest's, PM me

im rigged out with thermals, nvg and suppressors

need to get more hunting in!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    33rd armadillo a few minutes ago. This afternoon I notice many new holes in the yard, so I went out about 10 minutes ago to look around in the dark. Spotted him; shot him; case closed. 300 Blackout, suppressed, subsonic frangible bullet, thermal.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    34th dillo down. Been after this one for 3 nights. It was a fast mover, and I wasn't able to catch up with it the other 2 nights. Had to take a longish shot, about 50yd, but got it.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    [video]https://www.facebook.com/trisha.thomas.7965/videos/1935940323109751/[/video] Too cool,just for you

[video]https://youtu.be/rRemhAWavUE[/video]

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I just about gagged watching that video. In fact, I've now got to delay eating breakfast for a while. :puke:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    35th dillo down. Fresh kill if anyone wants to come get it for eating at your home....

Edited to add: no PM’s wanting it, so I am going to sleep now.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I know of a place,near by,that would give you $50 for it.
    Yeah,I know . . . but it would be a "feel good" for them. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom