• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IH424

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up my first kayak over the weekend and was looking for information from anyone who has paddled in the mobile tensaw delta. Are the canoe trails well marked? Any advice for a new paddler?

Thanks.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few pool noodles stuffed in the hull could make a horrible day not so bad

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Call some of the locally owned sporting goods stores and they should be able to help you. Like mc coys outdoors, I have heard it's a group that kayak the delta a lot. Just don't get scared of the big gators.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out The Fairhope Boat Company they are always sponsoring trips and have all the info you are looking for. Warning leave your credit cards and cash at home when you go there the inventory will make you want to start collecting kayaks. Hope you enjoy your kayak I have had several over the years, but I never took a trip in the Delta. Maybe one day.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When running the ICW in a 55" Hatteras (S/F) down south of Norfolk,thru NC,and SC,you know what we used to call the yaker's ??

Speed bumps !! Let's all be safe out there. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tether your paddle! I also use a long surf board leash from bow to ankle allows for swim/snorkle and tie up. Dry compartments aren't! Stash in freezer bags first. Use heavy leaf bags (bring extra) for big stuff. If not tied down or teathered you loose it on "tips". Rubber "dry plugs" will melt/deform if left outdoors even under a tarp. I painted my paddle ends floresent orange. Keep a large fixed blade knife on you in gator country. Practice your deep water remount until you can do it first try every time. Use tide flow to your advantage. Watch for snake and hornet nests overhead and banks for gator slides. Know what gator swirls look like (one swirl from eack foot when they kick off the bottom in shallow water). If you see baby gators, mom's not far. Use a bucket for bait and fish, you don't want a chum line. Use trail mark ribbon if you go deep into tall marshes with multiple forks, pull them on the way out. Fresh water rinse everything upon return. Clean your handgun ASAP. Have fun!

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wildrider666's nailed it except maybe about baby gators, not only is mom close but she is very protective when her babies are small. when they're 12 inches or under she's real close, and she will provide protection to her babies for about a year if they remain near her. So if you see baby gators paddle the hell out of there ASAP!!!
    I've seen a 11' or bigger gator lunge up out of the water about two feet to take a huge softshell turtle off a log it had crawled up on to sun, I then went down river about a quarter mile and found a front flipper bigger than my hand still oozing blood in the mouth of a slough I went into. When I went to turn the boat around I saw the gator going out the opening I had just came thru on my 16' boat, it was a big gator.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No need to worry too much about sharks and gators, just add it to your situational awareness. If your spidey senses go off, move on! Here is good link:

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/NatureIssues/sharks.htm

Wildrider is right you really don't have to worry about the gators just don't stop to watch the little ones and you shouldn't ever have any problems. I've paddled by lots of them and never had one bother me.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Looks nice Jeep! I haven't been this summer yet but looking forward to it. Need to get up a group and go on an excursion. FYI, I don't kayak but I do paddle board and go where ever kayaks go.

IH424

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The park at 48 to Boone Ln? I did that a few weeks ago, last week went from Boone Ln south to polecat creek, up polecat to county rd 9 & back to Boone. Need a GCGF paddle day.

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Brant, thanks for sharing your photos. Where on the river did you launch the Kayaks?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looks nice Jeep! I haven't been this summer yet but looking forward to it. Need to get up a group and go on an excursion. FYI, I don't kayak but I do paddle board and go where ever kayaks go.

There are some parts where you'd have been better off on a paddle board, and others where it might be tough. Yes, we definitely ought to get a group together sometime.

The park at 48 to Boone Ln? I did that a few weeks ago, last week went from Boone Ln south to polecat creek, up polecat to county rd 9 & back to Boone. Need a GCGF paddle day.

Indeed. I'll check out the Boone to Polecat route.

Brant, thanks for sharing your photos. Where on the river did you launch the Kayaks?

See above. Put in at Bohemian Park on 48, take out at Boone Ln.

IH424

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Headed out right now to do Boone ln to the honey rd boat ramp

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 440
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 478
    Last edited:

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Today, I took my mega yak out for a spin in Weeks Bay. It was hot but keeping my ass wet helped a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
      IMG_1187.JPG
      46.2 KB · Views: 417

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang. Even your wife's photography skills can't make you look good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    ZING!!! I was gonna say, paddling in open water in this god awful weather sounds exhausting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom