• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtkillerv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going ratting for the first time next week. A friend of mine is a superintendent of a golf course, and has a major problem with rats in his shop. He has asked me to bring my air rifle over to thin the population down. If that's even possible.
    His idea was that I could bring my pellet/BB gun over there to shoot rats, and not shoot holes through the metal on the building. He doesn't realize that I didn't own any BB guns, and that the rifles I have are producing enough power to make his shop look like Swiss cheese. It's not heavy gauge metal.
    Well, I was so exited about the chance to shoot some rats that I went out and bought an air rifle that only produced 625-650 fps, but still had the consistency to put the pellet where I was aiming. I didn't stop there either! I bought lights to hunt at night, and then decided to use IR so then I bought a camera mount for my scope, and an IR light.
    I believe this is an illness just like any other drug.

I better see, and shoot, some damn rats!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Going ratting for the first time next week. A friend of mine is a superintendent of a golf course, and has a major problem with rats in his shop. He has asked me to bring my air rifle over to thin the population down. If that's even possible.
    His idea was that I could bring my pellet/BB gun over there to shoot rats, and not shoot holes through the metal on the building. He doesn't realize that I didn't own any BB guns, and that the rifles I have are producing enough power to make his shop look like Swiss cheese. It's not heavy gauge metal.
    Well, I was so exited about the chance to shoot some rats that I went out and bought an air rifle that only produced 625-650 fps, but still had the consistency to put the pellet where I was aiming. I didn't stop there either! I bought lights to hunt at night, and then decided to use IR so then I bought a camera mount for my scope, and an IR light.

here is how they do it in gun free Britain...looks like fun, eh?

gtkillerv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I get lost in You Tube land watching those guys. Watching all the hunting videos is one of the things that has made me buy a lot of my air rifles. It's something I want to start doing, but life seems to interfere a lot.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I enjoy those British rat hunting videos.

K,

If you need to borrow my IR illuminator, just let me know. If it hits the eyes of the target, the eyes "glow" just like in the video when seen through night vision. I tried to get a place for you to night hunt rats (an old horse stable), but that possibility seems to have been a dead end. I'll keep on looking.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    the australian ones are good too...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back around 1972 a friend took me out to shoot rats at a dump somewhere near Foley. It was actually pretty creepy when you turned on a light and realized you were surrounded by thousands of rats.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    John, about the same time we use to do the same thing with a .30 carbine full auto and a couple of cans full of ammo. It was a real blast.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't get me wrong, I think that would be a whole lot of fun, but as a pest control professional, you are never going to get rid of them by shooting them one at a time....

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That's not the point. The point is to get them before Stanley does and serves them at a company picnic..........
    That literally made me laugh out loud, to the point my better half gave me a strange look.

Carry on!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Idaho we shot ground squirrels commonly called whistle pigs on range lands. Their burrows can break legs or tear muscle of running stock and trap young calfs. The whistle pigs make chirping sounds for danger and again when its all clear. After you bust them a few time they get shy. We would set the alarm on a cheap digital alarm for one minute interval and toss it in the area. After a few beeps the would flood out again. This would repeat over and over. These pigs had a security structure and the sentries all stand like tent pegs watching for hawks. The pigs were also very cannibalistic. Splat one and the others would start eating it. When the eating frenzy got going they would attack injured pigs that were twitching or flopping! Makes for a big pile. A 550 brick was $7 till about 2005. It was the norm to shoot more then two bricks in in a few hours and took several 22 rifles and a pistol to allow cool down.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my wife has a fenced dog yard that her curr stays in during the day while she is working.
    at night the dog is inside and the field rats invade his feeder.
    well, with the help of my henry lever, LED headlight and cci quiets...its a real blast !!
    some of them critters are as big as her cat sniper

Last edited:

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Need any help? I just got my benjamin marauder .25 cal. Putting a scope on it today. Sighting it in tomorrow.

RATS??? oh heck yes PuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuLeeeeze sir point me in the right direction

gtkillerv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Need any help? I just got my benjamin marauder .25 cal. Putting a scope on it today. Sighting it in tomorrow.

RATS??? oh heck yes PuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuLeeeeze sir point me in the right direction

I don't get to go too often. Last trip out we only saw two rats. Two shots. Two dead rats. One inside, and one outside about 25 ft up in a tree. I would have never looked there, but the buddy I was with was looking around outside while I sat on the shooting lanes we created inside his maintenance building.

.25 cal Marauder might be too much for inside his building. I bought a Marauder pistol that is only producing about 13 fpe so I'm shooting through the walls.

There is a drawback to this rat shooting. I'm usually asleep by 2000 hours, and staying up in the middle of a dark and silent room is at times more than this non-night owl can handle. Makes for a rough drive home.

I would really like to make a few connects with some of the farmers around the area to see about doing some pest control (okay, we call it pest control, but it's really all about the hunt) around their barns, but I haven't had much luck.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    We have a rat problem in my neighborhood. Guy across the st. has chickens and there is a trailer park behind him that is RAT INFESTED.... I will keep you informed if any Hunting happens. Thanks for update.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An old picture from Georgia. It does not seem to have date.

31957252_10211897736267385_432724066810462208_n.jpg

Attachments

• 31957252_10211897736267385_432724066810462208_n.jpg
      31957252_10211897736267385_432724066810462208_n.jpg
      166.9 KB · Views: 439

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

All you need is a Red Ryder and a hungry stray cat. Knock em down and the cat will get them

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is my new rat gun, it’s Henry’s Garden Gun ,it is a smooth bore 22lr that is designed to shoot shot shells either blue tops or crimp tops. It is actually classified as a shotgun. The main drawback of it is finding ammo for it. I also will be using it to train my grandchildren when the get big enough. Let them shoot balloons, get them used to the pop and no kick plus more than likely they will pop the balloon.

Attachments

• 059A869C-13EB-452B-A67E-3170D04577D5.jpeg
      059A869C-13EB-452B-A67E-3170D04577D5.jpeg
      3.2 MB · Views: 101
    Top Bottom