• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Was at the Outpost Gun Shop today in Marianna FL today and got to hold the Remington Shorty and I got to say I like the Mossberg way better.

My experience has been just the opposite. I actually purchased the Mossberg Shockwave and did not like it at all. I sold the Mossberg and bought the Remington TAC14 and I like it much better. I much prefer the location of the Remington's safety over the location of the Mossberg's safety. To me the Remington is a much more refined and smoother gun to shoot. I found the Mossberg to be a literal pain to shoot. The Remington is a pleasure to shoot.
    Having actually owned both, I prefer the Remington over the Mossberg. I know most of the reviews prefer the Mossberg, but I'll take the Remington any day. Just my two cents worth in a twenty-five cent world. :)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I consider my Mossberg the Wilson Combat pistol of the shotgun world. The more it was shot,or in the least,stroked,the better(much better)it got.
    I worked the action 500+ times before I even shot it once. Then I shot about 60rds of light target 2.75" shells thru it.
    After the range session,while it was apart,I smoothed and buffed the actions internals. Also while apart I had a chance to lube it correctly(IMO).Then worked the action along with firing the action another couple hundred times or so.
    Now the gun has another 40 rds thru it with the mini shells and about 30rds of the 2.75" light loads. It is quite a bit smoother and the action does not seem to gain resistance just after the bolt starts to move rearward.
    With these small guns, stand in front of a mirror and bring it up to target then work the action. There is not much to hold onto like a gun with a full buttstock. NO PART of these little guns is supported by your body. Just your two hands. You tend to push the gun together to open the action,then pull it apart to close the action. It makes it feel somewhat awkward and not smooth.
    Also while in front of the mirror,watch how you naturally lean the gun sideways. It is actually hard to keep it upright without a buttstock. Practice how you will bring this gun to target and most importantly how and where to aim when firing.
    With this gun canted and held out away from your body it is actually easy to miss your COM target at the closer ranges. (7yds) Practice,practice,practice. ---- SAWMAN

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think what made me not like the Remington is that gaudy magpul foregrip. It seem to over power the gun. I like the sleek look and feel of the Mossberg foregrip.

That's just me though. If the had a Mossberg 12 Guage in stock I would have bought it.

I always stop in to say hi to the owner Eddie but he is never there...

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Ken, It's that MagPul fore grip that I like better than the one on the Mossberg. Different strokes lol. Plus, the location on the safety is what Really makes me like the Remington. That safety on the Mossberg will tear up the fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger. Both are good guns though.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have quite a few rds thru my Moss now and never been touched by the safety. I installed an extra high aftermarket safety also.
    Like that expensive Hong Kong hooker . . . ya gotta hold on tight. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170715_120821.jpg
      20170715_120821.jpg
      656.1 KB · Views: 321

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What is everyone's opinions now? I have been wanting a Shockwave for a while. I think I would rather get the 12 since they don't make mini shells in 20 gauge. Have you worn yours out from racking it yet Sawman?

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and my decision at the moment is do I buy a Shockwave or a police trade in Glock 21? I can get either right now for $300

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I now have quite a few rds thru my Shockwave. I have shot quite a few full power buckshot load thru it just to use up a bunch of cop ammo (Federal 9 pellet loads) that was given to me.
    Overall assessment - - -> The 3" buck is a real wrist twister. Uncomfortable to shoot and quite the "flinch factor". (The laws of deminishing returns comes into play here.
    The 2.75" . . 9 pellet load is much more manageable. The "problem" with any 2.75 or 3" load is also the deminished mag cap of the gun. With the OpSol installed and loading the Aguilla Mini Shells,my gun will hold 10 shots. ( I'll tell you how to do it for $100.)
    The Mini Shells are completely manageable. Waaaay under the recoil impulse of even a 20ga. ( This is why you should choose the 12 over the 20) The OpSol is completely reliable. It has never fallen out or moved in almost 140rds of both buck and bird.
    Good and bad . . but really no big deal. - - -> With the OpSol installed you cannot load 2.75" shells. But it goes in and comes out very quickly,without any tools.
    I noticed at Academy last week that they had Aguilla Mini Shells both buck and bird. BUT . . . the price was $19. I got mine sometime ago at Gander Outdoors for a $14 and change.
    I really wish that there were more shot loads available. The buck load throws too tight of pattern even from the 14" bbl. But after all,it is still a cyl bore. Just a short one.
    My choice for a defense load at 15-20yds would be something like #2 shot or even the old "BB" sized pellets.
    I reccomend the Moss Shock 12ga. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Well John,consider yourself lucky that you don't own one. Now you will forever remain a "practical" person. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 558a551a2fe79d33e84f50ea5411db6d.jpg
      558a551a2fe79d33e84f50ea5411db6d.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 311
    Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I still see zero practical reason to own one of these things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't really either myself but I think it would be fun. I have AR pistols that cover the home defense basis much better considering how a shotgun does not spread much in home defense distances.

I also know people that buy jewelry or art or put aftermarket rims on vehicles. None of those really serve a practical purpose to me.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't own one yet, still debating it and letting used prices spur the decision and these are my considerations.

Since the 870P was one of my tools of the trade, that familiarity makes the choice simple for me: TAC14. On the other hand, if I was a Mossy guy I'd be hesitant to buy a Shockwave do to the grip top safety piranha that's always waiting to bite. Due consideration to it should be given as there is less gun weight and no shoulder stock to mitigate recoil. Stress or slight inattention can lead to a bite. I'm suprised the Mfr has not incorporated a speedbump behind it yet. Surely the aftermarket folks could produce a rubber sleeve for that purpose. To me, the safety bite issue is a larger negative than the extra shell is a positive. Plus 1 and +2 mag extentions are available for the Tac14 if desired starting @ $50+-.

Mini Shells are not reliable in the Tac14 but work fine in the Mossy when the adapter ($14) is installed. The mini's tame recoil but there is a tradeoff and you loose 4/5ths of the pellet payload (+-). You do get more individual shots to put the lower amount of projectiles on target(s). Let's not forget you still have to aim at and hit the target with less projectiles going down range. There is no doubt that more pellets are better, The question is: are less pellets enough? Thats a personal judgement based on your intended use.

If its primary use is to peg your fun meter, then the Mossy w/mini's is your ticket. Regular loads are going to put it in the .44 mag, .450 or .460 zone: its okay to run some thru it but not gonna do it all day either. When guns fall into the category that you prefer to watch you buddy get beat up firing it, do you really enjoy it? Maybe-Lol.

Options include models in 20ga, pistol grip/brace and detachable 6 shell mags (DM). I'm not a DM fan. I favor "load what you shoot" with tactical or combat reloading. You can easily top off the tube but not the Mag. If you don't carry spare shells: then the extra round (6 vs 5) in the Mossy matters. I also like the streamlined silhouette W/O the mag.

There are tactical scenarios where certain firearms are better suited for them than others. You must factor in how well you can actually employ that firearm for it to be suitable for your application to the scenario.

Top Bottom