• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iwannagofish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking for a cheap or free Chevy 5.3L motor to dig into with my son.
    I want him to learn a little about engine maintenance and repair.
    If someone has one taking up space in the garage and would like to get rid of it, let me know.

Thanks!

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. Pardon me for saying so, but that seems a bit complicated of an engine to learn on? I think with the Active Fuel Management Technology, and Variable Valve Timing, at a minimum, you'd need an appropriate engine computer to get it to run well. LS series engines are also pretty highly prized for their power/weight ratio, so harder to find for cheap/free. I'd think for a novice to learn with, a good old fashioned Chevy 350 with a Holley bolted on top would be a better choice.

I am guessing that you must have some kind of end-recipient for this exact motor, for you have to chosen this path.

iwannagofish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are correct...He has the same motor in his truck. It's his first vehicle and it has high mileage. Figured he could learn while rebuilding an engine to replace his when it craps out.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fair enough. Best of luck, and I respect you undertaking this important role as a father. Having skills like this has saved me tens of thousands of dollars over my lifetime.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless he's running the hell out of it, even with high mileage, they're hard to kill. My 06 Silverado has 260,000 my son's 6.0 has 280,000 and my best friend's 5.3 has 310,000... My truck's lifters click for about 30 seconds after it's cranked in the morning, but it will run like the wind.

iwannagofish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless he's running the hell out of it, even with high mileage, they're hard to kill. My 06 Silverado has 260,000 my son's 6.0 has 280,000 and my best friend's 5.3 has 310,000... My truck's lifters click for about 30 seconds after it's cranked in the morning, but it will run like the wind.

His has a little over 228k on it. It has developed a tapping noise when started like you describe. The difference is it will come back after it has warmed up but only when idling. I plan on digging into soon.

Another issue is the oil pressure low alarm that plagues most of these trucks.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had GM 90s models V6 and V8 engines. Over 200K miles on them. Wound up using Mobil 1 20W-50. That quietened them down, kept the red light off at idle.

You don't need much oil pressure when idling. Need 30# or more when running.

Also, some models have a screen under the oil pressure sensor that plugs and gives faulty readings.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t33921_ds539247

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure how similar the 5.3 is to the LS1 but they are notorious for bad oil sending units, accessible by small hands at the rear of the intake.

They are also known for piston slap when first cranked up cold, but it eventually smooths out once operating temp is reached. This is Corvette info, not sure how it transfers to trucks.

Rick

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    His has a little over 228k on it. It has developed a tapping noise when started like you describe. The difference is it will come back after it has warmed up but only when idling. I plan on digging into soon.

Another issue is the oil pressure low alarm that plagues most of these trucks.

One thing I did that quieted that tick on startup was a can of seafoam in with the oil. I drove it for about 500 miles with that stuff in it, the dropped and changed the oil... no noise for about 15,000... then a retreat...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I love parents that do things like this with their kids, practical things they will need in the future real world. Be sure to start an accounting page, all parts, costs and time, add a separate checkbook for it and make him do the entries and balancing. Good luck!

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. Pardon me for saying so, but that seems a bit complicated of an engine to learn on? I think with the Active Fuel Management Technology, and Variable Valve Timing, at a minimum, you'd need an appropriate engine computer to get it to run well. LS series engines are also pretty highly prized for their power/weight ratio, so harder to find for cheap/free. I'd think for a novice to learn with, a good old fashioned Chevy 350 with a Holley bolted on top would be a better choice.

I am guessing that you must have some kind of end-recipient for this exact motor, for you have to chosen this path.

2007 and newer have the shitty AFM 5.3L, 1999-2006 don't have AFM technology and are good motors. The AFM engines are notorious for oil consumption and chewing up camshafts.

Top Bottom