Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ratting

In Idaho we shot ground squirrels commonly called whistle pigs on range lands. Their burrows can break legs or tear muscle of running stock and trap young calfs. The whistle pigs make chirping sounds for danger and again when its all clear. After you bust them a few time they get shy. We would set the alarm on a cheap digital alarm for one minute interval and toss it in the area. After a few beeps the would flood out again. This would repeat over and over. These pigs had a security structure and the sentries all stand like tent pegs watching for hawks. The pigs were also very cannibalistic. Splat one and the others would start eating it. When the eating frenzy got going they would attack injured pigs that were twitching or flopping! Makes for a big pile. A 550 brick was $7 till about 2005. It was the norm to shoot more then two bricks in in a few hours and took several 22 rifles and a pistol to allow cool down.

my wife has a fenced dog yard that her curr stays in during the day while she is working.
    at night the dog is inside and the field rats invade his feeder.
    well, with the help of my henry lever, LED headlight and cci quiets...its a real blast !!
    some of them critters are as big as her cat
    Last edited by gendoc; 03-18-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
    - Thomas Jefferson

3. Likes gendoc's Post:

50 CAL
    O K looking to trade someone out of a Gen 1 or so N/V,,, Looks like to much fun

45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkillerv View Post
    Going ratting for the first time next week. A friend of mine is a superintendent of a golf course, and has a major problem with rats in his shop. He has asked me to bring my air rifle over to thin the population down. If that's even possible.
    His idea was that I could bring my pellet/BB gun over there to shoot rats, and not shoot holes through the metal on the building. He doesn't realize that I didn't own any BB guns, and that the rifles I have are producing enough power to make his shop look like Swiss cheese. It's not heavy gauge metal.
    Well, I was so exited about the chance to shoot some rats that I went out and bought an air rifle that only produced 625-650 fps, but still had the consistency to put the pellet where I was aiming. I didn't stop there either! I bought lights to hunt at night, and then decided to use IR so then I bought a camera mount for my scope, and an IR light.
    I believe this is an illness just like any other drug.

I better see, and shoot, some damn rats!
    Need any help? I just got my benjamin marauder .25 cal. Putting a scope on it today. Sighting it in tomorrow.

RATS??? oh heck yes PuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuLeeeeze sir point me in the right direction

9MM
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    Need any help? I just got my benjamin marauder .25 cal. Putting a scope on it today. Sighting it in tomorrow.

RATS??? oh heck yes PuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuLeeeeze sir point me in the right direction

I don't get to go too often. Last trip out we only saw two rats. Two shots. Two dead rats. One inside, and one outside about 25 ft up in a tree. I would have never looked there, but the buddy I was with was looking around outside while I sat on the shooting lanes we created inside his maintenance building.

.25 cal Marauder might be too much for inside his building. I bought a Marauder pistol that is only producing about 13 fpe so I'm shooting through the walls.

There is a drawback to this rat shooting. I'm usually asleep by 2000 hours, and staying up in the middle of a dark and silent room is at times more than this non-night owl can handle. Makes for a rough drive home.

I would really like to make a few connects with some of the farmers around the area to see about doing some pest control (okay, we call it pest control, but it's really all about the hunt) around their barns, but I haven't had much luck.

45 ACP
    We have a rat problem in my neighborhood. Guy across the st. has chickens and there is a trailer park behind him that is RAT INFESTED.... I will keep you informed if any Hunting happens. Thanks for update.

An old picture from Georgia. It does not seem to have date.

Name:  31957252_10211897736267385_432724066810462208_n.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  167.5 KB