• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hucklebucky

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am looking for a Automatic shotgun for duck hunting. Looking to spend $800-$1000. considering the Beretta a300 or Franchi Intensity. Looking for the pros and cons of both as well as other options. Never been duck hunting but I am looking forward to it. Come on experts and give me some good advice to consider. THANKS

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just started duck hunting last season. I bought an older, used Winchester SX2 for less than $400. It has been a great shotgun. Great for using 2-3/4" shells to shoot clays, but still handles 3-1/2" shells great.

Cootcommander

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't have any trigger time with either of those, but you can find a used SBE, maybe even a used SBE II in that range. Duck hunting is ROUGH on a gun, water (saltwater here), humidity, cold/freezing, etc... the old SBE is a workhorse, in fact I shot one (it's my backup gun) most of the season last year in Arkansas because my Super Vinci froze up solid one time and started FTF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would second that reccomindation of the Benelli SBE. Couple things to remember also. The length of the bbl has nothing to do with how the choke performs. A shotguns velocity is obtained within the first 19-21 inches of bbl so the super long bbls really do nothing for you unless you feel that they give you a better (- - ->??) sight picture.
    For ducks the 3.5" shells are not needed. In fact,IMO the 3 inch are kinda a overkill. Especially if you are gonna load your own.
    Take into consideration how the ducks will be flying before you obtain your ammo. Especially the suspected range. Will you be strictly pass shooting or possibly jump shooting ?? Unfortunately you will have to use steel shot but consider using a modified choke.
    My Benelli will handle the lightest dove/quail loads all the way up to the hottest of my handloads. I suspect that all Benelli's will,however make sure before you buy. These guns are recoil/inertia operated and not gas. Genius or a shotgun build. --- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Whatever shotgun you go with, ensure it has the correct LOP (length of pull). Otherwise, your accuracy will be out the window even if you're doing your part, proper shooting stance, swing, trigger pull. If you've ever shot clay's, and just can't hit them regularly, and don't know why. And you're told it's because you're not leading enough. The problem may very well be the LOP is not correct for you. Without the proper LOP, when you shoulder the gun, whether your pointing, or aiming (if using a rifle), that point will be off causing a miss.
    It's probably in the same neighborhood of shooting with your non-dominate eye as far as accuracy. However, if you have the proper shooting stance, the correct LOP, and you're still missing the clay's, you need more Practice. Shouldering, the swing (leading), and trigger pull, should all be 2nd nature to you.
    Anyway, good luck on the ducks and your gun choice.

oyeme!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see where this is an older post but wanted to comment anyway, in case it may still be looked at.

I have used a TriStar 3 seasons in Stuttgart, AR on ducks without so much as a hiccup. On the other hand 2 Bennelis that were being used the last year became single shots due to sluggish operation. The average temperature while hunting was 10 degrees! The owners ran up to Mack's Prarrie Wings and had Sure Fire cycle kits put in for $150 or so, and they started working again.The older SBEs are o.k. (must maintain the return spring in buttstock properly) but there are sure a lot of people unhappy with how the new SBE3 shoots which is way high. Check out the link below. Good luck!

http://randywakeman.com/TheBenelliDisaster.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom