• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Does anybody make a reliable and affordable AR upper chambered in 7.62x39? A buddy and I were discussing how this round would do on hogs while stalking them. I saw some uppers on primary arms sight but they seemed to get negative reviews as far as feed issues. Thanks in advance.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The case taper of the 7.62x39 necessitates the really curved magazine design... magazines appear to be the main issue on 7.62x39 AR15 rifles... I would think you would be better off with a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel.

In addition to the 6.8 SPC, I use a .30HRT (Herrett Rimless Tactical) which is based off the 6.8 SPC case... formed in a .30 Herrett die, trimmed to length, then fire formed... yes, a bit of work... but it works great on deer and functions 100%... I've taken a couple nice 8-points with it.

For true hog hunting, I use the .50 Beowulf... something about a 335gr HP going 1900 FPS just makes their lights go out instantly... you might want to consider one of the Big Bore offerings such as the Beowulf or the .458 SOCOM.

.30 HRT kill

.50 Beowulf Kill

Cases... from L to R .223, 6mmx45mm, 6.8 SPC, .30 HRT, 7.62x39, and .50 Beowulf

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    CP defense CPD has the best mag for the x39, especially designed for it and works great. Use the Hornady 123SST

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bet that 50 cal. does a heck of a job. Obviously the big draw for me wanting 7.62x39 is the cost per round. Keep the info coming. I will look into the ones already suggested. Radical Arms is the one I looked at the other day that had less than impressive reviews. I was looking at the pistol version that Primary had on sale for $599. Bowhunters point about case taper makes perfect sense now that I think about how both the SKS and AK 30 round magazines are "banana" shaped.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a 7.62x39 flat top upper from SOTA Arms at Tulsa last year mainly because it has a .308 barrel with a 10 twist. I shoot 150s in it and so far no problems at all. I intend to convert the chamber to a 308 ARk, which is pretty much a 30 Grendel. Right now it sports a no battery Trijicon auto ambient light adjusting dot sight.
    Ed

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I had not jumped into the 6.8 some years ago,I would have surely went for the 7.62X39 upper. However it would have been like you stated above,.308" bore and 1:10 twist.

Nowadays for hunting,there are some good bullets available for loading,especially the ones designed for the 300BLK. Then there is most any .308" bullet designed to open adequately at the 30-30Win vels. --- SAWMAN

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm getting in late on this one, but classic firearms.com sells a 7.62 by 39 for around $300.00 It's a "Bear Creek" and the reviews are in the stratosphere. I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through my .223 Wylde/5.56/.223, but it's alot more accurate than my friend's Bushmaster.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys. I have been reading up on the different suggestions. The CP Defense magazine seems very promising.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the SOTA Arms upper setup with the Trijicon sight. It is very light and very handy. Note the 10 round mag which functions perfectly. The barrel is threaded and this is the F1 can with 220gr powder coated bullets for it and the 300 BO.
    Ed

Attachments

• AR 7.62x39 30 cal R & L.JPG
      AR 7.62x39 30 cal R & L.JPG
      93.1 KB · Views: 177
    • 220gr with the F1 can for the 300 BO.jpg
      220gr with the F1 can for the 300 BO.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 177

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    What's the diameter and length of your Form 1 can? I did a couple of Form 1 cans (.22 and 9mm) years ago and sold the 9mm one. Am thinking of doing another in the area of 1.3" to 1.375" in diameter, something a bit slimmer than the typical 1.5" for 30 cal cans so it will fit under more handguards and making it in 9mm with titanium tube with the first baffle stainless steel to make it sturdy enough for 300 Blackout. It's a bit easier to to obtain the raw parts now a days with a wider variety of metals available.

Can you take yours apart? Do the powder coated bullets leave any residue in the suppressor (other than some carbon from the burning gunpowder)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The can body and ends are the D cell diameter body parts offered by J P Tactical on their site on line. The tube pictured in their titanium model which they now offer to have lettered inexpensively. They also offer stainless steel freeze plugs for forming baffles and stainless steel tubing to make blast shambers from. The blast chamber tube fits inside the outer titanium body.

I have not seen any residue from the powder coating in the barrel, action, gas system or the suppressor. As the ends of the can screw in, the baffle system can be poured out of the exterior tube and cleaned with carburetor cleaner, break cleaner, or a parts washer.
    Ed

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    psa 7.62x39 upper..

stupid cheap

crazy accurate.........

I was shocked at 1 in group at 100 yd.(this done 2x with called flyer each time INCLUDED..wtf?).. WITH STEEL.. 299 FREE SHIP WITH BCG.

So I sold AK and bought a 2nd upper. Have not shot it yet

This upper ,,cut post sight off..(haha ,,low profile gasblock now) free float handguard.

hyperfire 3 trigger. 1x4 7.62x39 scope....

2nd will get same trigger and carbon fiber handguard and RedDot.

YeahBuddy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom