• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so bought a A17 new few months back and just got around to shooting it first week in August about the 10th or so. (with Stagman) It would drop the mag after about three shots and either fall to the ground or fall just a little and jam the next round. So I held the mag in with my left hand and after 3 shots it went full auto on me with 3 rounds after 1 trigger pull. Needless to say that was the end of shooting it for the day.

Sent it to savage on their dime. They sent a UPS truck to my house next day or so. Went out on the 12 of Aug.

Received it back today Aug 25 (so less than 2 week turn around) and called to see what they did cause box did not have any info in or on it.

Talked to Savage they replaced the entire fire assembly and recoil spring and gave me a new mag plus polished the feed ramp and put 100 rounds through it then cleaned it. Also sent factory mag back and lady said it should work right also now with new fire assembly.

Ill update yall once I have a day free that im not on a boat!

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Stanley, I have same cal. but a marlin, haven't shot it yet. Do you still have the 50 cal.???

I do still have the 50 BMG and just bought some ammo last week at $2.21 each and they were not reman. Also I love the .17 HMR caliber and have a few but this A17 was suppose the be the GOD of reliable semi auto HMR's. Has been a flop so far but the 2 week turn around time and service was amazing. And they answer the phone in English!!!

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My mag drops outs too. I just bought a replacement mag last weekend and hope to try it out this weekend. I'm trying not to send it in but......

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what i gathered

My mag drops outs too. I just bought a replacement mag last weekend and hope to try it out this weekend. I'm trying not to send it in but......

From what i gathered its not the mag that is the culprit but the fire assembly. They threw in an additional mag for me for good measure I believe. Best of luck to ya.......

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I got to try out my other mag today, functioned with out any failures and it never fell out. Before I left the house I noticed that it did lock in tighter and I couldn't push it out the mag well with my finger through the open bolt like my old one.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My A17 had the mag problems. I bought a new mag at Academy and I called Savage and they sent me a new one. Used CCI A17 ammo and Hornady with no real problems. With the old mag it would fall out sometimes or fail to feed. Seems to be ok now got it dialed in at 100 yds. very quickly.

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So have the repairs fixed your problems Stanley?

Sadly I have been Duck hunting (Teal) and not had the opportunity to shoot it yet. Rough life with so many hobbies. I hope to soon since Raccoons are in season now.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thought I would update me experiences since I've had a few more shoots with the A17. My previous mag that use to fall out now magically seems to work fine and lock in fine. My A17 now has a failure to load with both mags. It will shoot, eject, cycle without grabbing a round and closes the chamber empty and will dry fire. I have since cleaned it real good although it's not dirty in there and I hope to have better luck next time. I am using the recommended A17 ammo.

Top Bottom