• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its that time of the year to boil your peanuts, I went over to Lowry's Farms today and got my annual 50 lbs. and here they are. IMG_1123.jpg If you don't like boiling them yourself he has some already boiled. Of coarse it take some help when I boil IMG_1120.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
      IMG_1123.jpg
      347.3 KB · Views: 650
    • IMG_1120.JPG
      IMG_1120.JPG
      633 KB · Views: 661

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you season them with? I have done them myself a couple times but have never got the flavor I really like. Always comes out too salty and not enough heat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is how I do it, and from several years of experimenting this has become how I do it each year. My pot is an 80 qt pot, first i put in a 4lb bag or box of ice cream salt. Then I start adding my water, ( hopefully most of the salt is melted) I bring the water to a boil, then add the peanuts. When they come to a rolling boil I add about a cup or a little more of Zatarans liquid boil. Every hour or so I check the water level and if needed add some but make sure you add a little salt when you do this. I boil them for 4 hrs and the shut them off and let sit overnight. Sack them up the next morning ( 50 lbs put up 35 to 37 quart bags) hope this helps Fathertime madeSICC88 I need to add that Frank Lowry that grows the peanuts grows them for boiling, his peanuts have a great flavor and are clean and ready for the pot as soon as you get to the pot. make's a big difference.

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I like mine with a little kick to them...so I put a little crawfish oil in mine. I don't do it often but I think that it is about time I make some. I like the idea of ice cream salt.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank for the tips. I don't make nearly that much when I do make them but I'll maybe do some this next week. They do sound good now.

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. 37 bags? How long do they keep? I love boiled peanuts. However it seems to be a Southern thing. I work with a lot of people from up north and no one has ever heard of them. I usually try to bring a bag to them before they head back north and almost everyone hates them.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in the north and have never had them up until about 2 years ago. Saw them all the time down here but never tried them until I was at a BBQ with some friends. Really liked them

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I work with a younger guy that was raised in Rochester, NY. A couple years ago, one of the guys brought in a gallon bag of fresh boiled peanuts and we were passing them around.

Well, Mr NY was giving us an awkward look and finally asked "what are those?". We told him what they were and offer him one. He said "uh, I guess." and proceeded to put the entire peanut in his mouth and start chewing! LoL The face he made was priceless! We all stared at each other in shock for a second wondering why he's eating the shell and all. Then we realized, we had taken for granted our natural southern common sense. Nobody had bothered to explain to him HOW to eat a boiled peanut.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. 37 bags? How long do they keep? I love boiled peanuts. However it seems to be a Southern thing. I work with a lot of people from up north and no one has ever heard of them. I usually try to bring a bag to them before they head back north and almost everyone hates them.

They freeze pretty good I usually have them all gone in a year so I don't know how long they will keep past that. The trick is to lay the bag out and let them thaw on their own, they are always good if you do that.

cpn.jp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is how we store them. My wife has got the perfect recipe for canning them. They will keep for several years this way, though I wouldn't know for sure since they don't last that long here! A 27lb bag from Holland's will do 27qts. We just took a case to our cabin in Kentucky to have when we are there.

Attachments

• image-2590068794.jpg
      image-2590068794.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 565

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    there are excellent canned or froze....we keep them both ways.
    cayenne with low sodium salt in abundance is our trick
    along with boil then soak timing.
    liquid crab boil for the spicey lovers like me and my oldest grandson............:yo:

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need to figure out a low sodium mixture for them. Love spice but don't like much salt. I always make them too salty.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    use tony's low sodium spice and (sea salt) sam's should have both in bulk
    i will ask the wifey, see gets that part of the deal.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I get at least 20lb.s of the jumbo peanuts from Hollands to put up every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmixs10

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in April, my wife and I were on a tour bus in Charleston, SC, and the guide was talking about boiled peanuts and where to buy them locally. The guide said one time when he was giving this presentation, a man with a northern accent shouted, "I didn't realize peanuts had hair." The guide said he did not understand. The man replied "You keep talking about bald peanuts."

cpn.jp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do tell.........??
    If I remember it goes like this...
    Mix 1 cup salt to 1 gal water in a pot, bring to slow boil,
    In another pot, Parboil peanuts for 10 minutes,
    Pack peanuts in qt jars(our canner holds 7 qts),
    Cover peanuts with brine from pot #1
    Place jars in warmed pressure canner,
    Let cook in canner for 50 mins at 15 psi.
    I can post the actual recipe later. Same texture and taste just like they were fresh boiled!

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I made some awhile back with swamp fire. Passed some out to friends and they are still begging me to make some more.

scratcherky

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know this is an old thread but being originally from SC and love bald peanuts, I just have to ask what is "swampfire"?

Top Bottom