• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ordered some Freedom Munition 308 175g HPBT remanufactured ammo and it finally came in but turned out they sent the wrong ammo. I didn't notice it was 168g HPBT until after I left the range putting 16 rounds down range. I'm sure that I looked at it but it didn't click in my head that it wasn't what I ordered. Anyhow, on to the review.

Remington 700 sps tactical 16.5" threaded barrel on a Caldwell bipod, Weaver 20mm riser, Leopold rings, and a Vortex Crossfire ii 3-9-50 illuminated scope with v-brite reticle.

My goal at the range today was to see how well it would group while also trying to zero in the scope. I also get asked about the grouping of this rifle and i never have a good answer. I just haven't shoot it enough to really know. Other than the Freedom ammo, I shot a few rounds of ZQ1 to make sure that I was on paper at 50 yards. Then put five rounds of Federal 168g HPBT match ammo at 100 yards towards the end of the session.

Trigger thoughts: I have recently gotten used to shooting AR10's with 3.5# 2-stage triggers. The guesstimated 3.5# single stage on the Remington sucked in comparison to the 1.2# part of the second stage of the AR10 triggers. If this rifle sticks in my collection it will get an adjustable Jewell or something similar. Having said that it does have a respectable crisp trigger pull and isn't too long of a pull. More trigger time and I might even be okay shot with it without swapping triggers.

Scope thoughts: It's a Vortex... Enough said... $210 scope with decent glass and the illumination would be good if the shooting range were ever open at dawn or dusk and I were shooting paper deer targets. I have put an estimated 36 rounds of 308 down range with no scope problems between two rifles. Is the v-brite 'dot' reticle the preferred reticle for precision shooting? I do not think so. I think it may be more suited for low light? hunting or maybe rapid? target acquisition at medium range targets. I have never shoot it beyond 100 yards and only targets have been checked and squares on paper. I could see the .6 MOA dot in the reticle covering a small target at longer distances.

Shooter: Novice; capable of shooting 3/4-1 MOA groups consistently with a rifle that is setup to shoot 1/2 MOA or better with a good shooter.

Performance: I will let the pictures tell the tale. I thought the grouping would be around 3/4 MOA for 5 round groups at 100 yards. Each group of 5 rounds ended up having two zingers. One group was the 1st and 4th round zingers and the other was 4th and 5th round zingers. The group on the top was the Federal ammo and i don't recall which were round count were zingers. Then the 3 round 25 yard group was okay.

Final Thoughts: It is a somewhat inexpensive tacticool rifle setup that I think it retails for about $1,000 ($700 rifle, $210 scope, $40 bipod, $20 rings, $20? riser). Street value maybe even under $1,000 including taxes. To improve my accuracy I need more trigger time. Maybe a new trigger to get down to around 1.2-1.5# or less to match the second stage of my AR10 triggers. I looked earlier and already forgot about aftermarket trigger prices. Timmey triggers I think run around $150 and the highend Jewell triggers around $250, please don't quote me on either bring exact. Then 175/178 ammo of quality match ammo to really bring the grouping together.

On to a few pictures!!!

4d73f1b59b8cac94540d006809455787.jpg

def0c6694a14d4b8762bbff26efa24e8.jpg

53b50f017d3408c2e14e6a99fbd759cb.jpg

4e310e042dacd61a7ca64f57458804f2.jpg

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The lower right target was shot by another shooter and is five rounds not four as it appears. The two zingers in his group were the 4th & 5th shots as mentioned above.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Get the timney trigger for the R700 set at factory 3.0lbs. You will never look back. Also make sure the barrel is truly free floating, even when you load the bipod. I had the AAC version and that flimsy hogue stock would flex when you would load the bipod and contact the barrel. I just used a Dremel and sanded down where it contacted the barrel until I saved up for a chassis system.

Doc

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my search for a little better accuracy from this rifle I made a few changes today. Swapped out the base and rings to a Leupold setup and a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10-44 that I had at the house. Then I did some bedding work on the stock. Maybe I'll get to hit the range this week maybe not.

ac8912a96e065b244d870c155470766b.jpg

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nice write up. Your 700 is screaming to be suppressed. LOL

I love mine. I mainly shoot subs that I reload but it does very well. Right now it has a Burris E III but going to move it to the Browning A-Bolt 30-06 and picked a SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope FFA on Black Friday and will be mounting it to the 700.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

21nfbf7.jpg

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been researching a 700 in .223 and although I have no hands-on advice, can I make some suggestions? A one piece rail will add rigidity to the action, 20moa seems to be the "norm" but for our range averages locally a 10moa would suffice. Bedding the rail will result in better repeatability as well. Bedding the action makes a big difference as well, not so much in precision but improves accuracy, again...repeatability. Having the action trued/blueprinted will increase precision as well. As we all seem to know, the hogue stocks are comfortable and look the part, but have way too much flex for a precision rig. Seems like you have the glass and the trigger part covered.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My Rem 700 SPS TAC

I have a 16.5" SPS TAC gun chambered in 308Win. It now wears a B&C stock,a one piece 0MOA rail(lapped to the top of the receiver),and just added Wyatt's DetMag bottom metal with a 5 shot mag.

Caution: While a prefer a one piece rail,it makes for some tough loading of the mag. The detachable mag setup is great. I keep three in the mag,open bolt,insert mag,close bolt, ........ easy. Unloading --> drop mag w/2rds,slowly open bolt,chambered rd drops out mag well into my hand. S W E E T !!

I have been using it deer hunting this season. While my hunting load is a Barnes 130gr TSX,this gun absolutely loves the 175gr Sierra's and the 155gr Palma's (Sierra) at about book med <--> hot. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00996.JPG
      DSC00996.JPG
      449.3 KB · Views: 443
    Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom