• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulT58

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm interested in meeting up with some folks that share an interest in air guns, both target shooting and hunting. I'm also interested in learning more about tuning air guns, so I'm hoping there are some experienced Airgunners in the local area!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since I can't get to the range as often as I'd like I've become a backyard airgun target shooter. Not in Navarre but very close, mailing address is Gulf Breeze, I'm about 3 miles or so past Lowes. Don't know much about tuning but learning a little. Just rebuilt a Benjamin Trail NP with new gas ram and seals, have a Chinese B2(?) that I just bought a kit for, just have to make time to get to it.
    Try to shoot 4 or 5 times a week. Recently picked up an Avanti 853 10 meter entry level comp. gun. Can't believe the accuracy on that thing. 5 shots in 1 hole is not uncommon.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've shot 10m IU pistol, and IHMSA silhouette.

Have a 9 yr. grandson I'd like to start with 10m rifle.

I am in W. Pensacola.

John

PaulT58

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same here, mostly a back yard shooter. I'm in HBTS and have about 35 yards from my shooting bench to the target. I also enjoy shooting used CO2 cartridges I have hanging in the trees behind the house. Those become a real challenge when there is a breeze! I am just getting into PCP, but the majority of my air guns are break barrels with a couple CO2 rifles. I have a couple for sale in the Misc Section so I can fund a new PCP rifle!

PaulT58

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I am in W. Pensacola.

John

Where do you shoot? I'd like to be able to stretch-out beyond the current 35 yard limit I have in my back yard.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I am in W. Pensacola.

John

Pick up the 853 through the CMP for your grandson. Can't beat the price or the accuracy, it's small light and easy to cock. Was thinking of buying a much more expensive gun until I got that one. Wanted to try 10 meter shooting and figured lets start out cheap. For now I've decided to stick with that gun. If you can put them all in one hole with a gun barely over a hundred bucks why spend many times that amount for one that won't do any better...

Find them here:
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

They do say for 16 and up but I would have no problem starting a 9 year old with it. A little instruction and he should be able to handle it with no problem at all.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Air rifle silhouette is out to 45 m. Air pistol is out to 18 yards. I've only shot pistol. Don't have a setup for that now, or a set of targets and stands.

I shot 10m air pistol in the closed in area under my piling house. I'd have to modify it to have more than one lane.

My outdoor range is PRPC. Not far from ERGC. It is members only. Might be possible to approach the board about competitions there, but there would be requirements if they let it at all.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pick up the 853 through the CMP for your grandson. Can't beat the price or the accuracy, it's small light and easy to cock. Was thinking of buying a much more expensive gun until I got that one. Wanted to try 10 meter shooting and figured lets start out cheap. For now I've decided to stick with that gun. If you can put them all in one hole with a gun barely over a hundred bucks why spend many times that amount for one that won't do any better...

Find them here:
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

They do say for 16 and up but I would have no problem starting a 9 year old with it. A little instruction and he should be able to handle it with no problem at all.

It came within a few days of my ordering it.

Had to install the rear sight and drill out the sling keeper slightly to accept the swivel post.

Sighted it in my shop at 10m from the bench. Ragged 3-shot holes. Targets attached.

Very close to 0.05 in/click on the sights.

What a deal.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 170802-Avanti.jpg
      170802-Avanti.jpg
      241.4 KB · Views: 365

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It came within a few days of my ordering it.

Had to install the rear sight and drill out the sling keeper slightly to accept the swivel post.

Sighted it in my shop at 10m from the bench. Ragged 3-shot holes. Targets attached.

Very close to 0.05 in/click on the sights.

What a deal.

Thanks.

For such an inexpensive gun the accuracy is amazing. Here's one I shot yesterday:
    Target.jpg

Other than the top right bullseye (don't know what I did there...) they are not too bad considering I was hot as hell and being attacked by gnats and mosquito's while shooting. 3 shot group in each. Can't beat it for the price.

Was the rear sight they sent you brand new? Mine was but I heard of others who said it was not.

Make sure the felt wiper is lubed, I've heard of some that came dry. Add a few drops every thousand shots or so. Other than that not much to do with it. I haven't even had to adjust the sites once I got it lined up, even when I used a different weight pellet. Don't understand that, thought for sure would have to adjust elevation at least.

Seems to shoot good with any pellet but I've been using the RWS Diabolo basic (green tin) or the Meisterkuglen Profesional. Both work great and can be purchased very inexpensively at walmart online with ship to store option. They throw them on sale frequently. The Rws for around $4.50 per 500 and the Meisterkuglen for under $8 for 500.

Attachments

• Target.jpg
      Target.jpg
      726.5 KB · Views: 381

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine looked looked like a new sight. Also new sling.

My test targets were with RWS R-10 diablo pellets. I looked around and found I had a good supply of those, already, some in 100 packs. Others in rusty tins.

I bought Gamo airgun oil at the Gander Mountain closeout for it.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That counts. They are fun to shoot if you can acquire the mindset of permitting yourself to get mesmerized by the sights and trying to get the trigger to break without disturbing them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a break bbl,single stroke springer gun in .177. I have shot air powered guns in the past and seem to have no problem with them. BUT . . . a springer is completely different. Mounting the gun,holding the gun,and trigger follow through is different from everything that you have learned about firearms.
    It took me quite a bit of practice to get even decent groups with it. After about 500 shots or so,i'm still not very good with it. I seem to always forget something . . . until after the shot.
    The gun is used for backyard tree rats,so for that(and my shooting ability) it'll do. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Springers are completely different than any other type of gun that I know of. Seems like one of the biggest things is finding pellets your particular gun likes. Then you have to learn how your gun likes to be held. One that I have took many different brands until I got one it liked. Once I found the right pellets and shot a few thousand through it I finally got to the point where I was able to shoot 3 shot groups in 1 ragged or cloverleafed hole about 50-60% of the time. Still occasionally get one though where 2 shots go together and the next is an inch or more away. Just something about break barrels I guess. Don't have those problems with pneumatic or co2 guns. The single stroke pneumatic 853 never does that, shoots anything and if I do my part they all go in the same hole!

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Im in Pensacola

I'm interested in meeting up with some folks that share an interest in air guns, both target shooting and hunting. I'm also interested in learning more about tuning air guns, so I'm hoping there are some experienced Airgunners in the local area![/QUO

Hello Paul,

I'm in Pensacola.

Dale

Top Bottom