• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If anyone is concerned about over-penetration, 40 grain varmint bullets are the ticket. The mag in my HD carbine has 9 rounds of varmint, 9 rounds of fmj, and 9 rounds of penetrators.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    No way man, I am SOOO done. 1911's and ARs for me, thank you! Why? Because they work. At least for me.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FWIW, and if I hadn't made it clear, I am DONE with shitguns. Jmo. Lol

If I really decide I need a thumper, it'll be a 458, Beowulf or even my 308. NOT 12ga.

So, do you have a Wilson Combat Pump that you'd like to sell real cheap?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So, do you have a Wilson Combat Pump that you'd like to sell real cheap?
    I do, but it needs to go back and be sorted out. Likely have the chamber polished. I ethically can't sell something that I know isn't 100%.
    It ate slugs just fine, but just refused to cycle the cheap target low brass. Snobby b*tch! Lol.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Cheap target loads in a gun that is probably more then my house payment.. Lol its probably saying WTH is this crap your feeding me?

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I got to do this time was watch but I think it would have beem alot more fun to shoot slugs or shot which ever and then change.,or maybe put the pistol in the middle.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    All I got to do this time was watch but I think it would have beem alot more fun to shoot slugs or shot which ever and then change.,or maybe put the pistol in the middle.
    Not that it would've helped my situation, but that's kinda what I was planning on doing It. 7 birds, 2 slugs, 2 birds, 2 slugs, doing combat reloads for the last 6 rounds. Then pistol.
    Regardless, the whole match was a lot of fun. Hopefully a carbine side match next month, where I can finally run my 308.

Rook850

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I enjoyed the shotgun side match. Having to swap out shot for a slug taught me not to put my slug caddy next to my pistol mags. Moving as fast I can I came up with the wrong one, i.e., I found the first thing on my belt and it came free when tugged. By the time my brain registered it was not the right shape etc., it was at the ejection port and already being dropped to the ground (consciously thinking poop, I probably should pick that up).

At the match, we had several pump shotguns that had difficulty ejecting a spent case. I think those shotguns were the ones on the sunny side of the gun rack. While there are a number of reasons that will cause a round to stick in the chamber, I think the issue everyone had was simply heat. It looked like it took the same amount of time for each person to extract the round (cool off), chamber a new one, fire (reheating the barrel), and deal with another stuck round. Originally I thought it was an ammo issue but so many had the same issue but they were running different makes and ammo. I then thought it might have been the difference between high brass vs low brass but that is still a heat issue (more brass to stick). Since shotguns are not known for their tight match chambers and resizing issues, I think it is just related to the amount of force needed to extract the round (and not tear the brass in half) from a hot gun. So I don't think there was any real issue with any of the shotguns at the match, just an awareness that anything in direct sunlight has the potential to cause problems. As I get older (and weaker) i'm going to let the gas gun do the work at extracting the round. I'm just going to focus on getting shotgun shells in and not 9mm.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Well, I polished the chamber today. Just in case. Lol
    So... Tim is to blame then. I can go with that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom