• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coolpapabell15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Didn't see the info for the upcoming match posted yet, so just copied and pasted previous post with updated info. If you haven't shot this match you need to come give it a try. It's a great match with great folks and is just a great time overall!

- The next Emerald Coast Practical Shooters USPSA Sanctioned match is scheduled for Saturday, January 16th.

- Please register at https://practiscore.com/ecps-uspsa-16-jan-16/register. This saves time prior to the match. We use Practiscore electronic scoring, download the app to your phone and you can leave with the scores.

- Pay online at http://www.coreshooting.com/products/emerald-coast-practical-shooters-uspsa-match-january-16-2016 or with cash at the match. $20 match fee.

Who: Beginning or experienced legal firearm owners who desire to compete in USPSA competition.
    What: United States Practical Shooting Association competitive handgun match. www.uspsa.com
    Where: CORE Shooting Solutions, 8300 Mashourns Forks Rd, Baker, FL 32531. www.coreshooting.com Visit the website for directions, you can get lost and there is marginal cell phone reception.
    When: January 16th, Registration 8:30 AM Central, Shooters Meeting and first shots 9:00.

Equipment:
    - Centerfire handgun chambered in 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc.
    - Holster, 3+ magazines, magazine pouches, eye and ear protection
    - 150-200 rounds for your handgun

Please note that USPSA matches operate as a cold range, bring your unloaded handgun from your car to one of the designated Safe Areas to unbag and holster your firearm. Visit http://www.uspsa.org/document_librar...un Rules.pdf to read the rules and scoring.

In order to make sure we finish expeditiously, be ready to paste targets immediately after the targets are scored. Even a 30 second delay per shooter makes the match take over an hour and a half longer across 40 shooters and 5 stages! If we are efficient we will be done between noon and 1:00 PM.

Please email with questions and bring your friends.

Thank you,
    ECPracticalShooters@yahoo.com

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you have to be a member of the USPSA to shoot?

If this is like most of the other USPSA matches in the area, you do not have to be a member of USPSA to shoot it. If you are not a member, however, your classifier scores won't count until you become a member.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Roger that, thanks Jeep. Never shot a USPSA match before. I know its alot less rules than IDPA. Any pointers for a newbie?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Roger that, thanks Jeep. Never shot a USPSA match before. I know its alot less rules than IDPA. Any pointers for a newbie?

Safety, safety, safety, as always. There could be more doors, obstacles, odd or difficult positions, so be hyper aware of you muzzle and trigger finger and make sure you don't sweep yourself in the midst of the stage.

USPSA is typically more gear heavy than IDPA. I'd probably load your mags full, carry at least 2 on your belt and shoot Limited. If you happen to have a bunch of magazines and pouches for your IDPA gun, then you can load each mag to 10 and shoot Production. Given that you don't typically shoot all the round in a mag before you reload, I'd have a minimum of 5 mags on your belt and 1 in the gun in Production.

Unless a particular sequence or shooting method is called for, most USPSA stage descriptions consist of a start position, then "shoot 'em as you see 'em." There generally isn't a particular stage plan designated in the description, unless you're required to shoot a piece of steel from a designated location, or something along those lines.

coolpapabell15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Same as Jeep said, but I would probably try and push you towards shooting in Limited division, especially for your first time out. Load your mags to capacity so you can focus more on shooting the stage than changing mags every 10 rounds. It's a lot easier on the brain, and therefore more fun! :thumb: In my opinion, of course...

Last edited:

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I have to look up the difference between Limited and Production. Probably go Limited just because I only have two mag holders right now.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've shot limited in the first couple USPSA matches. It was an easy transition from IDPA, a lot more running n gunning. Same safety rules apply of course. I shoot the same pistol and load the mags to capacity.
    Nick puts on an excellent match at CORE. Your IDPA gear will work, might need a couple more mag holders.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Yea, I just hit up Jogan to see if he could get me two more holders by Saturday. Why is limited a better transition than Production?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, I just hit up Jogan to see if he could get me two more holders by Saturday. Why is limited a better transition than Production?

Because in Limited you won't have to plan as many as 4 reloads during a stage... Generally, you have to plan more when shooting Production.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Like papabell said earlier, less mags changes

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Ah ok so in Limited you can fill your mags to the limit. Can you use high capacity mags like the 31 rd glock mag in limited?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll go shoot USPSA on Saturday and it will probably screw me all up for IDPA on Sunday lol

The opposite will probably happen your first time out to USPSA. After being used to IDPA, my first USPSA match was a joke. I went to slide lock a few times and did at least 2 standing reloads. The more you shoot both, the easier it becomes to transition.

Qoholeth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    USPSA stage is typically between 28-36 rounds of fire, only exceptions are the classifier stage which usually considerably less. Typical match has 5-6 stages so round count is much more than IDPA.

ECPS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Coolpapabell, thanks for picking up the slack! I really thought I posted here about the match!

Come shoot with us! It's a fun time. There's a division for everyone, and you get to choose how you shoot each stage. CORE is an incredible range and USPSA is an incredibly fun sport. The only thing you'll hate about this Saturday morning is if you come to watch and don't bring your gear. Email any questions to ECPracticalShooters@yahoo.com

Safe, Fast, and Fun. Run what you brung.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks again to Nick and ROs for hosting another great match today at CORE. Had an excellent time and shot some great stages. I recommend anyone to come out for a match.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    First match and had a lot of fun. Nice to see lineman and others there today. very well put together and props to Nick

Top Bottom