• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hope this passes!!

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/10/bill_would_remove_tax_on_gun_s.html

A bill entitled the Hearing Protection Act would remove a $200 tax stamp requirement for gun suppressors, more commonly known as silencers.

Sponsored by U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Arizona, the bill has been endorsed by the American Suppressor Association and National Rifle Association.

"Suppressors significantly reduce the chance of hearing loss for anyone who enjoys the shooting sports," Chris Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, told AmmoLand.com.

"Despite common Hollywood-based misconceptions, the laws of physics dictate that no suppressor will ever be able to render gunfire silent. Suppressors are simply mufflers for firearms," the ASA wrote. "In addition to hearing protection, suppressors also mitigate noise complaints from those who live near shooting ranges and hunting lands."

"Since 1934, the federal government has treated devices designed to muffle or suppress the report of firearms as Title II devices that required registration under the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record and mandated transfers that included a $200 tax stamp," according to Guns.com.

"Instead, (if the bill passes) federal law would treat them as firearms which would allow suppressors to transfer through any regular federal firearms license holders to anyone not prohibited from possessing them after the buyer passes an FBI instant background check."

Also, taxes paid after Oct. 22 will be refunded if the bill becomes law.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think also it would cut the inflated suppressor prices at least in half by allowing many more manufacturers. I have always said they should be treated and sold the same as an AR lower.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The margin on suppressors has got to be HUGE! One of the mil discounts I got was basically 75% off of retail. I'm assuming they were still making a decent cut off of that sale.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes Sir, basically $100 in materials and once you have the mold/jig it is easy and some are selling $700+

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since when do Democrats cut taxes? I would love to see this happen. Have not seen politicians lining up behind it.

If they take off the NFA requirement, you should be allowed to make your own!

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Havent heard anything on this. Is it dead?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since VB mass murderer used a suppressor on one of his handguns, this will never see the light of day again. IMHO. Reportedly used "extended mags", we'll here crap about that too.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even though police said they followed gunshot noises to locate the shooter. Media likes to use movie word of "silencer" rather than suppressor cause it sounds more dangerous and sinister.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Even though police said they followed gunshot noises to locate the shooter. Media likes to use movie word of "silencer" rather than suppressor cause it sounds more dangerous and sinister.

80% of americans believe a shot from a SILENCER equipped gun is like: psstt...pssttt that you can't hear over 5 ' away

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

First lines of that op-ed:

"What ends lives? Gunfire.
    What saves lives? The sound of gunfire."

Huh? Really? So, the unarmed targets will be saved quicker if the criminal isn't using a suppressor. And who, pray tell, is running towards the sound of gunfire to save the "helpless victims"?

Oh that's right: GOOD GUYS WITH GUNS.

My bad. I forgot: how can the good guys with guns possibly know where to go, if the bad guys have suppressors.

Hmm... if only the UNarmed targets WEREN'T. Then they would instantaneously become Armed Response who already knows exactly where the bad guys are! Oh, but that's right, can't have John Q Public walking around armed. We want the government to protect us...

What another crock of anti-gun insane "logic" BS.

Those first lines SHOULD read:

"What ends lives? Uncontested evil.
    What saves lives? Armed good guys willing to act."

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    80% of americans believe a shot from a SILENCER equipped gun is like: psstt...pssttt that you can't hear over 5 ' away

Maybe not movie movie quiet but it's pretty dam quiet. The brass being ejected and hitting something is usually just as loud or louder.

Don't believe me. Come check it out. I will let you try the HK MP5 SD or my Rem 700 .308 with some special sub loads I make suppressed. I would consider them movie quiet.

:)

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I'd love to see it happen but won't be holding my breath for it.

Top Bottom