• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    People have been shooting around my house lately so I have decided that I'm not really worried about making noise anymore. So today I got a Gamo pellet gun. This is a spring driven .177cal model and it is advertised at 1250fps with the alloy pellets and at 1000fps with the lead pellets. It also is the single stroke,bbl break down model.

My application for this gun is shooting tree rats at a max distance of 35yds in my back yard so a fairly accurate gun is needed.
    Questions: 1. Will the advertised vels be pretty accurate ??
    2. I have read that these type of guns will get more accurate after a couple hundred pellets have been fired. Is this true ??
    3. Do these guns favor one pellet,either in weight or design,over another pellet ??
    4. The owners manual stated that you should NEVER use oil in the bbl. Is this true and ...... WHY ?? I did push a dry patch thru it and it was pretty dirty. Is there anything else that I can use for a cleaner and a rust inhibitor ?? (I do not think the bbl is stainless.)

This is a cheap gun,not even close to the ones above. However if I can keep the tree rats somewhat under control,that is basically all I am looking for here. Any info will be much appreciated. --- SAWMAN

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hello, I will try to answer as best as I can. I use to own a few springers airguns a while back and pretty much just have the PCP's now.

1. Will the advertised vels be pretty accurate ??

Yes those spring airguns can be very accurate and there are techniques to shooting them and I have friends that use them in comp shooting. Good read here:
    http://www.airgundepot.com/how-to-get-a-springer-to-shoot-straight-article.html

2. I have read that these type of guns will get more accurate after a couple hundred pellets have been fired. Is this true ??

Yes and No. If you want real good accuracy from and airgun and as you know with any gun you will find the right pellet it likes. I know they always ad speed speed speed with airguns but that is not important at all.

3. Do these guns favor one pellet,either in weight or design,over another pellet ??

Yes see above.

4. The owners manual stated that you should NEVER use oil in the bbl. Is this true and ...... WHY ?? I did push a dry patch thru it and it was pretty dirty. Is there anything else that I can use for a cleaner and a rust inhibitor ?? (I do not think the bbl is stainless.)

Not sure why they would say that? I know I have oiled my barrel on a springer I had made it sound like a .22 LR going off for a few shots I guess the oil being compressed?

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My buddy that's the springer freak in Ohio calls the phenomenon "dieseling". My springer did that for the first few times I shot it and once every time I've cleaned. He suggested light machine oil and that's what I use.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Much thanks for the above guys. Like I stated,this gun is nothing near high end ($106. on sale at Academy) but just wanted to make it as accurate as possible. I also like to keep my equipment (expensive or not) in the best shape possible.

Even at the slower speeds of the pellets I figured that there might be some lead buildup in the bbl and wanted to cut this and push it out without doing damage to this gun. Pellets are cheap. I bought two different varieties yesterday with the gun,will go back and get a couple more to try out next time at the range with a good bench and bags. I suspect that he extreme weak point of this guns accuracy will be it's trigger. It is clearly a two stage however the second stage is super mushy with a let off of approx. 10lbs.

As stated,if it will cleanly kill some tree rats every time I see more that a couple at a time in my back yard,the gun has served its purpose. Again gentlemen,thanks for your input and will certainly learn from the above links article. --- SAWMAN

AND ---> I can shoot the alloy pellets at 1250 and the lead pellets at 1000. Would the super vs sub thing have any difference in the accuracy ?? I really do not care about the noise. Thanks again. ---

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I am thinking about one of the Gammo's too. I have looked at the "whisper fusion" but some reviews say the are not a quiet as advertised. Would like your input as to the noise level of the one you bought.
    Question is, what to do with the tree rats once harvested; stewed, fried, or what?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Ken,finally got around to reading the article that you linked in your post #2 above. Great article. I quickly learned that yesterday when I was sighting in my scope/gun I was doing it all wrong.

The extreme difference in the way you hold a springer vs a powder burner is amazing. It will take practice to learn this but not really too hard. Just tons of shooting ....... but ....... pellets are cheap and time .. I got.

The model that I got is the GAMO Big Cat 1250.(.177cal) It came with a kinda shitty 1" tube 4X scope unmounted. The top of the receiver is grooved and the bottom part of the rings clamps into this. The ring tops are "normal so I figured if need be I could always swap out the scope for another although I learned yesterday that for the distances that will likely be shooting the little 4X(if sturdy and accurate)will do fine.

The pellets that I got was the GAMO Rocket. They are a HP type pellet with a small,hard "BB" looking thing imbedded in the HP cavity. Also another type of GAMO brand although I discarded the packaging.

The gun is somewhat loud. It is easily louder than a Ruger 10/22 suppressed. There is a huge moving mass inside the spring guns along with a fairly big spring that is violently uncompressing. Add to this the supersonic crack when using the alloy pellets and I'm sure the gun will be pretty loud indeed.

Once I have some pellets downrange using the methods in the link I will report back as to how the accuracy is with the gun and pellet combo.

The tree rats go in a small trash bag and into the garbage to be recycled into dump duck food. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Just dug a pellet out of a pine board that I was using for a back stop. The above mentioned pellet with the smal "BB" in the HP cavity is .118" in diameter and WILL stick to a magnet. It is gold in color.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is an old post from another forum. Here is my experience with airgun to help with accuracy and what could possibly cause it to be inaccurate. To make a pellet rifle accurate is a different ball game.

I have always used oil to help get out the lead fouling in the barrel from time to time but to be honest you do not have to clean an air gun like you have to clean a rifle. I might have leaned mine twice and they still shoot good. It is just a waste of time.

Only owned two but have shot them enough to have to replace some springs etc.
    "I have owned two piston air rifles one was a Gamo and the other one I am not sure a friend gave it to me.
    There are multiple reasons why a piston air rifle will shoot inaccurate.
    Over time of shooting the spring needs to be replaced. The spring will become weak and there can start to be a huge deviation in fps which will cause it to be inaccurate.

Not using a scope rated for air gun use or using a cheap scope that is rated for air guns. A piston air gun especially the ones that shoot high fps can tear up a regular scope that we put on firearms. A firearm will just recoil backwards as a piston air rifle will recoil backwards and then have a sharp jolt forward. I have torn up a scope doing this before.

Just like a rifle choosing the right ammo can cause issues or be a breeze. When I would shoot my air gun what I noticed is I would get better accuracy out of a looser fitting pellets vs a tighter ones. What I mean by looser is the ones that just barely fit snug vs the ones you have to push. I also noticed I got the best with the heaviest pellets I could buy such as the Crosman Ultra Magnum 10.5 grains, JSP Exact Heavy around 10 grains a pellet. There are some that go up to 16 grains I think but I never tried those. (.177)

Quality scope mounts

Also shooting technique. I got the best groups when I would just lean the forend on my palm (not holding it) or just propping it against something and just pulling firm into my shoulder versus having a firm grip on the fore grip and pulling into my shoulder. As soon as I would hold the forend the groups would open up.

But following this I never had problems with my air guns. I was going to say Gamo until you said that lol Benjamin's are great too."

Last edited:

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People have been shooting around my house lately so I have decided that I'm not really worried about making noise anymore. So today I got a Gamo pellet gun. This is a spring driven .177cal model and it is advertised at 1250fps with the alloy pellets and at 1000fps with the lead pellets. It also is the single stroke,bbl break down model.

My application for this gun is shooting tree rats at a max distance of 35yds in my back yard so a fairly accurate gun is needed.
    Questions: 1. Will the advertised vels be pretty accurate ??

This is a cheap gun,not even close to the ones above. However if I can keep the tree rats somewhat under control,that is basically all I am looking for here. Any info will be much appreciated. --- SAWMAN
    My issue was squirrels in the pecans. Below pictured squirrel slayer is in triple digit kills. The recoil from spring slamming into stop will guickly toast the rings. There is a little pin that prevents the ring from sliding back. Scope will slide also. My solution was to drill out the existing holes in the rings and replace cheap screws with bolts and nuts. Supplied scope crapper out about 500 rnds. Add 3x9 bolted her down good. Trigger is adjustable and the worst. A little dermal love went a long way. Still needed to really practice trigger brake, sometimes you can only see one eye peaking down from top of branch. Most accurate pellet for mine was the red polly tip. About 1.75 at 15 yrds. At 1000 fps they are small game deadly. Just would like better accuracy. Let me know how it works out
    3ef75f2b68ee99b6bd33e35c101d52ec.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When shopping for a gun I really wanted one that has a pic rail screwed onto the top of the receiver like normal rifles. That would definitely be more sturdy. They make them but not in the guns that I narrowed my choice down to.

When I opened the package that was still sealed from the factory,the scope was off the gun but had the rings installed on it. I immediately took the rings off the scope. When installing the scope I cleaned all the screws and holes with alcohol. I installed the bottoms of the rings first. I slid the aft ring fwd so that the pin would engage the fwd part of the hole in the top of the receiver. When I screwed down the pin I left it just off the receiver. (Touched rcvr then backed off 1/2 turn.)I installed the scope in the rings like normal. I used BLUE Loc-Tite on all screws.

I adjusted the trigger so that the second stage has minimal take-up. However,like you say,it is still extremely shitty. Feels like a Glock but multiplied X10. Heavy pull weight. Huge amount of travel with extreme over travel after let-off. Not good for accuracy for sure.

I will practice how the gun is held when shooting. I will also get me some more pellets to try. Then ....... practice,practice,practice ...... --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    UPDATE ---> AFTER,and only after,I learned to shoot this gun (thanks to all the input guys),the tree ratz are starting to suffer. And suffer BADLY !!.

Learned ---> The above mentioned pellets are super accurate and for the weight (IMO) pretty fast. However because of the design,with the hard copper plated(?) "BB" in the nose they,have max penetration and not enough shock/expansion. All hits,even on the shoulder and side of the head,have been thru and thru. In the future will give some other brands of pellets a try. All lead and either flat nose or of the HP design.

The above measures that I took to mount the scope and rings must be working .. at least .. so far. I took careful measurements with vernier calipers after mounting,and so far the scope and/or rings have not moved ANY AT ALL. This,after approx. 125 shots.

So far this has been a great gun for the $106. --- SAWMAN

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman- there is a cleaning patch for air rifles/pistols. It looks like a felt pellet. You can shoot a couple of these through the barrel and it takes the place of cleaning rods or bore snakes. I used them on our match air rifles when I shot on the college rifle team. Champions Choice Shooters Supply out of TN sells them cheap.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    UPDATE ---> AFTER,and only after,I learned to shoot this gun (thanks to all the input guys),the tree ratz are starting to suffer. And suffer BADLY !!.

Learned ---> The above mentioned pellets are super accurate and for the weight (IMO) pretty fast. However because of the design,with the hard copper plated(?) "BB" in the nose they,have max penetration and not enough shock/expansion. All hits,even on the shoulder and side of the head,have been thru and thru. In the future will give some other brands of pellets a try. All lead and either flat nose or of the HP design.

The above measures that I took to mount the scope and rings must be working .. at least .. so far. I took careful measurements with vernier calipers after mounting,and so far the scope and/or rings have not moved ANY AT ALL. This,after approx. 125 shots.

So far this has been a great gun for the $106. --- SAWMAN
    For sure thru and thru. About a week before the pecans are ripe. They take one bite and throw em on the ground. Out comes the Gamo, it's time to wage war. Average 30 the first week. Tapers way off from there. My employees call it the Grey rain. Crazy fat man throwing paint buckets and squirrels falling from trees
    Ps most pellets I tryed came close to going thru 3/4 plywood. Except the flat crossmans. They seem to dump all the energy and go about half way, but accuracy suffered.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey sawman, how about an update on your pellet rifle?

Thinking about getting one also, was needing some input on them, looking at thinning down some tree rats around the place,

seem they like to chew on my wiring harness on my Toyota forerunner and chewed up the harness that ain't cheap :help:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My gun has been great for the money paid. The el cheapo scope that came with it is still on it and contributes to the kills. For my intended purpose the .177cal is good. You gotta try different pellets though . . for accuracy.
    A long shot for me would be about 40yds and most are about 25 or so. Make sure to mount the scope "properly". I hate them weenie little claw mounts on the grooved receiver,but mine has held tight so far. Clean all the screws,screw holes,grooves,rings,and scope,before mounting. Tighten all screws properly.
    There is quite a bit of fwd recoil to the spring guns. There was for me a real challenge in learning to shoot one. Your learned and practiced muscle memory is thrown out the window.
    All in all . . . the gun,the pellets,the job it does for me . . . I would give it a 8 out of 10. --- SAWMAN

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My gun has been great for the money paid. The el cheapo scope that came with it is still on it and contributes to the kills. For my intended purpose the .177cal is good. You gotta try different pellets though . . for accuracy.
    A long shot for me would be about 40yds and most are about 25 or so. Make sure to mount the scope "properly". I hate them weenie little claw mounts on the grooved receiver,but mine has held tight so far. Clean all the screws,screw holes,grooves,rings,and scope,before mounting. Tighten all screws properly.
    There is quite a bit of fwd recoil to the spring guns. There was for me a real challenge in learning to shoot one. Your learned and practiced muscle memory is thrown out the window.
    All in all . . . the gun,the pellets,the job it does for me . . . I would give it a 8 out of 10. --- SAWMAN

Glad to hear you are enjoying your springer.

Some day you need to meet Bruce and I up at my property and I will let you shoot my PCP Airguns. It's a whole different world and the power they have is amazing.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would really like to give them a try Ken. Might just possibly have more stuff for your collection also.
    I really do not like the springers. They go against about everything that I have been taught about mounting your weapon for accuracy. I have noticed after shooting it in the backyard quite a bit,my next trip to the range I talk to myself while shooting. Then back home,the first several shots with the springer are complete misses. Some as much as 4 inches at 25yds. THEN . . . . I talk to myself some more. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom