• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've powner coated some 45 acp successfully. And now loading up some 9mm.

Attachments

• 2017-07-08 20.58.47.jpg
      2017-07-08 20.58.47.jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 216

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The positive for me. I cast my own bulet's but don't own a luber. I tried various forms of tumble lubing but hated the stickiness and smell. I powder coat just shaking the bullets in an old whip creme container and baking them. The bullets so far in the 45 acp have no leading issues. I've yet to shoot the 9 mm.
    I can't say it's fun...but it's enjoyable!

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I still powder coat off and on, the latest being for 300BO. The benefits of PC is that you can drive lead at jacket velocities with no leading.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For the above reasons,would moly coating be easier and more effective than powder coating ?? --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The moly coating of bullets that I do is using a viberator type tumbler ONLY. (Impact plated)
    It has steel shot it it that is about 2/3rds the size of a BB. Put bullets in with a small screwdriver blade heaped with moly powder. Four hours later the bullets are black. I have done jacketed,plated,and hard lead in this manner . . . never tried soft (sinker)lead though. --- SAWMAN

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do powder coating similar to the moly. I haven't baked over 200 bullets at a time yet. Maybe powder coated 800 rounds so far. Instead of the steel bb's I put the black air soft bb's in the cool whip container. Shaking it up makes static electricity (so I'm told). The static electricity makes the powder stick to to bullet. I tried it without the bb's and it didn't work to good. It also doesn't work in high humidity.
    I have to do it in an air conditioned room. I'm in the learning process but it's very enjoyable.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do powder coating similar to the moly. I haven't baked over 200 bullets at a time yet. Maybe powder coated 800 rounds so far. Instead of the steel bb's I put the black air soft bb's in the cool whip container. Shaking it up makes static electricity (so I'm told). The static electricity makes the powder stick to to bullet. I tried it without the bb's and it didn't work to good. It also doesn't work in high humidity.
    I have to do it in an air conditioned room. I'm in the learning process but it's very enjoyable.

I have heard, but have not tested, that shaking in PVC pipe generates a lot more static and provides a better coating. It is on my list of things to try soon.

freedom1965

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I put the clean/sized cast bullets in an old Metemucil plastic jug, (about the size of a 3 inch pvc pipe) add powder and air soft bb's, put the jug on my harbor freight rock tumbler/ brass cleaner, flip the switch and walk away. I put rubber bands around the jug for traction on the tumbler. Saves on the arms, works great. I dump the whole thing into a larger sorting bowl, put on rubber gloves and stack them on the tray for baking. 20 minutes in my easy bake oven and bam! Load up another batch and just keep rockin and Rollin. Who said men can't multitask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's a great idea!!! I bet after being shook up in the metamucil jug those bullets just slide right out the barrel:whistle:

wr4611

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive tried powder-coating for my 458 SOCOM. works great, no smoke, no leading and gun shoots great. Going to use it for all my pistol calibers going forward. Just lubed, SOCOM had terrible leading and accuracy issues. Fixed all that with the powder-coating.

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thas good. The PC seems to be an easy solution to the leading issue. I watched a video of a guy just pouring his bullets on a pan and baking them. I don't know how it works out, if mine are touching they get baked together. I have to stand each one up.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I do the shake n bake powder coating of my boolits. Use the HF powder coat, red. Works out pretty good, you need to have patience as this method usually requires 2x coating for full coverage...

Top Bottom