• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I got my first one a few days ago. Noticed these weird wide shallow holes in my yard, asked my nearest neighbor what was making the holes, then seen him about dusk. Took him with 12 ga. #8 shot. My wife told me to be careful handling them as they carry leprosy??!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I got my first one a few days ago. Noticed these weird wide shallow holes in my yard, asked my nearest neighbor what was making the holes, then seen him about dusk. Took him with 12 ga. #8 shot. My wife told me to be careful handling them as they carry leprosy??!

I read there was a study done in Florida a few years ago and something like 58% of the armadillos tested had the bacteria that causes leprosy (fairly easy to treat with antibiotics). When I kill one, I only pick it up to dispose of wearing gloves. I then set that pair of gloves aside and don't use them for several days or a week or more...even better is to set the gloves out in the sun several days. The heat and UV rays kill bacteria germs.

PS Following my regimen of handling with gloves, I've never caught any disease. I carry them by the tail, that way any blood also doesn't get on my gloves.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I hear you can get rid of Dillos permanent like buy pouring straight Pine Sol down their tunnel. Their nose is really sensitive and they hate the stuff. I'm gonna give it a try.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    1) You have to find the burrow.

2) What prevents the dillo from digging another burrow?

I've only found 2 burrows on my 3 1/2 acres in 10 years.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Excellent point sir. I am out at all hours trying to get him and getting frustrated cause he is never out when I am lol (0200, 0400, 0430, 0600, etc.). The burrow hole is large and is on the North side of my property right at the fence between my place and one of the cotton fields I have as neighbors.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    29th dillo just killed. Was looking over the property when I noticed several goats staring in one direction, out into the pasture. Something was in the pasture, but I couldn't ID from my distance. When in the house and loaded the thermal equipped Ruger American Ranch Blackout. By the time I got back out, the goats were looking in another direction. I followed their gaze with the thermal and spotted an armadillo coming. Let it get closer and bam, my 29th dillo kill. Never did find/figure out what the thermal signature in the pasture was.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The armadillo is suppose dig up yellow jacket nests which is a good point. Possums are said to be immune to viper venom and eat water moccasins. It is squirrels that I have little use for. I shot one youngster this morning in fact over an ear of corn stuck on to an oak tree with that segmented quiet CCI. The armadillos, possums, and coons stay mostly on the outside of my fence line to due to my white english farm dogs.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    30th armadillo killed a few minutes ago. Ruger American Ranch Rifle, 300 Blackout, subsonic frangible M160 bullet, suppressed, FLIR thermal sight. Figured after the rain softening the soil one might be out.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    31st armadillo kill 10 minutes ago. Noticed torn up yard along side of driveway today so I went out on patrol a short time ago. Found one digging and got him. Frangible bullet subsonic 300 Blackout suppressed with thermal sight.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That was my hope years ago, but they keep coming. I don't know if I create a "void" that they naturally try to fill or are there just many of them around. This one was a "good" kill, no tracking or scanning needed, DRT. Was able to wait until it was not sideways so the bullet could go the whole length of the body...those normally drop where shot.

purple

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never kill what I won’t eat so my question is this, OP are you gonna eat that?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never kill what I won’t eat so my question is this, OP are you gonna eat that?
    I am sure Daezee will let you have some.
    Seriously there can be more than one valid reason for killing things. Armadillos are destructive to gardens and some are killed for that reason.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    purple lives up there in the land of that Bernie Sanders comedian and some overpriced ice cream (Ben and somebody) so his influences come from the intellectual types
    Up there when you walk into a Walmart you can smell the love and there are no "deplorables" to deal with.
    Great place Vermont !! --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I will not eat them nor handle them without gloves on. A Florida study a few years ago showed that 58% of the armadillos tested had the bacteria that causes leprosy. Kids and adults can twist their ankles in the holes they dig if not careful to avoid them. Leprosy is treatable with antibiotics, but who would want to take the chance?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    purple lives up there in the land of that Bernie Sanders comedian and some overpriced ice cream (Ben and somebody) so his influences come from the intellectual types
    Up there when you walk into a Walmart you can smell the love and there are no "deplorables" to deal with.
    Great place Vermont !! --- SAWMAN
    Vermont also does not have any armadillos up that way and if they did I am sure the locals would try to kill them the same way that we do. Fact is at one time Bernie Sanders while just representing Vermont did at times vote progun. When he vied for the presidency he took a more consistent anti-gun position
    Wiki
    Gun-related

In 1993, Sanders voted against the Brady Bill, which mandated federal background checks when buying guns and imposed a waiting period on firearm purchasers in the United States; the bill passed by a vote of 238–187.[86][87]

In 1994, Sanders voted in favor of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. Sanders said he voted for the bill "because it included the Violence Against Women Act and the ban on certain assault weapons". He was nevertheless extremely critical of the other parts of the bill.[88][89] Though he acknowledged that "clearly, there are some people in our society who are horribly violent, who are deeply sick and sociopathic, and clearly these people must be put behind bars in order to protect society from them", he maintained in his intervention before the House that the government's ill-thought policies played a large part in "dooming tens of millions of young people to a future of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence". In this same intervention, he argued that the repressive policies introduced by the bill were not addressing the causes of violence, stating that "we can create meaningful jobs, rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails".[90]

In 2005, he voted for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.[91] The act's purpose was to prevent firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable for negligence when crimes have been committed with their products.[92] As of 2016 Sanders has said that he has changed his position and would vote for legislation to defeat this bill.[93]

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will not eat them nor handle them without gloves on. A Florida study a few years ago showed that 58% of the armadillos tested had the bacteria that causes leprosy. Kids and adults can twist their ankles in the holes they dig if not careful to avoid them. Leprosy is treatable with antibiotics, but who would want to take the chance?

I have gotten to the point where I just will not handle just about any critter. Many can possibly carry disease. I think raccoons are about the worst with rabies and other diseases. I do not even like handling the traps with bare skin that they are caught in.
    4-legged critters of the forest are not your friends. Especially true if you have a garden or fruit trees.

Top Bottom