• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT0008.JPG

A neighbor has been having his ducks and chickens killed, so I put a camera in his chicken coop. Can't figure out yet how something could get inside, but here's a pic (I aimed the camera at the shelf where the last kill was found; those are nesting boxes underneath). The killing has slowed down, but not stopped, after he thoroughly stapled the chicken wire all the way around the coop. About 21 chickens and ducks killed so far. It is killing their egg business!

At this time the plan is 2 fold. 1) He has a catch alive trap. I figured maybe bait it with cat food. 2) I wait and watch through thermal some evenings from his back porch.

Attachments

• HUNT0008.JPG
      HUNT0008.JPG
      124.3 KB · Views: 273

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I've had great luck with peanut butter and dog food for bait in live traps.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not at all sure why they call them live traps, because nothing that gets in mine makes it out a live.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When i was the Animal Control Officer in the small town that we lived in,in Maine,I caught quite a few critters in my Hav-a-Heart trap.
    One thing that I learned very quickly is how pissed off a big boar coon can get when trapped. Be forewarned. When the trap door is opened(if they are still alive),they could possibly be thinking about other things besides simply running away. Things like tearing you up a little before their hasty retreat.
    I got so that I would tie a rope onto the cage and drop the whole thing in the river. After about half an hour,they are less threatening and easier to safely release that way. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I've caught a few nuisance animals over the past few years, and I put them down at first but eventually found a way to relocate them. I'm all good with shooting pests outside a cage, but killing a caged animal doesn't make me feel like any more of a man. However, I would if someone was going to eat it. I've never had one attack upon release, but then I'm not as ugly as sawman. Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The first time one came at me,I had the cage on the tailgate of my truck. I figured that when I opened one end of the trap he would simply jump off my tailgate and run.
    I had a thick pair of gloves on(luckily) and he latched on to one before he cleared the tailgate and actually pulled it off my hand and ran off with it.
    That's about the time that I started drown proofing them. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Any coons trapped will be dropped off at Sawman's house since he has the experience. Now that that's solved, onto the next problem.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We've all heard about alligator wrestling.
    Maybe Stan can give us a lesson in coon wrestling. Of course . . . with the added bonus of supper . . . IF he wins. --- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The first time one came at me,I had the cage on the tailgate of my truck. I figured that when I opened one end of the trap he would simply jump off my tailgate and run.
    I had a thick pair of gloves on(luckily) and he latched on to one before he cleared the tailgate and actually pulled it off my hand and ran off with it.
    That's about the time that I started drown proofing them. --- SAWMAN

water boarding a coon....that's racist..

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Any coons trapped will be dropped off at Sawman's house since he has the experience. Now that that's solved, onto the next problem.

only after someone rides in the back o the truck, poking the coon with a stick all the way to his house..
    then let Sawman open the door

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just FYI Dante relocating coons is against the law in Florida - trapping and killing in or out of the cage is not. I trap them off my feeders - used to give them a sporting chance and release them so my wife could shoot them with her Benelli after a 10 yd head head start but I found it cheaper and more effective to dispatch them with a .22lr in the cage and dump the carcass away from the feeder for the buzzards and coyotes. I do release possums that find their way in the trap as they only eat the corn on the ground and don't damage the feeder. Honey Buns are my bait of preference.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok Dante I agree you are correct but the requirement is pretty tough to comply with. Not too many folks would want a raccoon released on their property. Assume you have found or have the property to do the release on.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Right, I suppose so. Yeah, it's a bit of a drive, but oh well. Sometimes I feel like I drive for a living anyway. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Raccoons are basically a large rat with nasty teeth and a lot of hair. They can squeeze through a hole a lot smaller then their body looks, just a whole lot of hair there with sharp teeth and a pretty tiny body.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Today I looked in the direction the coon was facing and looking. There is a big enough gap between the roof of the coop and the building next to it for the coon to enter. Owner of the coop told to plug that long gap.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm starting to come around Sawman's way of thinking. I caught an opossum yesterday, and I wasn't able to run him out until the afternoon since I had to get the wife's SUV because the trunk in my sedan was too hot for transport. Well the animal had decided to secrete his own brand of perfume just prior, which made it so we had to ride all the way out there with the windows down in the heat and traffic. It ended up being an hour and a half round trip at 13mpg, in the heat. For a rat...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom