• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anything to this??? :rockon::usa:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/l/A3BEE...A0DDF4D016/Nk45Q/20161209_FridayDigest_99.htm

What Happens When Suppressors Are No Longer NFA Items?

by Jordan Michaels on December 4, 2016

Related Tags: Accessories, Buzz, Industry News, Silencer, Suppressors

The author found that the C.O.R.E. was equally at home in a CCW or a tactical role.
    The Smith & Wesson C.O.R.E. with the Burris FastFire3 optic and the GEMTECH GM-9 suppressor is James Bond ready! Read full review! (Photo: Clay Martin)

The process of buying a gun muffler — aka a “suppressor” or, more inaccurately, a “silencer” — is long, expensive, and complex. But that process might change drastically in the next few months as legislators and activists work to de-regulate the purchase and possessions of suppressors in the United States.

If that happens, gun owners can expect to see some drastic changes in the market.

The Hearing Protection Act (HPA) is currently making its way through the U.S. Congress. If it passes, suppressors will move from NFA Class III items to the same regulatory category as long rifles. Purchasers will still have to pass a background check, but they will no longer have to pay for a $200 tax stamp or wait six to nine months for the ATF to process their paperwork.

This got me thinking — what happens when President Trump signs the bill into law? What will happen to the suppressor industry and how will that affect gun owners?

To answer my questions I reached out to the American Suppressor Association and Owen Miller, their Director of Outreach.

Miller told me that the passage of the HPA will make suppressor sales rise exponentially. “The HPA will absolutely make the market explode,” he said. “I would expect that once the HPA passes you’ll see a spike in demand nearly overnight.”

He explained that removing the tax stamp requirement will automatically make suppressors cheaper, but that won’t be the primary driver of the market expansion. The real win for the suppressor industry will be the shortened wait time.

Right now if someone wants to purchase a suppressor, they have to pay for it up front and wait up to nine months before actually using it. Most people, Miller said, would rather purchase a firearm (or two) that they’re able to take them home the same day.

The ability to drive to a gun shop, purchase a suppressor, and take it to the range is what will really drive the rise in demand.

The most important question, of course, is whether or not de-regulating suppressors will make them cheaper. Unfortunately, Miller didn’t seem to think so. The initial rise in demand might actually make suppressors more expensive for the first 12-18 months until manufacturers are able to catch up.

That being said, Miller did concede that de-regulating suppressors will allow more players to enter the market. Increased competition will, over time, lead to a wider range in the quality of suppressors available. A good quality suppressor might still cost $800 post-HPA, but customers will also be able to purchase a lower-quality version from another manufacturer for less money.

This is all assuming Congress passes the Act.

DBCDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think if it happens at first lots of sales people buying because they can. Prices will stay high. After a while and the novelty wears off and people realize there are as many minuses as pluses interest will fade with prices.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FOR ME . . . . ---> I still doubt that I will purchase a sup.
    Reasons --> Cost . . I believe that the cost will stay right up there. Simply supply and demand. Everybody can have one so therefore everybody will want one. Plus,no waiting,soooooooo .... There is the demand.
    If I did get one it would be for a bolt gun or single shot. Most likely for one of my 300BLK's.Too damned dirty for my expensive AR's.
    And . . . ? . . . Have lived my life and gotten along great thus far without a sup,so why now.
    Think i'll pass but reserve the right to change my mind. ---SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think if it happens at first lots of sales people buying because they can. Prices will stay high. After a while and the novelty wears off and people realize there are as many minuses as pluses interest will fade with prices.

Agree with the high cost initially. People will buy anything and everything, supply will be low, keeping prices high. It'll take companies awhile to spool up and get more out there. As soon as it's not a "new" thing anymore and supply starts to meet demand, prices will come down a lot. I'd guess 30-40% off of what you're seeing now. That's just a WAG on my part.

The margin on suppressors is huge. Based on some of the dealer/Mil pricing I've seen, I'm guessing(again, WAG) the big guys can sell their wares at 70-80% of MSRP and still make money, especially on older models.

SAWMAN, that's some crotchety old man stuff right there. Which is fine because you're... well... you know. You didn't have the internet when you were growing up either.

Putting a metal tube on the end of your gun does come with some downsides but the plusses more than make up for those.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    After passage there will be many more people making them, so watch for quality then. I have been told it costs about $150 to make a $700 suppressor so while there is lots of room to move prices down the demand will be over the roof for 2-3 years till the catch up, then the prices will fall substantially...my .02

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a few and will buy a few more after the initial surge. I'd like one more .308 and a 9mm for my MP5. I'm not much into suppressors on pistols other than a .22.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You got to "THINK" positive, why won't pass, will cut down on a lot of hearing loss or selective hearing loss :rockon:

We got to keep this bill moving forward and we can get it done :rockon:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You got to "THINK" positive, why won't pass, will cut down on a lot of hearing loss or selective hearing loss :rockon:

We got to keep this bill moving forward and we can get it done :rockon:

Keep staying in your dream let us know when you wake up. LOL

Q2arrowhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I can say fir sure if it does pass I will be immediately getting a Surefire SOCOM300 (depending on $) or a Harvester. I have a Masterpiece Arms 308 Defender. It does a good job, but is a bit on the heavy side. I have it on a 300blk pistol build that I have side charged and the gas block all the way closed. Totally hearing safe.

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can say fir sure if it does pass I will be immediately getting a Surefire SOCOM300 (depending on $) or a Harvester. I have a Masterpiece Arms 308 Defender. It does a good job, but is a bit on the heavy side. I have it on a 300blk pistol build that I have side charged and the gas block all the way closed. Totally hearing safe.

I already have 7 conventional baffle suppressors... If this really happens and I'm not holding my breath. I will be buying a few of these...

https://osssuppressors.com/

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It would be fantastic if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I do think it would be smart to go ahead and get whatever you need to get now, since the back order could be as long or longer than stamp wait times are now. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would be fantastic if it happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I do think it would be smart to go ahead and get whatever you need to get now, since the back order could be as long or longer than stamp wait times are now. Just something to consider.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people will build their own. Results will vary. The challenge will be for applications that need a recoil booster.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok you all may blast me on what I am about to say but I am not totally for it being that easy to get a suppressor. I have used them enough in the past in the military to know what they do and are good for and what concerns me is if the availability of them became super easy, it could endanger the public and our first res-ponders in a mass shooting type scenario. Now don't get me wrong as a responsible gun enthusiast myself I would love to be able to walk into my LGS and come out with a suppressor of my choosing but I know that my use of it would be responsible. I have seen the confusion and carnage these things can do, especially in an urban environment. I think back to the targeting to police in Dallas which could have gone so much worse had the guy had a good suppressor setup and knew how to employ it. In those circumstances I think of this analogy, loud pipes on motorcycles save lives, loud guns in the hands of bad guys is a homing beacon for where the good guys need to go. I am bored, and those are just my thoughts on the subject, and yes i will most certainly buy a suppressor after the initial gouge in prices if this passes.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok you all may blast me......

No blast, Its nothing I've considered buying in civ Life. Like firearms they should ony be used lawfully. Criminals get guns and they can get suppressors too (right now). If there are more in circulation and the trust/individual security requirement goes away they could be stolen at a simular rate to firearms, its what thuggies do. No Law prevents a criminial or terrorist from doing what they are determined to do.

Suppressors (Sps) need the right ammo/gun to be 100% effective at their advertised (lol) db reduction and if not firearm cycling can also be a issue. Decibel reduction runs 14-40 db, average is approximately 30db. 22LR from a rifle is 130db (152db from a pistol). Lets take take away that 30db from the 22 rifle and call it 100db Sp and see what noise levels are close: passing diesel truck is 85, lawn mower 90, jackhammer 100. Db is not directly proportional to the numbers 100 db is eight times louder then 70db. A vacume cleaner is 70 db. So even if thugie gets the mix right with a 22 rifle: shots will still be very distinguishable. 22CB and 22 Shorts are in and of themselves quieter. The Dallas murderer didn't have a Sp but he was still very hard to locate: he moved around and the report echoed arould the buildings (UW 101).

Mass Shooting by definition is 4+ victims but I think your refering to the big headling grabbing events in public places not a family member that takes out his relatives. Every one of these mass shooting got called in by someone at the location, this would contine even with a Sp 22 making jackhammer equivalent noise. Even first responders going to a house draw their own attention and get shot without Sp now. Neighbors watch when LE pulls up. Sp may assist a shooter who fires once or twice but more then that its a trail. I don't see it as the gotta have accessory for a mass murderer. The stop and rob thuggies and muggers may desire them but its a big package to hide and nice big handle to grab/deflect.

Will more Sps be involved in crime if the Bill passes, sure. The only bad point you make is the unstated correlation to firearms: mostly legal but criminals use them too. and for the exact same reasons. We say regulate Sps like guns but gun grabbers say regulate guns like Sps (for many of the reasons you stated).

More money is stolen or scammed using computers and the Net than by armed robbery every day yet here we are still using them. Sps have potental to work both was too.

IMHO, Respectfully,
    WR

Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've yet to buy any suppressors but have interest in it. Who are some of the big names in Suppressor Companies?

Latest posts

Top Bottom