• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    starting this thread for posting positive articles about our nation's finest warriors, and related articles of bravery by those in the face of extreme danger.....
    at the time i first posted this on another forum, this man was still alive, passed away march 2, 2012

by the way, you do not "win"this medal, you earn it...

:amen:

moh.jpg

BARFOOT, VAN T.
    Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Carano, Italy, 23 May 1944. Entered service at: Carthage, Miss. Birth: Edinburg, Miss. G.O. No.: 79, 4 October 1944. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

****side note, this MOH soldier is still alive and still fighting, see below;​

And the anti American flag drumbeat in this country continues.
    Col. Van T. Barfoot, a 90 year old Medal of Honor recipient and veteran of three wars, has been ordered by his Henrico, Virginia home owner association to remove a flagpole in the yard of his home by Friday afternoon or he will face legal action and related fees if he refuses to do so.
    A law firm representing the HOA sent Col. Barfoot a letter claiming he was in violation of his community’s covenants, conditions and restrictions even though his daughter says there are no specific prohibitions on flagpoles in the CC&Rs. Evidently people on the HOA board responsible for enforcing the CC&Rs felt that Col. Barfoot’s flagpole was aesthetically offensive so they ordered him to remove it back in July, probably hoping to get the thing out of the ground just in time for Independence Day celebrations.
    To date Col. Barfoot has resisted efforts to force him to tear down his flagpole but at 90 years old and up against the juggernaut of an unbending HOA group and a law firm that couldn’t resist the opportunity to harass one of the few remaining Medal of Honor recipients left in our country in exchange for a few dollars (paid for in part by his own HOA dues) time is surely running out for the military veteran who, according to the U.S. government, bravely and unselfishly put his life on the line in defense of our country.
    This appears to be yet another assault against our flag here in America by people who clearly hate or are terribly confused about what this country and her stars and stripes truly stand for.
    Hopefully word of this outrageous situation will quickly circulate throughout our country and enough pressure will be brought to bear on the Sussex Square community HOA board in Henrico Virginia that they will pull their arrogant heads out of their collective asses and cut this honorable veteran of three wars and man who earned the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government some slack here.

let's hope he wins this..

P.S.

i hate homeowner associations....bunch of condo commando wannbe's

caveman

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    moh.jpg

*ABRELL, CHARLES G.
    Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, Company E, 2d Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein.). Place and date: Hangnyong, Korea, 10 June 1951. Entered service at: Terre Haute, Ind. Born: 12 August 1931, Terre Haute, Ind. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a fire team leader in Company E, in action against enemy aggressor forces. While advancing with his platoon in an attack against well-concealed and heavily fortified enemy hill positions, Cpl. Abrell voluntarily rushed forward through the assaulting squad which was pinned down by a hail of intense and accurate automatic-weapons fire from a hostile bunker situated on commanding ground. Although previously wounded by enemy hand grenade fragments, he proceeded to carry out a bold, single-handed attack against the bunker, exhorting his comrades to follow him. Sustaining 2 additional wounds as he stormed toward the emplacement, he resolutely pulled the pin from a grenade clutched in his hand and hurled himself bodily into the bunker with the live missile still in his grasp. Fatally wounded in the resulting explosion which killed the entire enemy guncrew within the stronghold, Cpl. Abrell, by his valiant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of certain death, served to inspire all his comrades and contributed directly to the success of his platoon in attaining its objective. His superb courage and heroic initiative sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.​

he became the grenade..amazing..
    caveman

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This man's son worked for me. Has a destroyer named for him. His son Daryl was a Pensacola Native - he never spoke of his father's heroic's. Really smart kid - eye sight kept him from following his father's footsteps.

LASSEN, CLYDE EVERETT

Rank and organization: Lieutenant, U.S. Navy, Helicopter Support Squadron 7, Detachment 104, embarked in U.S.S. Preble (DLG-15). Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 19 June 1968. Entered service at: Jacksonville, Fla. Born: 14 March 1942, Fort Myers, Fla.
    Citation:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as pilot and aircraft commander of a search and rescue helicopter, attached to Helicopter Support Squadron 7, during operations against enemy forces in North Vietnam. Launched shortly after midnight to attempt the rescue of 2 downed aviators, Lt. (then Lt. (j.g.)) Lassen skillfully piloted his aircraft over unknown and hostile terrain to a steep, tree-covered hill on which the survivors had been located. Although enemy fire was being directed at the helicopter, he initially landed in a clear area near the base of the hill, but, due to the dense undergrowth, the survivors could not reach the helicopter. With the aid of flare illumination, Lt. Lassen successfully accomplished a hover between 2 trees at the survivors' position Illumination was abruptly lost as the last of the flares were expended, and the helicopter collided with a tree, commencing a sharp descent. Expertly righting his aircraft and maneuvering clear, Lt. Lassen remained in the area, determined to make another rescue attempt, and encouraged the downed aviators while awaiting resumption of flare illumination. After another unsuccessful, illuminated rescue attempt, and with his fuel dangerously low and his aircraft significantly damaged, he launched again and commenced another approach in the face of the continuing enemy opposition. When flare illumination was again lost, Lt. Lassen, fully aware of the dangers in clearly revealing his position to the enemy, turned on his landing lights and completed the landing. On this attempt, the survivors were able to make their way to the helicopter. En route to the coast he encountered and successfully evaded additional hostile antiaircraft fire and, with fuel for only 5 minutes of flight remaining, landed safely aboard U.S.S. Jouett (DLG-29) .

USS Lassen
    Sea Devils

COAT OF ARMS
    Coat of Arms The Shield

Dark blue and gold are the colors traditionally used by the Navy. The Aegis shield highlights the modern weaponry of the USS LASSEN. The blue chevron recalls LT Lassen's service in the coastal campaign during the Vietnam War. It also simulates the prow of a ship, alluding to the first LASSEN's mission as an ammunition ship, which re-armed many of the major fleets. The heraldic sea lion symbolizes the strength and courage, demonstrated by LT Lassen. The chevron suggests the Medal of Honor awarded for LT Lassen's heroism, above and beyond the call of duty, for the rescue of two aviators. The compass rose symbolizes the landing lights of his helicopter, while rescuing the aviators, revealing his position to the enemy, when illumination was lost.

The Crest

The palm fronds suggest the first LASSEN's area of operations in the Pacific; the lightning flashes symbolize striking capabilities and refer to the first LASSEN's service in World War II, rearming many of the major fleets. The trident's three tines represent battle stars earned during World War II in the Pacific as well as denoting the multifaceted offensive/defensive armament of the present DDG 82.

SEA DEVILS

Sea Devils logo

The Lassen Crew are called "Sea Devils". The Sea Devil moniker is taken from HC-7, CDR Lassen's unit during the Vietnam war.

Last edited:

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I look at these types of men as role models in life. I served in the Army and while I did what I was asked, I can only look at these men and wish I'd been asked to do more, and pray that I would have been up to the task the way they were. We really need to make these names household names, but I think the citizens of today care little to know them or what they did.

The greatest.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I look at these types of men as role models in life. I served in the Army and while I did what I was asked, I can only look at these men and wish I'd been asked to do more, and pray that I would have been up to the task the way they were. We really need to make these names household names, but I think the citizens of today care little to know them or what they did.

The greatest.

yes, it is hard to read some of these without a lump in your throat, or tear in your eye, to read what these men did in an instant, without thinking it thru.....

i have read one i am looking for it now, will actually make you laugh....if you can imagine a MOH story doing that...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i found it...MOH soldier, probably a make do country boy earned this medal with common sense.

BROWN, MELVIN L.

Organization: U.S. Army

Company: Company D
    Division: 8th Engineer Combat Battalion

Born: Mahaffey, Pa.
    Departed: Yes

Entered Service At: Erie, Pa.
    G.O. Number: 11

Date of Issue: 02/16/1951
    Accredited To:

Place / Date: Near Kasan, Korea, 4 September 1950

u-s-army.jpg

Citation
    Pfc. Brown, Company D distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. While his platoon was securing Hill 755 (the Walled City), the enemy, using heavy automatic weapons and small arms, counterattacked. Taking a position on a 50-foot-high wall he delivered heavy rifle fire on the enemy. His ammunition was soon expended and although wounded, he remained at his post and threw his few grenades into the attackers causing many casualties. When his supply of grenades was exhausted his comrades from nearby foxholes tossed others to him and he left his position, braving a hail of fire, to retrieve and throw them at the enemy. The attackers continued to assault his position and Pfc. Brown weaponless, drew his entrenching tool from his pack and calmly waited until they 1 by 1 peered over the wall, delivering each a crushing blow upon the head. Knocking 10 or 12 enemy from the wall, his daring action so inspired his platoon that they repelled the attack and held their position. Pfc. Brown's extraordinary heroism, gallantry, and intrepidity reflect the highest credit upon himself and was in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service. Reportedly missing in action and officially killed in action, September 5, 1950.

God rest his soul.

i can just hear the enemy now,: ...you go look..no, you go look, not me, he kill 5 with shovel...not me, you go, i outrank you...

thud, another one bites the dust....

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Human wave tactics at it's finest.
    But this lesson is one we can all take to heart, in all situations and aspects: never give up. Never ever. Keep going. Exhaust all options. Exhaust everyone else's options. Then think outside the box. Then do something crazy. But don't give up.

Actually, that's pretty much the theme of Medal of Honor recipients, and just about any accommodation earned through valor in combat. Don't give up. Keep going. Don't quit.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Human wave tactics at it's finest.
    But this lesson is one we can all take to heart, in all situations and aspects: never give up. Never ever. Keep going. Exhaust all options. Exhaust everyone else's options. Then think outside the box. Then do something crazy. But don't give up.

Actually, that's pretty much the theme of Medal of Honor recipients, and just about any accommodation earned through valor in combat. Don't give up. Keep going. Don't quit.

can't say for sure, but i know it was a boxer, who while being knocked down, and almost out several times in a heavyweight match (foreman? ) finally won with a strong right hand, knocked his opponent out, who had been winning on point, crowd appeal and talent...

when asked if his "lucky" right won the match, he said, no, getting back up each time won the match...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    [h=4]SAKATO, GEORGE T.[/h]

Company: Company E, 3d Platoon
    Division: 442 Regimental Combat Team

Born: 19 February 1921 Colton, CA
    Departed: Yes (12/02/2015)

Entered Service At:
    G.O. Number:

Date of Issue: 06/21/2000
    Accredited To: Glendale, AZ

Place / Date: Hill 617 Biffontaine, France, 29 October, 1944

2980.jpg

Citation
    Private George T. Sakato distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 29 October 1944, on hill 617 in the vicinity of Biffontaine, France. After his platoon had virtually destroyed two enemy defense lines, during which he personally killed five enemy soldiers and captured four, his unit was pinned down by heavy enemy fire. Disregarding the enemy fire, Private Sakato made a one-man rush that encouraged his platoon to charge and destroy the enemy strongpoint. While his platoon was reorganizing, he proved to be the inspiration of his squad in halting a counter-attack on the left flank during which his squad leader was killed. Taking charge of the squad, he continued his relentless tactics, using an enemy rifle and P-38 pistol to stop an organized enemy attack. During this entire action, he killed 12 and wounded two, personally captured four and assisted his platoon in taking 34 prisoners. By continuously ignoring enemy fire, and by his gallant courage and fighting spirit, he turned impending defeat into victory and helped his platoon complete its mission. Private Sakato's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    American Jewish servicemen fighting Nazi troops during World War II faced even greater dangers than their non-Jewish comrades. If they fell into enemy hands, Germany didn’t treat them as ordinary POWs with the attendant rights demanded by the Geneva Conventions. Instead, Jewish prisoners were handled the way Germans handled all Jews: they were dispatched to death or slave labor camps, with little chance of survival. The American Army even advised its Jewish troops to destroy their dog tags and other identifying documents if captured by Nazi forces.
    The group of over a thousand American soldiers were captured in late 1944 and early 1945 in the Battle of the Bulge and transported to the Stalag IXA POW camp near Ziegenhain, Germany. One of their first orders was to separate out the Jewish troops and present them to their German captors.
    The German camp commander, Major Siegmann, delivered the order in English to the ranking American serviceman in the camp. This was Master Sergeant Roddie Edmonds, a stocky 24-year-old from Knoxville Tennessee. Remembered by his fellow troops from basic training as a gentle, unassuming soldier, Sgt. Edmonds might have seemed an unlikely candidate for the heroism he was about to display.
    According to his son, Rev. Chris Edmonds, who has spent years speaking with witnesses and piecing together what happened that day on January 27, 1945, instead of ordering Jewish troops front and center, Sgt. Edmonds turned to his men and said, “We are not doing that, we are all falling out.”
    “They cannot all be Jews!” Sgt. Edmonds replied, “We are all Jews.”​
    Commanding all the Americans in the POW camp to stand at attention in front of their barracks, Sgt. Edmonds placed himself front and center. Lester Tanner, a Jewish soldier who served with Sgt. Edmonds, later recalled the scene: “I would estimate that there were more than 1,000 Americans standing in wide formation in front of the barracks, with Master Sergeant Roddie Edmonds standing in front, with several senior non-coms beside him, of which I was one.”
    Major Siegmann strode up to Sgt. Edmonds. “They cannot all be Jews!”
    Sgt. Edmonds replied to the commander, “We are all Jews.”
    Enraged, Siegmann took out his pistol and threatened to shoot Sgt. Edmonds. Facing immediate death, Edmonds refused to back down and betray the Jews under his command.
    “According to the Geneva Convention, we only have to give our name, rank and serial number,” Sgt. Edmonds replied, and recited them. “If you shoot me, you will have to shoot all of us and after the war you will be tried for war crimes.”
    Paul Stern, a Jewish POW who was standing nearby, recalled those stirring words that saved his life. “Although 70 years have passed, I can still hear the words (Sgt. Edmonds) said to the German camp commander.”
    After a moment, the Commandant turned and walked away.
    Sgt. Roddie Edmond’s son estimates that his father’s actions saved the lives of over 200 American soldiers in the POW camp.
    Master+Sergeant+Roddie+Edmonds.jpg
    Master Sergeant Roddie Edmonds of the US 422nd Infantry Regiment.​
    After the war, Roddie Edmonds never mentioned his heroism that day, nor later in the war, when, according to his son, he again told American POWs to resist German orders and not embark on a death march as Allied troops closed in. It was only after he died in 1985 at the age of 64 that his children began to slowly uncover their father’s remarkable wartime deeds.
    When Roddie Edmonds’ daughter decided to make a video about her late father’s life for a college project, her mother showed her diaries he had kept in Stalag IXA. These contained some musings about daily life in the POW camp, but mostly contained the names and addresses of the troops in his care, which Edmonds had laboriously recorded.
    Edmonds’ son, Chris, says he was blown away by what he read and stayed up that night searching these names on the Internet. The very first article he read gave him his first inkling that his father was a war hero. Searching for Lester Tanner, the soldier who’d stood side by side in formation with Roddie Edmonds, yielded an old article about Tanner, now a prominent New York attorney, selling his New York townhouse to Richard Nixon. The article contained a fascinating aside: Tanner mentioned that an American Sergeant, Roddie Edmonds, had saved his life and the life of other American Jewish servicemen during World War II.
    Chris contacted Tanner, as well as several other witnesses, and slowly pieced together the story of his father’s wartime heroism. Thanks to his work, on December 2, 2015, Master Sergeant Roddie Edmonds was honored by the State of Israel as “Righteous Among the Nations,” the first American serviceman so honored.
    Chris Edmonds jokes that his father “must have had a superhero cape in his closet” but Roddie Edmonds’ dedication to his fellow men seems to have been a deep, fundamental value.
    Avner Shalev, Chairman of Yad Vashem, points out that Sgt. Edmonds “seemed like an ordinary American soldier, but he had an extraordinary sense of responsibility and dedication to his fellow human beings.” His son concurs: “My father always had a strong sense of duty, of responsibility to his fellow human being, whoever they were…He was a man of great religious faith and an unwavering moral code and set of values to which he was completely dedicated.”
    That moral code gave Sgt. Edmonds the strength to face death and risk his life to save others. It gave him the courage one cold morning to stand up to a POW Commandant who held the power of life and death in his hands and declare: “We are all Jews.”

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Most decorated soldier of wwII

we have all heard of this man, but I thought I would list the awards so people could see what a real hero is.....not john McCain, he served honorably, but being shot down does not a hero make....

simple man, who rose to the challenge and exceeded expections....a true warrior, but a small unimposing man physically, but a giant in actions :usa:

Murphy's Awards

MoH.jpg

Medal of Honor
    Earned: 26 January 1945
    Awarded: 2 June 1945
    Earned by Audie Murphy for his heroism on 26 January 1945, during the battle of Colmar Pocket, Holtzwihr, France.

DSC.jpg

Distinguished Service Cross
    Earned: 15 August 1944
    Awarded: 5 March 1945
    Earned by Audie Murphy for action near Ramatuelle, France shortly after the 3rd Infantry Division's amphibious landing in southern France.

SStar.jpg

Silver Star
    1st Award: 2 October 1944
    2nd Award: 5 October 1944
    This award was earned near Cleurie Quarry, France when Audie Murphy destroyed a machine gun emplacement that had pinned down a group of officers. The second award was earned several days later near Le Tholy, France when Audie Murphy crawled ahead of friendly lines to direct artillery on a strongly emplaced enemy emplacement.

LoM.jpg

Legion of Merit
    Presented: 2 June 1945
    Earned "for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services in Italy and France, as Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Leader and Company Commander of Company "B", 15th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division, from 22 January 1944 to 18 February 1945."

BStar.jpg

Bronze Star
    1st Award: 2 March 1944
    2nd Award: 8 May 1944
    Device: 'V' for Valor
    The first award was earned for heroism during on the Anzio Beachhead invasion in Italy. The second award was earned during the Anzio Beachhead when Audie Murphy crawled forward of friendly lines to destroy a partly disabled enemy tank using several rifle grenades.

PH.jpg

Purple Heart
    1st Award: 15 September 1944
    2nd Award: 26 October 1944
    3rd Award: 25 January 1945

OCSM.jpg

Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
    Presented for contribution of his professional services to the United States Army in the production of the Department of the Army motion picture "The Broken Bridge". (See Army Regulation 672-20, para. 9-3).

GCM.jpg

Good Conduct Medal
    Awarded: 8 May 1944 in Italy

DUE.jpg

Distinguished Unit Emblem
    (Current Name: Presidential Unit Citation)
    Unit (1st Award): 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment
    Unit (2nd Award): 3rd Infantry Division
    The first award was earned for action seen by the Soldiers of 1-15 Infantry Battalion at Montelimar, France from 27-29 August 1944. The second award was earned by the by the Soldiers of 3rd Infantry Division for action seen at the Colmar Pocket, France from 22 January - 6 February 1945.

ACM.jpg

American Campaign Medal
    Earned for service within the American Theater between 7 December 1941 and 2 March 1946 to those who were on permanent assignment outside the continental limits of the United States and because of active combat against an enemy resulting in the awarding of a combat decoration and/or certificate.

E-A-MECM.jpg

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
    Awarded for service within the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater between 7 December 1941 and 8 November 1945. Eight total Bronze Battle Stars were earned for participation in combat campaigns at Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. When the fifth bronze battle star was earned, a silver battle Star was issued to represent the first five awards. The bronze arrowhead was earned for participation of amphibious landings in Sicily and Southern France.

WWIIVM.jpg

World War II Victory Medal
    Awarded for military service between 7 December 1941 and 31 December 1946. (See Army Regulation 600-8-22, para. 5-12)

AOM.jpg

Army of Occupation Medal
    Awarded for 30 consecutive days service at a normal post of duty while assigned to the Army of Occupation of Germany between 9 May 1945 and 5 May 1955. If the 30 day qualifying period was served between 9 May and 8 November 1945, a Soldier must have earned the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal before the Army of Occupation Medal could be awarded. A clasp with "Germany" inscribed is on it was authorized to wear with the medal. (See Army Regulation 600-8-22, para. 5-11)

AFRM.jpg

Armed Forces Reserve Medal
    For award to military personnel whose Reserve Component service has been primarily in the organized Reserve or in the National Guard. Service must be honorable for a period of 10 years within a 12 consecutive year period of time. (See Army Regulation 600-8-22, para. 5-8)

CIB.jpg

Combat Infantryman Badge
    Awarded in Italy, 8 May 1944.

MB.jpg

Marksmanship Badge
    Awarded September 1942 while at Camp Wolters, Texas.

EMB-BB.jpg

Expert Marksmanship Badge with Bayonet Bar
    Awarded September 1942 while at Camp Wolters, Texas.

FFCCdG.jpg

French Fourragere, Colors of the Croix de Guerre
    Awarded: 20 February 1945
    Awarded by France to U.S. Army service members for heroism or exceptionally meritorious service in direct support of military operations during the Battle of the Colmar Pocket.

FLHGC.jpg

French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier
    Awarded: 19 July 1948
    Presented to Audie Murphy on a visit to France in 1948.

FCdG-SStar.jpg

French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star
    Awarded: 16 April 1945
    Presented to Audie Murphy at Dallas, Texas "for exceptional service rendered in the course of operations in the liberation of France."

FCdG-Palm.jpg

French Croix de Guerre with Palm
    Awarded: 19 July 1948
    Presented to Audie Murphy on a visit to France in 1948.

BCdG-Palm.jpg

Belgian Croix de Guerre with 1940 Palm
    Awarded: 10 December 1955
    Earned "for exceptional acts of bravery facing the enemy during WW II."

MLF.jpg

Medal of Liberated France
    Year Awarded: 1947
    The French Liberation Medal, created in 1947, is a French Republic decoration earned and issued to any person, military or civilian, who actively participated in the Liberation of France during World War II. Eligible recipients include any Allied or French Soldier who fought on French soil during the war.

Audie_Murphy3.jpg

autograph.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I take exception the the above wording ---> "but being shot down does not a hero make ..."

For John Mc Cain being shot down has little to do with him being a hero. It allowed him to become a hero. It brought out the hero in him.

It was his actions while a POW that made him a hero ..... at least in my mind.

At one point in my career I worked for (my CO) an officer that was a POW in the same place,at the same time,as John Mc Cain. I heard the stories first hand. I wish you could have had that extreme privilege,that honor,that humbling.--- SAWMAN

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we have all heard of this man, but I thought I would list the awards so people could see what a real hero is.....not john McCain, he served honorably, but being shot down does not a hero make....

I have no love at all for McCain, but that statement is at best uneducated and ignorant.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bob Kerrey is/was a Dem. He has always voted against the things that I never thought that he would vote for. He was the Dem gov of Nebraska.

He was also a recipient of the Medal Of Honor(and others). His valor is not even thought about by most men. I have the utmost admiration and respect for this man but I absolutely disagree with his politics and would never ever vote for him. Another great man ..... turned politician ..... however ..... still a great man. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have no love at all for McCain, but that statement is at best uneducated and ignorant.

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

I have the utmost respect for his service, and the way he acted, as top ranking officer in the pow camp, he did what a soldier, a commanding officer should do....and the torture he endured without breaking is held in the highest regard by me...

but to call him a hero because of that, I do not believe is right...note, I have never heard him refer to himself as a hero, I am speaking of other referring to him as one. I salute his service and actions...I do not like his moderate rino politics, but he is a gentleman...and an officer....I was just a 3 yrs shy of having to go to Vietnam, as it ended before I came of that age.

I guess when you come right down to it, anyone going to battle without running, is a sort of a hero, although a great many of those who went will not accept that.they say...the real heroes are the ones who died doing their jobs...

there are several here on this forum, I would share a foxhole with without question to watch my back, and I will not name them,and the brotherhood of the soldier in all of the services is a sacred thing imo..

I did not mean to disparage any by my choice of words, but I too have my thoughts and opinions...fwiw.. I have been around the military all of my life, navy father, retired chief, and mother who worked for the navy, and my work involves the military, all branches...over 40 yrs now as well as foreign friendly governments on occasion.

that is why I spotlight these MOH soldiers, they humble me, astound me, and amaze me with their stories....most will bring a lump to my throat reading them...

caveman

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Bob Kerrey is/was a Dem. He has always voted against the things that I never thought that he would vote for. He was the Dem gov of Nebraska.

He was also a recipient of the Medal Of Honor(and others). His valor is not even thought about by most men. I have the utmost admiration and respect for this man but I absolutely disagree with his politics and would never ever vote for him. Another great man ..... turned politician ..... however ..... still a great man. --- SAWMAN

I assume this is the man you speak of. I remember him, but had forgotten he holds a MOH.

yes, a hero
    [h=4]KERREY, JOSEPH R.[/h] Rank: Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    Organization: U.S. Navy

Company:
    Division: SEAL

Born: 27 August 1943, Lincoln, Nebr.
    Departed: No

Entered Service At: Omaha, Nebr.
    G.O. Number:

Date of Issue: 05/14/1970
    Accredited To: Omaha, NE

Place / Date: Near Nha Trang Bay, Republic of Vietnam, 14 March 1969

3329.jpg

Citation
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a SEAL team leader during action against enemy aggressor (Viet Cong) forces. Acting in response to reliable intelligence, Lt. (J.G..) Kerrey led his SEAL team on a mission to capture important members of the enemy's area political cadre known to be located on an island in the bay of Nha Trang. In order to surprise the enemy, he and his team scaled a 350-foot sheer cliff to place themselves above the ledge on which the enemy was located. Splitting his team in 2 elements and coordinating both, Lt. (J.G..) Kerrey led his men in the treacherous downward descent to the enemy's camp. Just as they neared the end of their descent, intense enemy fire was directed at them, and Lt. (J.G.) Kerrey received massive injuries from a grenade which exploded at his feet and threw him backward onto the jagged rocks. Although bleeding profusely and suffering great pain, he displayed outstanding courage and presence of mind in immediately directing his element's fire into the heart of the enemy camp. Utilizing his radioman, Lt. (J.G.) Kerrey called in the second element's fire support which caught the confused Viet Cong in a devastating crossfire. After successfully suppressing the enemy's fire, and although immobilized by his multiple wounds, he continued to maintain calm, superlative control as he ordered his team to secure and defend an extraction site. Lt. (J.G.) Kerrey resolutely directed his men, despite his near unconscious state, until he was eventually evacuated by helicopter. The havoc brought to the enemy by this very successful mission cannot be over-estimated. The enemy soldiers who were captured provided critical intelligence to the allied effort. Lt. (J.G.) Kerrey's courageous and inspiring leadership, valiant fighting spirit, and tenacious devotion to duty in the face of almost overwhelming opposition sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    [h=4]McCLEERY, FINNIS D.[/h] Rank: Platoon Sergeant

Company: Company A, 1st Battalion
    Division: 6th U.S. Infantry

Born: 25 December 1927, Stephenville, Tex.
    Departed: Yes

Entered Service At: San Angelo, Tex.
    G.O. Number:

Date of Issue:
    Accredited To:

Place / Date: Quang Tin province, Republic of Vietnam, 14 May 1968

u-s-army.jpg

Citation
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. P/Sgt. McCleery, U.S. Army, distinguished himself while serving as platoon leader of the 1st platoon of Company A. A combined force was assigned the mission of assaulting a reinforced company of North Vietnamese Army regulars, well entrenched on Hill 352, 17 miles west of Tam Ky. As P/Sgt. McCleery led his men up the hill and across an open area to close with the enemy, his platoon and other friendly elements were pinned down by tremendously heavy fire coming from the fortified enemy positions. Realizing the severe damage that the enemy could inflict on the combined force in the event that their attack was completely halted, P/Sgt. McCleery rose from his sheltered position and began a 1-man assault on the bunker complex. With extraordinary courage, he moved across 60 meters of open ground as bullets struck all around him and rockets and grenades literally exploded at his feet. As he came within 30 meters of the key enemy bunker, P/Sgt. McCleery began firing furiously from the hip and throwing hand grenades. At this point in his assault, he was painfully wounded by shrapnel, but, with complete disregard for his wound, he continued his advance on the key bunker and killed all of its occupants. Having successfully and single-handedly breached the enemy perimeter, he climbed to the top of the bunker he had just captured and, in full view of the enemy, shouted encouragement to his men to follow his assault. As the friendly forces moved forward, P/Sgt. McCleery began a lateral assault on the enemy bunker line. He continued to expose himself to the intense enemy fire as he moved from bunker to bunker, destroying each in turn. He was wounded a second time by shrapnel as he destroyed and routed the enemy from the hill. P/Sgt. McCleery is personally credited with eliminating several key enemy positions and inspiring the assault that resulted in gaining control of Hill 352. His extraordinary heroism at the risk of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, was in keeping with the highest standards of the military service, and reflects great credit on him, the Americal Division, and the U.S. Army.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The*President of the United States*takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS ARTHUR J. JACKSON
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the Third Battalion, Seventh Marines, First Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on the Island of Peleliu in the Palau Group, September 18, 1944. Boldly taking the initiative when his platoon's left flank advance was held up by the fire of Japanese troops concealed in strongly fortified positions, Private First Class Jackson unhesitatingly proceeded forward of our lines and, courageously defying the heavy barrages, charged a large pillbox housing approximately thirty-five enemy soldiers. Pouring his automatic fire into the opening of the fixed installation to trap the occupying troops, he hurled white phosphorus grenades and explosive charges brought up by a fellow Marine, demolishing the pillbox and killing all of the enemy. Advancing alone under the continuous fire from other hostile emplacements, he employed a similar means to smash two smaller positions in the immediate vicinity. Determined to crush the entire pocket of resistance although harassed on all sides by the shattering blasts of Japanese weapons and covered only by small rifle parties, he stormed one gun position after another, dealing death and destruction to the savagely fighting enemy in his inexorable drive against the remaining defenses and succeeded in wiping out a total of twelve pillboxes and fifty Japanese soldiers. Stouthearted and indomitable despite the terrific odds, Private First Class Jackson resolutely maintained control of the platoon's left flank movement throughout his valiant one-man assault and, by his cool decision and relentless fighting spirit during a critical situation, contributed essentially to the complete annihilation of the enemy in the southern sector of the island. His gallant initiative and heroic conduct in the face of extreme peril reflect the highest credit upon Private First Class Jackson and the*United States Naval Service.

My Wife and I were Liason and Escorts for Capt Jackson and his Lady (a very strong and protective woman) for a few days. A quiet and humble man. Late on the second night having cocktails, he said most folks ask about the details of MOH before as soon as they shake my hand. I responded it is not for people to ask but yours keep or share as desired. There was a long pause and he was distracted in deep thought. He finally said he never remembered the entire event, just a few "still photo" images and total exhaustion to the point he could not move afterwords. When told the extent of what he had done he did not believe them. He said many men did more and gave of themselves, only God keeps that record.

More at:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_J._Jackson

Top Bottom