• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If anyone out there has the experience and tools to change out a AK74 receiver let me know. I rather keep it local than ship it off. I am tired of looking at the name waffen werks on a gun with such nice parts. Went with Morrissey. X Y marked and selector engraving and notches left blank which is awesome cause I can put in the correct markings. I have never built an AK so I would love to learn from someone that knows. Will to pay, just PM. Thanks AK fans.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi all just a quick note on an AK I own and you may want to consider picking up. As some know I own a AK63D which is a Century milled receiver built on Hungarian parts kits. In essence its kind of a franken gun in that Hungary never produced a milled underfolder so historically it is inaccurate for the country of origin. However besides the milled receiver, U.S. non chrome lined barrel and Tapco trigger, the rest of the parts are Hungarian. Granted with a U.S. receiver and barrel, and FCG, that is arguably half the fight right there. The carrier, bolt barrel components and folding stock are kinda trivial in the grand scheme of longevity, accuracy and reliability.
    I am no longer a fan of the underfolder type of AK but since I have this guys I figured I would put a little work on it to see if it would grow on me.

Pros: Century milled receiver is amazing. truly amazing and does not have the C39 graffiti on it. Nice finish with the dot type discreet Maker SN engravings. Original Hungarian wood looked great. Underfolding stock is very sturdy and finished nicely as well. Tapco trigger was good out of the box. 14x1LH threaded barrel with detent and spring in FSB.

Cons: Parts mismatched besides the bolt and carrier. No biggie since that is what matters most to me. Dust cover fit well but was ribbed with very sharp point near rear ejection so you had a good chance of opening up your hand if conducting an under rifle mag reload. Selector. The fit was GARBAGE!! It would sweep past the selector stop and dangle by the trigger, also would fly up past the top cover when placing the weapon on safe tripping the hammer, very unsafe. No amount of heat, hammering and reshaping could get it right.

So I know I am babbling on again but here are a couple of very easy things I have done to this rifle that in my opinion almost puts it up there with an Arsenal offering except for the Arsenal having a way better barrel and of course a few other things.

Replaced the ribbed non matching top cover with a Kvar milled non ribbed version.
    Replaced the stamped selector with a polish 1960 milled version. Fit like a glove.
    Installed a FCG pin retainer
    Performed a DIY trigger polish/optimization job. Action with polished hammer in conjunction with a milled receiver makes this AK like glass. Honestly smoother than an Arsenal. Installed a 74 style muzzle device to tame the kick a bit since I already do not enjoy shooting an underfolder too much I figured the break would help out.
    Installed an original Hungarian leather sling just for looks.
    Anyway guys, the milled version like mine is hard to or impossible to find for a reasonable price these days. I think maybe Century figured out they were killing their own c39 milled offering and a building the rest of the Hungarian kits on stamped receivers under the name AK63ds. If just a little elbow grease is all it takes to get the DS to the level the D is on it is totally worth the money right now and would recommend anyone who is interested to pick one up before they dry out. Classic still has them for $499 for the stamped version. Well, well worth it. I got well into 1.4k plus rounds so far and I dont know if its cause of the parts kits or what but there has been no deformation where it counts. A bit on the carrier tail but nothing crazy, Tapco hammers are known to be hard. Anyhow just figured I would share if anyone wants an under folder for $500 the ak63ds is more than worth it plus it is historically accurate for you purists.
    Just another bored Sunday, thanks guys, God bless.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After much sanding, fabricating, gluing, splicing, and fitting and a lot of spare time. Here is a milled stock fitted to a stamped receiver, using a metal ferrel to clean the lines and cut to fit under tang, for the bottom of the stock. Granted, it isn't the prettiest but never claimed to be a smith, or even a decent carpenter. It's custom, rock solid and not many like it. In my opinion the rear stock ferrel matches nicely with the handguard ferrel. Saw a picture of Mr Kalashnikov with something similar and thought it was cool.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
      IMG_1010.JPG
      497 KB · Views: 224
    • IMG_1011.JPG
      IMG_1011.JPG
      198.7 KB · Views: 215

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I agree with Woogie, nice job.

It's an AK, it needs some TLC to get parts to fit just right, and that's OK.
    Gives you an intimate knowledge of YOUR rifle and an appreciation for it, lumps, bumps and all.

Again, nice job man.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks fellas. For sure a labor of love. Really do enjoy working one these and problem solving.
    Seriously considering a toth tool kit, but parts kits are pretty expensive these days. If they were cheap like just a couple years ago I would have converted my garage by now and build just for fun. The cost to benefit just isn't there though. After the full tool set, plus 350-400 parts kits plus 60ish for a decent morrissey or nds reciever, rivets, misc, it would have to be something I really want. All I really am looking for is preban Chinese etc. which almost equals out when ya add it all up. Really hoping the flood gates open on parts kits again and then I'm gonna try my hand a building. Just a hobby I really enjoy.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very cool pistol Dan!! Looks like KAK shockwave pistol brace, folding? Krink components throughout, very sharp. Bet the milled action is like butter

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks Red!
    Arsenal SAM7K. I had Phil at Jay's remove the sling swivel and install a Stormworks folding AR style hinge a couple of years ago. I'll be switching the shockwave for an ACE Skeleton, with Uncle Sam's blessing someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The Chinese do make a good AK. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah but still really need a SAM7 Arsenal in my life someday. Something about milled receiver AKs are just cool to me.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yeah but still really need a SAM7 Arsenal in my life someday. Something about milled receiver AKs are just cool to me.

I do prefer AKs either thick walled or milled, they just have more of that solid feel I like in guns. The only issue with this one was a rattle in the top handguard that is common in krinks. 2 dots of jb weld and it's good to go.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well haters gonna hate but my Chinese Spiker was NIB with all original accessories. I have always said no matter what I will shoot and use every gun I own though I don't have that many.
    Well my NIB poly is new no more.only ran a few mags thru her. Flawless, accurate, and thought about stabbing something with the bayonet but let it be. Great little rifle.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just saw this thread. I'm definitely a big AK fan. As far as the range selection goes or a place to shoot I go to the range off of quintette called escambia river gun club. It's 140 for a year and you can go however much you want with your family. And if any of you guys want to come when I go it is only $10 for guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just saw this thread. I'm definitely a big AK fan. As far as the range selection goes or a place to shoot I go to the range off of quintette called escambia river gun club. It's 140 for a year and you can go however much you want with your family. And if any of you guys want to come when I go it is only $10 for guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hey Cstokes91, would love to go shooting with ya as a guest and check that place out. Let me know if you plan on it in the near future and if you don't mind a tag a long. Awesome man.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys so I was buyimg a couple of parts online and came across this clip on AK "nite sites" for 8 bucks or something I don't remember. Anyhow even though they are very cheap they clamp on tight and flip out of the way during daytime use. You can charge them with a flashlight and they will glow but only for a few minutes.
    Anyhow figured someone would think these are cool besides me. Ain't gonna win any marksmenship competitions with em but you prolly wouldn't with an AK anyway lol.
    Pics attached so you can see what they look like.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
      IMG_1110.JPG
      165.8 KB · Views: 200
    • IMG_1111.JPG
      IMG_1111.JPG
      25.5 KB · Views: 203
    • IMG_1113.JPG
      IMG_1113.JPG
      52.3 KB · Views: 192

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To shoot or not to shoot? As some of you know I just got myself a SGL AK unfixed NIB. I detailed stripped and lubed it up and yep this rifle appears to be I fired besides maybe the factory.

Finish is flashless 100%, just all around gorgeous brand new Russian AK. Debating to go shoot it. LOL who am I kidding, I am going to probably put 500rd thru the first sitting lol.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well just got back. Only was able to put 150rds down the pipe. No issues everything looked good on post range field strip
    Overall very happy with this SGL Russian AK. Wasn’t able to take it too far out but seemed to be pretty on at 25m. Cool cool.

Top Bottom