Target Sports

Post Your ideas for Killing and Keeping Wasps OUT of Shooting Houses!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A couple of weeks Anthony got stung by a Wasp for the first time checking out a shooting house at a new property. It made me think, how does everyone go about ridding shooting houses of Wasps and keeping them out??? It would be nice to work on shooting houses outside of the hunting season but it's almost impossible to do when the weather is warmer and those little bastards are active. Share you secrets gentlemen, with enough good information maybe we can make it a sticky!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I keep mine sprsyed with the el-cheapo Black Flag. Most any bug spray will work if it has a heavy smell to it.
    Spray the walls and floor heavy. Better still if you have carpet inside. Spray it heavily.
    It keeps them out of my houses for about 6-8 weeks,then I reapply. --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There's a similar thread over at the PFF and one of the suggestions there was to place a 7" x 7" board in one of the corners of the shooting house with a gap of about 3.5" between the board and the ceiling. Supposedly wrens and finches will nest there and they feed on the Wasps and feed their larvae to their babies. I think I'm going to give that a try and see what happens. I'll place one of my cameras aimed at it and see what decides to nest there just to be safe!

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Spam and garlic oil mixed with cider vinegar and mayonnaise with some burnt fried eggs and orange juice mixed in a blender, strained through cheese cloth and add a pint of deisel and put in a garden sprayer. Spray the walls, floors, doors windows, your boots and the roof.
    Its supposed to repel the wasps, but Ive proven it repels those pesky deer and hogs. Oh, recommended to use a mask during and after application.
    Also, wasp spray. They sell it in spray cans but its hard to light.
    Hope this helps.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Napalm, flame thrower, mortar rounds, or call in an AC-130.
    I hate wasps!

Just always make sure you have a can of wasp spray when going to stands in the warm months.
    the bird nest idea does sound pretty interesting, though.
    Let us know if that works out!

jdrph270

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sneak in at night.. find the nest and blast em with petroleum-based wasp killer..problem solved

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You could always burn a doobie. They'll be high and too paranoid thinking you were going to spray them that they'd leave you alone. :smokin:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So nobody has any ideas for keeping them out of the shooting houses all year long other than the bird nest option? I'm trying to make it so I can work on building or repairing a shooting house when it's still warm out. Right now it's avoid them in the warm months and load up on wasp spray every fall to clear them out & then do what little work you can before deer season starts. Seems every year it stays warmer even later in the fall reducing the time you have to prep the stands after evicting the wasps.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any new stands I build I will be trying the sky blue painting trick and see if that works. I'll be painting the inside of the stand sky blue and the underside of it the same color.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    What is the matter with the wasp spray , it it just too simple of a fix? It will work. personally I wouldn't want a bird nest in there either.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Time to bring this one back to the top. So this past Saturday I had the pleasure of killing hundreds of Wasps. It seems they really like to get under tarps put over storage sheds to keep them dry until the metal roof can be put on it. They gather on the wood under the tarp and give you quite the surprise when you go to pull the tarp off to go into the storage shed. Luckily it was cool enough that only a few of them were warm enough to fly before I covered them in Wasp spray. What surprised me is the Spectracide Wasp spray I was using didn't kill them immediately. In fact some flew away after I know they came in contact with the spray so I think it's time to try a different brand of spray. I also found them in the ridge grooves between the metal roofing and 1x6" boards I had put down recently on a stand. I'll be filling those ridge groove openings with the expanding foam and painting the underside of the roof sky blue. I don't think that's going to keep them out but I have the paint already so I'll be proving it one way or the other!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I built a shooting house about 10+ years ago. It is still in very good shape and has never, never had wasps in it as built. Bees have got in it, but no nests, only because some idiot either did not close the door properly, or left a window slightly ajar after the season ended. I would be willing to take you to it to see how I constructed it if you want. Of course the main thing is your windows and the door, sealing them properly (tight fitting) to keep the bees out, but still able to open them. I made the windows with plexiglass sandwiched between 2x4 with cut channels. The 2x4 door is framed with a slight taper. The door entrance wall is also 2x4 framed. A 2x4 (about 4' L) is used as a bar on the outside to keep the door closed flush. Has a metal roof on top of the 1/2" wood roof. Carpeted floor and sealed all wall to 2x4's with sealing caulk.
    I'd built another just like it, had berber carpet wall to wall, floor and ceiling. Super quit. But then the idiots decided they wanted plexiglass windows that flipped outward, and never used the door bar. It is constantly full of wasps every year. I got in it 1-day, and was heating it up with a small propane heater. I started hearing scratching/digging noises behind the wall carpet that said idiots decided to pull some of it off the walls. Why? Who knows? Anyway, I looked behind the carpet and there had to been 100's of the yellow jackets, ginny wasps, and the big red wasps. I killed the heat, and jumped out of the stand, But, there's always an idiot that has a better idea. g/l

Top Bottom