• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I currently shoot a 45 caliber muzzleloader using 2 pellets of Pyrodex RS or 777 and a powerbelt hollow point bullet. I was doing some reading on Hunting net.com and it had a pretty interesting article concerning muzzle velocity and bullet fragmentation. They recommended stepping down to about 80 grains of powder for those shots under 100 yards. Since I only have 50 grain pellets which would make a 100 grain load my question is, has anybody shot granulated powder using the 209 primer? Will the 209 be too hot for the granulated powder compared to the number 11 percussion cap?

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot granulated powder in my 50cal , with 209 primer an have no problem, should be ok, I also have a old Thompson Center senaca in 45 cal. An dropped my charge to 75-80 with good results, Denny in pace , good hunting !!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would suggest that unless you just want to decrease your load for some other reason,"bullet fragmentation" is not a valid reason to refuce the charge of powder.
    Can you shoot a Hornady XTP ?? How about any Barnes solid copper ?? This is just two examples of pistol bullets that I have shot thru my centerfire rifles at max load. They performed perfectly for me and should out of your M/L at similar velocities. And even FASTER. The example would be a Hornady 240gr XTP out of my 444Marlin at max vels. Killed quite a few of the bigger Maine deer with this combo.
    Stay with the 100gr load,especially using two pellets for the reduced PITA factor,added velocity,better trajectory,and a little extra terminal energy dump. ----SAWMAN
    Caution: I have quite a bit of expierance with the .50cal guns . . . . but none with the .45cal guns.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom