Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    RULE #1 of R/C helo's and drones...
    UNTIL YOU ARE GOOD AT CONTROLLING IT...
    attach some fishing line to it...release the spool and practice...a LOT.

Make sure the controller is set up properly &
    that you have FULL control before running without a line...
    and even then it's still a good idea to leave 20' or so on it,
    just in case you need to make a grab due to controller error.

My first one decided it had a mind of its own and it went UP...and UP...and UP...
    wind carried it southeast and into a fog bank...never saw it again.
    Searched for months afterwards...3 apartment complexes right together...
    should have landed somewhere, right?? Nawp...never seen again.

I'm not going to be attaching fishing line to it, but I will be setting up failsafe where all the motors will stop if I flip a switch on the radio or it loses signal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TennJeep1618; 02-13-2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: clarification
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

My YouTube Channel <--- Link

So I tried to build my first 5" quadcopter last weekend and it didn't go very well. I won the build kit in a raffle, but it turns out that its made more for experienced builders, as there is not much space inside the frame to fit everything. I got frustrated after a few hours of tinkering and ended up buying a used quad from a local pilot. I plan on finishing out the original build, but I'm going to wait on a few parts to arrive that will make it easier. I'll also be happier once I get the first one built, because I've got a gopro mount for it that will make the videos much higher quality over just the DVR footage from the goggles.

Until then, I can get some stick time in with the used quad. In fact, I was able to take it out on Sunday and fly a few packs. As fun as it was flying around an empty field, I found that I need to adjust a few of the settings and I need to have obstacles to better judge depth. A few times I felt like I was brushing the grass when I was likely at least 10ft off the deck, and other times I thought I was high enough to do a flip and ended up catching the ground and crashing. I'm hoping to hook up with some local pilots this coming weekend and actually try flying through gates.

I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

4. 2 Like TennJeep1618's Post:

I also bought this little quadcopter from the same guy that sold me the 5" quad.

This one is small enough to fly around the yard, although I need more practice and need to adjust a few of the settings to make it a little less twitchy. I felt like I was on the edge of control most of the time.

I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

6. Likes TennJeep1618's Post:

I found a good deal on a frame that has a lot more room inside, so I decided to use that for my first build. I had some problems with the flight controller, because some of the pads were mislabeled. Fortunately I didn't fry anything during that process. I finished the build on Saturday morning and took it out for it's maiden flight shortly thereafter. I tried out several different kinds of props over the course of the day before finally finding a kind I liked.

Anyway, here is a video of the testing, getting used to the quad, and practicing for my first race next weekend. I slapped the gopro on right before I started flying and forgot to change the settings from back when I was wearing as a hatcam while shooting. I've also got a new gopro on the way, so future footage should be better.

I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

I had my first FPV race this past Saturday. I had a couple good practice heats and two decent race heats. The first video is some good flight footage, the second video is a compilation of most of my crashes over the course of the day.

I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

Very cool. Do you feel yourself moving your body as your flying or do you stay pretty stationary?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by madeSICC88 View Post
    Very cool. Do you feel yourself moving your body as your flying or do you stay pretty stationary?

I feel like I stay pretty still while I'm flying, but I find myself ducking my head and leaning while watching my videos.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

Haha I imagine that I would be moving a lot when making turns and all that. I move a lot when using the Oculus VR stuff.