Target Sports

Transfer of hand gun from AL to FL Question!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I'm trying to buy a hand gun from an individual from AL and the FFL dealers I've called here in FL said we can't just do a transfer thru them as individuals it has to be FFL to FFL. Is this right? We were just wanting to walk into a FFL and make the transfer. Is that not possible?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Wrong.
    Go to USA Performance or TGD. I've done just that successfully with both dealers.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I just called USA performance and they said no problem. Thanks Dan1612. Called Buck and Bass, Pensacola Indoor Shooting Range and Mikes Gun Shop and they said they would not do it except thru a FFL to FFL.

mastablasta

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think a lot of FFL's say no so that they don't have to waste time if someone doesn't show up with all the right ID's and stuff. If it comes from another FFL chances are the paperwork will be right. I don't why some of them are so abrasive to transfers. If someone wants to come into my business and pay me $25-30 to hand them paperwork to fill out then they are more than welcome too.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't get it either. As a business man, I can't imagine turning down revenue with that kind of margin.
    I've never been to Buck & bass, I do very little business with Mike's and I do NOT deal with the pawnshop range. $0.02 etc. glad you got it worked out.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And some places like Outpost Elite in Daphne charge an ffl in processing fee and another ffl transfer fee to the new owner. Doubling the fee for only one gun transfer. They can do whatever they wish, and those that don't appreciate their customers, such as OE, are the places I won't buy from. The best customer service ffl's that I've dealt with on this topic is USA Performance mentioned above in FL, and Kenny's Gun Room in AL. Just my .02.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Remember, this service is free for forum members for guns from FL to AL, if you don't mind traveling to Atmore, AL

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Short answer is no. There are special ways to get around it but usually it must be shipped to your states ffl holder aka FFL to FFL. Long guns are different. This is per the ATF website:

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the Seller brings the handgun to the buyers (State) FFL it simplifies the process including buyer inspection and payments. I always get the Ser# up front to run a check. I verify the checked Ser# at time of sale. Had a fella say he brought the wrong S&W Mdl 29, 6 inch, Nickel. He left to get the correct gun. He didn't come back or answer phone or email. As I didn't write down the other Ser#, PD was not interested.
    Cover your Six!

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not saying that it can't be legally done. I was simply posting the info concerning this from the ATF's site so as to provide correct information. I am not an FFL guy by any means. There are ways to do this apparently since they stated "generally" in the reply. I think that there may be some state laws (up north or out west) that sometimes prevent such things hence the broad answer from the atf however I am not aware of any from Al or FL though.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Generally speaking, in most states, it is the FFLs choice whether they choose to accept items for transfer from individuals. The method of delivery, whether it be via major carrier and enclosing a copy of their drivers license and a letter of instruction or showing up in person with their drivers license and providing verbal instructions is irrelevant.
    So, in general, yes.

Top Bottom