• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you ever read 'Atlas Shrugged' ? If not, and you enjoy reading, this one is a must read. There is a character in the book connected to the 'state science institute' later in the book... Many of the characters in the book have a distinct role/message in the book...btw, it is a philosophy book wrapped up in a fictional story...was published in 1957 I think and has amazing parallels to our current situation. It made me realize that most of our debates/issues today are directionally the same as those in the first half of the 20th century.

Anyways, back to the state science institute...I think the author's reason for including this part of the story is to draw a connection between the corruption of govt and the pure field of science. Science, in its purest form, seeks truth and the scientific method takes a hypothesis and tries to prove it by disproving it...when a theory can't be disproved, it may become a 'law of science'. In the book, and in our reality, the govt is the beast...it grows for its own sake and engulfs all eventually. Corruption is rampant as humans crave power and with power comes corruption...soooo, when govt gets involved with science, it is corrupted. Science no longer seeks to disprove its theories, but rather prove them with data points and false conclusions. It was documented that some of the 'data points' used in the global warming argument were not accurate or truthful....then the extrapolation of data "the hockey stick" predicted residents of Milton wold have beach front property by now. That calls into question the whole theory and the behavior of our so-called scientists...which is why I was disappointed when I saw physics-astronomy.com was posting material indicating global warming to be a hard fast truism and alternative energy being viable....something I researched many years ago...solar and wind power are about 30x more expensive per Kwhr than coal or even nuclear power....can you imaging a $300/mo electric bill becoming a $9000/month? That technology is worth investigating and improving but is a long, long ways from being ready for prime time....every time I see a semi transporting one of those big wind turbine blades, my wallet starts to smolder!!!

In a somewhat related note...cholesterol...I'm 50 and was a kid when the war on beef and eggs started...when everything we touched caused cancer. Ever read Dr.Atkins book about his highly controversial low-carb diet? I did...I lost 40 pounds on his diet and my cholesterol didn't increase...I knew there was something bogus about what I was taught about fat...now, more is understood and the connection between high fructose corn syrup and good ole genetics is beginning to unravel what was previously thought to be true...the culprit, a study linking health issues to fat intake that was improperly conducted and did not measure or understand sugar's impact to health and diet...and just like that, viola red meat and the egg industry plummets in value and sales...white meat, poultry sky rockets... it would have been good to have insider information to move my stock portfolio appropriately...but that would would be insider trading and illegal...unless you are as member of congress....get it yet?

A healthy skepticism is a good thing...people have a certain nature. I've come to understand that nature much better over the years and as such, take everything, and I mean everything with a grain of salt....I try to learn as much as I'm able to about things knowing all along that some of my beliefs are incorrect...still, I will continue to look for the true nature of things.

Global warming, at best is crony science and at worst, a con job. Climate is not weather and climate changes. Humans have very little impact on planetary climate...we can mess things up locally but not on a global scale...yet anyways.

Want to learn something; study up on DDT and Formaldahyde a bit...might make you re-think what you were taught. Millions of people die every year from malaria and formaldehyde is a naturally occurring compound, and while it is an irritant, it is not carcinogenic in 'normal concentrations'....the data was extracted from lab animals in ultra high concentrations...be skeptical, not cynical. Humans do everything they do for a reason...what reason is known only to them, but motivation to act comes from external and internal stimulus...not from an altruistic desire to be a saint.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I remember reading this same explanation in some other sources. "Statistical justification" used to drive policy.

It's a shame that many of our once-trusted news sources are no longer trustworthy to actually report the truth. The greatest coup in propaganda advertising was to get the "news networks" to spew it out.

Unfortunately, many people still take what is said at face value and don't dig...

Here's a link to the "Skeptical Science" page where the "study" is and the authors pat each other on the back:

https://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-cook-et-al-2013.html

Even in their own article, it shows flaws in how they derive the misleading 97% statistic. Even comments at the bottom of the article have dissenters whose questions are shot down with double-speak rationale.

The source of this "study" and the methods used are all ripe for scrutiny. But the once-trusted media got ahold of it, and politicians started using that soundbite, and voila: instant social-media credibility.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    if a liberal says it, it is true.. and if repeated by bill nye , the science guy, it is gospel

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I first knew for certain this was BS when I was paying for a new pair of jeans for my wife in a mall in Alexandria, VA. The cashier asked if I would like to lower my carbon footprint by giving her $7. Without missing a beat I asked her if she would like to lower her carbon footprint by giving me 7$. My wife got the hiccups from laughing so hard.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Originally Posted by fv22 View Post More proof of liberal lies "NOAA Caught Lying About Arctic Sea Ice" [url said:
    https://tiny.iavian.net/lqdy[/url]

I didn't post anything about what you noted as far as I know. It was mostly a jab at Mo Brooks. Rocks.....rocks falling in the ocean are causing sea level to rise. Yeah....that must be it.

Actually my post had NOTHING to do with anything you had previously posted. Had not even read the article you had there. Just put it out there as general info regarding more lib lies about the subject of original post. Don't be so sensitive!:Cry:

Top Bottom